Prostar 205 Vs. 205V Opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prostar 205 Vs. 205V Opinions wanted

All of this is for Wake boarding, possibly surfing and NO Skiing.

If I'm comparing a 205 and a 205V of the same year (1996 or newer), with the correct ballast setup to compensate for engine placement can I get the same wake with a 205 as I can with a 205V?

Also if anyone has done this, what will it look like? Do you have bags on your seats? Is there still room to walk around in the boat? Is this ill advised?

My preference would be a 205V but there seem to be more DD out there and at slightly better prices.

Opinions are appreciated.

Theoretically you'll get the same wake. Practically speaking... if you're not skiing, spend the extra money and get the 205v. By the time you're done pitting together the ballast setup on a 205, you'll probably spend at least half of tbe difference between a 205 and 205v, and it still won't be as practical or ergonomic (giant bag where rear seat would be, eliminating that seating).

Comment

You'll make it hard to move around a 205 (which is already tight) trying to make it the same as a 205V. Once you factor in gear/cooler/towels you'll barely have room for people haha. As a direct drive (205) owner casually looking for a v-drive purely for the space aspect, go for the v-drive (especially if you're not a hardcore skier).
      Tim
      2021 Lone Star MasterBash
      Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
      1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
      1995 MC ProStar 205
      ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

Comment

If you don't want the better slalom ski wake, go for the V-drive. The usefulness of the space in the cockpit is so much better with a v-drive than a DD.

Comment

205v for sure.

Comment

Make sure you learn the differences in the boats for each year. The biggest difference for us was the fact that the 2000 and newer models have wrap around seating. That plus pretty good ski wake plus good wakeboard wake made a 2000+ 205V a no-brainer for us.
            2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

205V all the way. We have an 05 X which is the 205V hull. It's one of the best all-around hulls MC ever made. After having two DD's the central space is sure nice.
              2005 X2, Viper Red, MCX, Acme 1285, PPass, rear 750 sacs, KBS, IBS, Bennett Wake Plate
              (previous) 2001 X5, 1991 TriStar 190

Comment

There’s no doubt you’ll be able to enjoy the boat more going 205V

the 205 will have sacs spread out everywhere covering the floor and rear seating to get the wake boosting. There will be next to zero useable seating or storage.

since you don’t want the slalom there is no reason to consider a 205 instead of a 205v. Hold out and keep your eyes open. Just be ready to pull the trigger when one shows up.
                CURRENT: 2008 SANTE 210 w NSS

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
                2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
                2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
                99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
                88 2001 Nautique

Comment

205v can literally do everything. One day we barefooted, slalomed, wakeboarded and surfed behind my 205v. It makes a great wakeboard wake and does everything good.

Comment

As others have said, if you are not worried about skiing there is not a reason to not go ahead and get the v other than the cost. That being said cost is always something to consider and if you are not worried about getting a lot of people out on the water then you could probably have just as much fun with a 205 unless you are a really experienced boarder.
                    Previous Boat- 1983 Stars and Stripes

Comment

the vdrive will have a bigger wake just because the engine is in the back and the big hatches that can accomidate 1000 pound bags on each side. No way you will ever be able to sink the stern as much in the direct drive version. If wakeboarding is your primary use spend the money and get the vdrive. walking over fatsacks in a direct drive sucks.especially for surfing

Comment

205v, i have a 205, friend had a 205v.. we compared ballasting and perf. 205v hands down for wake boarding and surf
                        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

When the OP mentions "not skiing" it should be the end of discussion. 205V is the choice.
                          Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

I have a '99 PS205 DD and we mainly ski/barefoot so it suits us, however it also has a really good wakeboard wake with a 550lbs fat sack in the rear in place of the seat. If we want to surf I add another 550 bag to the passenger side alongside the motor and a suck gate on the opposite side which works very well considering it is a DD ski biased hull. Once the fat sacks are full there is no walking room in the boat, you need to climb around the edges. The sacks are a PIA to fill and empty so we only do this at the end of the day.

In my opinion go for the 205V even if more expensive, it is more versatile for your watersports choices, has a more social seating lay out, and pretty good storage. You will also have a higher resale when you want to trade up so the initial price is slightly offset at the end.
                            Cheers

Mark

'99 Mastercraft ProStar 205 330-LTR

Comment

Originally posted by Mark rsa2au View Post
                              I have a '99 PS205 DD and we mainly ski/barefoot so it suits us, however it also has a really good wakeboard wake with a 550lbs fat sack in the rear in place of the seat. If we want to surf I add another 550 bag to the passenger side alongside the motor and a suck gate on the opposite side which works very well considering it is a DD ski biased hull. Once the fat sacks are full there is no walking room in the boat, you need to climb around the edges. The sacks are a PIA to fill and empty so we only do this at the end of the day.

In my opinion go for the 205V even if more expensive, it is more versatile for your watersports choices, has a more social seating lay out, and pretty good storage. You will also have a higher resale when you want to trade up so the initial price is slightly offset at the end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocks for BallastRS.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	2697363
                              93 190
                              (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                              X