Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 Things I Learned the Hard Way or Wish I knew beforehand…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 Things I Learned the Hard Way or Wish I knew beforehand…

I thought I’d put together a top 10 list of things I learned during my 2021 rookie season. This was not my first year owning a boat or pwc, but definitely first year with a Mastercraft or inboard boat. Here are the top 10 things I wish I knew a year ago.

Here’s the top 10:

10. Put air in your trailer tires. All the way full. Fill em up. Get a good gauge and use it. This will save you so much trouble, especially if trailering any amount of distance. Don’t underestimate the value of good trailer tires, properly inflated.

9. Develop a checklist or routine for going out and coming in. Get a partner to help you and be your first mate. Pulling your wakeboard racks in needs to be on this list. And # 10.

8. My half ton Ford ecoboost truck isn’t as strong a tow machine as the manufacturer says it is. A 7500# boat will have its way with a ½ ton truck, no matter what the manufacture says. Yes it will pull it. Yes it will stop it. Is it fun or in any way smooth? Not so much.

7. Learn to drive the boat (away from hard objects). Take your time learning to drive an inboard. It isn’t rocket surgery but does take some practice. I’m no expert but I do remember when it all sort of clicked. For me, the feeling had to just set in.

6. Budget some crash money for repairs after the first year. I got away with replacing a minorly damaged swim deck, but it could have easily been worse. I’m OCD and most wouldn’t have noticed the damage but it drove me nuts.

5. Maybe don’t buy a new X-Star as your first MC. Learn on something a bit more aged and less expensive and perhaps smaller. This probably would have made my first year much more enjoyable (in some ways).

4. Shut your middle window before going down the highway. I can’t count how many times I jumped back up in the boat to close and latch that stupid window. See checklist.

3. Don’t let 300# 6’6” grandpa with bad knees sit on the seat that the cooler sits under when it 102* and no wind.

2. Plan more weekends away. Plan them, don’t assume you’ll use it as much as you think/dream

1. Remember to always Have fun. We had a blast and can’t wait to get out for the 2022 season.

Hopefully some of the things above help a new boater getting into the life of owning a Mastercraft. Chime in with things you wish someone told you. Hope you guys are all staying warm. This Forum has been invaluable to me over the past 1.5 years. The 6 mos up to buying the boat and the year after that… All good people here!

Good list. I like #2. I cant wait till spring!

Comment

Addendum to the have fun rule: You're always gonna wanna add/upgrade/modify/fix (especially on an old boat like mine). Don't let that take away from the fun (or even better, make it fun!)

Great list! Especially number 9, haha.
      Tim
      2021 Lone Star MasterBash
      Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
      1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
      1995 MC ProStar 205
      ISO MC 205V/XStar, X2

Comment

Great list!

To add to #9: I would personally recommend resisting the urge to allow others to help dock / retrieve / prep for travel. A lot of folks will offer to help, especially others with boats that also know the procedure... the problem is, they don't know YOUR procedure. After awhile, it becomes a routine, and you will forget that "center windshield closed" or "board racks in", type of issue less and less if you simply do it the same, in the same order, every time. My wife and I have ours down to a science..... but, the second one of us changes up, or someone else tries to help, it becomes easy to forget the rear tie downs or something similar (and usually simple) to overlook.

Glad you enjoyed your first MC-summer... now go get working on #2.

Comment

i try to pile in any anticipated repairs over the winter so it doesnt take away from the season, or make me rush through it to make it back out for a weekend in july.
          no so relevant to your brand new star, but i learned that the hard way with our 190 a handful of years ago. seems obvious now, but putting off fixing the fuel level sensor on that boat almost had us stranded on the river once haha

and i'll second #2 on your list. especially now that we have a toddler, really have to make concrete plans.

Comment

Never ever let someone else hook up your trailer to your tow vehicle.
            05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
            15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Originally posted by 86Skier View Post
              Great list!

To add to #9: I would personally recommend resisting the urge to allow others to help dock / retrieve / prep for travel. A lot of folks will offer to help, especially others with boats that also know the procedure... the problem is, they don't know YOUR procedure. After awhile, it becomes a routine, and you will forget that "center windshield closed" or "board racks in", type of issue less and less if you simply do it the same, in the same order, every time. My wife and I have ours down to a science..... but, the second one of us changes up, or someone else tries to help, it becomes easy to forget the rear tie downs or something similar (and usually simple) to overlook.

Glad you enjoyed your first MC-summer... now go get working on #2.
              Agree. We do all the checklist stuff, but hand the spray bottle and rags to people who want to help haha.
              Tim
              1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
              1995 MC ProStar 205
              ISO MC 205V/XStar, X2

Comment

Im a big checklist guy. Big fan. You might consider double checking you have, prior to leaving the house- Boat Keys. Dont ask me why Im saying this.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
                  Never ever let someone else hook up your trailer to your tow vehicle.
                  This! I allowed this with my sled trailer and was lucky my safety chains held.

Comment

Great list, especially #1, days at the lake do not always go as planned, doesn't mean it can't be a great time! Have Fun!
                    OH-IO!

Comment

Great list. Just finished my first summer with my first boat. Thankfully no big issues, but man she does not like to reverse straight!!! Docking, I learned needs to be done nice and slow. Getting the hang of it though and love skiing behind it! Also never forgot to put the drain plug in!!!
                      2000 MC SportStar
                      2017 SQ5
                      2009 KTM 530 Exc
                      2012 BMW K1300r

Comment

Great list. I'm not up to speed on the new tire specs, but when I started with MC's, a goodyear advisory recommended 10 psi over spec psi for trailering over 65 mph. (which was routine for me back then) Just to emphasize your point #10. All 10 are a great list.
                        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

#1 always install drain plug. I did it once and never again. First time out I was wondering why a 6 ft guy like me couldn't see over the windshield. The bow was so high in the air. Then realized my boat was full of water. Then try to drive it into the trailer for the first time while it's taking on water. Good times lol.

Comment

Also, check the ballast bag hose connections before you fill them if you’ve taken the bags out to work in the engine bay. Especially fast fill ballast hoses…
                            2022 XSTARS
                            2020 X22
                            2019 XT22
                            2017 XT20

Comment

Originally posted by Pro351 View Post
                              #1 always install drain plug. I did it once and never again. First time out I was wondering why a 6 ft guy like me couldn't see over the windshield. The bow was so high in the air. Then realized my boat was full of water. Then try to drive it into the trailer for the first time while it's taking on water. Good times lol.
                              Everyone does it once
                              Tim
                              1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
                              1995 MC ProStar 205
                              ISO MC 205V/XStar, X2

Comment

Working...
                              X