Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone rebuild a new Millenium Fuel Pump??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone rebuild a new Millenium Fuel Pump??

Curious if anyone has rebuilt one of the new Millenium fuel pumps? I finally replaced my 20 year old Carter fuel pump back in Aug. 2020 after ~750 hours of operation. Well, after 1.5 years and about 65 hours of operation, my new Millenium ($800) fuel pump is trashed. The pumps still work fine. The biggest issue is the metal sleeve the pump cartridges slide into have reacted with something in the gas and have totally corroded everything. My fuel rails and injectors were filled with this stuff. They have now been cleaned and look great. As I see it, I need 2 new exterior filters that fit the bottom exterior of the fuel pump housing and the filter that goes in-between the 2 pump cartridges. Also need the metal sleeves that the cartridges slide into. I'm not sure if those are part of the pump or not.

Here are some pictures. These pictures do not paint a pretty picture. My mechanic and I are amazed my boat even ran. Let me know if anyone knows part numbers and/or where to buy these parts. I know I can get the 2 exterior filters from Bakes Online, Inboard Garage, MCPartsDepot, or Midwest Mastercraft. Its really the filter that is inside the pump housing between the pump cartridges and the sleeves that I need.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by prostar205; 01-19-2022, 05:30 PM.
    2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

Where do you get your fuel from? Can only guess water in the fuel. Do you use fuel stabilizer?
    www.nwboatsports.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/NW-Bo...27792007306783

Comment

Originally posted by sand2snow22 View Post
      Where do you get your fuel from? Can only guess water in the fuel. Do you use fuel stabilizer?
      Only use super unleaded, non ethanol marina gas. Yes, I use Staybil once a year while I am winterizing the boat. This fuel pump has only been in the boat for 18 months. I just can't believe that much rust can build up in 18 months.

Comment

Ding, ding. Marina gas. Can be prone to water in the gas. Have them pour into a clear container and watch for separation.

Water goes to bottom of your tank too. You've had some water in that gas tank for awhile. I would drain the tank and again inspect for water in gas.
        www.nwboatsports.com
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/NW-Bo...27792007306783

Comment

I took a sample of the gas that is currently in my tank. Went all the way to the bottom of the tank to get a good sample. Let it sit for 10 minutes - absolutely no water. That doesn't mean there wasn't water in the tank 6, 9, 12 or 18 months ago. It just means there is no water now. There is about 30 gallons of fuel in the tank which is half full.

Comment

Originally posted by prostar205 View Post
            I took a sample of the gas that is currently in my tank. Went all the way to the bottom of the tank to get a good sample. Let it sit for 10 minutes - absolutely no water. That doesn't mean there wasn't water in the tank 6, 9, 12 or 18 months ago. It just means there is no water now. There is about 30 gallons of fuel in the tank which is half full.
            Tell me again what year model do you have, please? My 93 has 30 gallon full capacity.

I am still saying it's not just water. Too much going on there for rust.

US $0.02

93 190
            (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
              Tell me again what year model do you have, please? My 93 has 30 gallon full capacity.

US $0.02

2002 X30 with the 8.1L engine. 785 hours. 60 gallon fuel tank.

Comment

2002 X30 with the 8.1L engine. 785 hours. 60 gallon fuel tank.
                Thanks. I had to reel myself in a little. LOL... You tricked me....well, I tricked myself.
                93 190
                (safe click)

Comment

Thanks. I had to reel myself in a little. LOL... You tricked me....well, I tricked myself.
                  You must have thought I had a PS205 because of my screen name. I did have a 1995 PS205 which I loved but sold it for the X30.

Comment

Agree with this, no way your boat would run with that amount of water in the gas. I'm pretty sure normal (non-salt) water couldn't do that under any circumstances. Either salt water or some other chemical attack.
                    Last edited by dpb185; 01-10-2022, 08:24 AM.
                    2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

That whole pump needs to be replaced not rebuilt.

Comment

If there had been enough water in your tank to cause this level of corrosion of your fuel pump, there still would have been water in the bottom of the tank. Nowhere for that much water to go without draining the tank. I've had to drain water out of our club boat tank a few times. Once there is significant water build up in a tank, it's never all gone until you drain the tank.
                        Last edited by jpwhit; 01-10-2022, 12:36 PM.
                        -----------------------------------
                        Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
                        Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
                        Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

I'm thinking improper grounding that caused electrolysis. I mean look at that lower pump. It looks like a lab experiment from high school.

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                            I'm thinking improper grounding that caused electrolysis. I mean look at that lower pump. It looks like a lab experiment from high school.
                            There is a place on the pressure regulator for a ground wire. The only ground wire in the original harness is the green wire that is part of a 3 wire loom that connected into the yellow connector on top of the original Carter fuel pump. See picture below.

The new Millennium fuel pumps do not have the green wire as part of their 4 wire loom (dual fuel pumps require the 4 wire loom). However, the fuel pressure regulator on these new Millennium fuel pumps have a blade connector and that is where I hooked my ground into. The green wire then runs to the fuel filler neck. I know MC had a service bulletin to remove this ground but I never did that change. The second picture shows the top of the new Millennium fuel pump and I've circled the blade connector that is on top of the regulator. That is where I attached the green ground wire.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by prostar205; 01-10-2022, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I forgot to mention - both of the Bosch pump cartridges work without any issues. I just bench tested them and my boat ran "OK" when I winterized it. My big issue is I don't want to buy another new pump ($800) and have this happen again. I need to figure out what caused this.

Comment

Working...
                              X