Shout out to Jaws Boat Repair - 40th Anniversary X Star Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shout out to Jaws Boat Repair - 40th Anniversary X Star Content

We purchased a 40th Anniversary X Star back in 2019. It had not been treated as well as we would have treated it and over the last couple of years we have done a lot of work on it. It has good bones but there were some little things, and some not so little things we have done over the last couple years. We had heard of Jaws Boat Repair and Tony Walker (on this forum I think. https://www.facebook.com/JAWSBOATREPAIR/ ) and had seen a lot of his work on social media. I reached out to Tony early on and he always helped us out giving us advice, pointing us in the right direction and helping us source parts. Tony worked at MC for a long time and KNOWS MasterCraft boats (and other boats as well).

I had been around MasterCraft boats for a while but had never owned one myself. I hadn't done a ton or research on options and the history of the different models. I just knew that I wanted an X Star, having wake boarded behind one a fair bit, and that a 2008-2009 was what the budget could afford. We happened to find a 40th a few hours away and we fell in love with it. However, I didn't know that there were some obvious signs, that a more experienced MasterCraft enthusiast may have noticed that were off.

They obviously only make the anniversary models for one year and so there are a limited number of cosmetic appointments available for these models should a replacement be needed. A previous owner had obviously gotten a little "close" to a dock or two and had a need to replace some graphics. Apparently, the 40th X Star graphics were not obtainable at the time so they created something close using the Pro Star graphics. I just didn't know any better.

The first picture shows the difference between a 40th X Star and Pro Star.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	359.1 KB ID:	2696928

Here is what our boat looked like. Notice the PS190 version of the 40th graphics?

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	850.1 KB ID:	2696930

At the end of this past season, we decided to take the boat to Tony to have him "clean it up" a bit. We had a few problems finding graphics and one of the 40th badges was in bad shape. Tony was meticulous and even identified that a previous owner had "repaired" a dock rub with a different sized metal flake. He pulled all of the graphics, fixed a number of gel coat "issues", fixed some hardware issues and re-sprayed the flake with the correct size. However, there was still the issue of the back crossing pattern graphics and the badges not being available anymore. So, Tony worked and created decals for the badges and the back crossing pattern. I think it all turned out better than the original because the crossing pattern font is larger and the pattern is longer and flows to the back of the boat instead of being cropped off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	824.1 KB ID:	2696931
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	302.4 KB ID:	2696932
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	113.1 KB ID:	2696933

Tony is a talented artist, had a wealth of knowledge and is excellent at what he does. He's great to work with and always communicated with me when he found issues, giving me all the options to let me decide which direction we wanted to go. I can't recommend him highly enough and that says a lot because I'm very picky. Thank you Tony for all of the time and effort you invested in our baby! And to top things off, today he found us a new 40th badge!

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	411.8 KB ID:	2696934
    Last edited by drspearing; 01-08-2022, 01:08 PM.

Tony is the best ... he is incredible ... I've seen multiple boats that he had restored and its incredible! He is also a great person ... highly recommend him

Comment

Such a gorgeous boat. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
      X