Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice needed

    Good evening, I’m looking at buying an 02 Mastercraft XStar. The boat is in good condition with no major problems everything functions as it should. It has the original interior and the back engine cover needs replacing. It needs a new prop but everything else is in good condition. Everything is original and comes with a MasterCraft tandem axle trailer. Boat has around 700 hours on it. The trailer needs work, brakes replacing, new carpet, general rehab. It has the 310 hp predator engine and all cylinders with around 200 compression. What would you think the boat would be worth at this point? Thank you

  • #2

    Comment


    • #3
      Ballpark low $20's.
      Have you been able to see/hear it running? Do ballast, stereo, gauges, PPass all work?
      2005 X2, Viper Red, MCX, Acme 1285, PPass, rear 750 sacs, KBS, IBS, Bennett Wake Plate
      (previous) 2001 X5, 1991 TriStar 190

      Comment


      • #4
        There are many here who will have more knowledge on the price then me. I have been looking for a similar boat for almost a year and the $25,000 he is asking is mostly what I have seen. BUT he has had that boat posted for months at $25,000 and it doesn't look like he takes good care of anything at his house from the pictures.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by wheelerd View Post
          Ballpark low $20's.
          Have you been able to see/hear it running? Do ballast, stereo, gauges, PPass all work?
          I had a local dealer do a prepurchase inspection. They did a water test and everything works as it should. Does need a new prop, drive shaft packing, some upholstery work, steering cable is a little stiff, and trailer needs work.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mainely Wake View Post
            There are many here who will have more knowledge on the price then me. I have been looking for a similar boat for almost a year and the $25,000 he is asking is mostly what I have seen. BUT he has had that boat posted for months at $25,000 and it doesn't look like he takes good care of anything at his house from the pictures.
            If you’ve been in the market then you know there’s not many options out there. I’m getting the boat at $22,000. Is it worth $22,000? Is this a good deal or an average deal? NADA has it at about 29,000 for low retail, whatever that means LOL.

            Comment


            • #7
              In this market, it's a decent deal. Pre-covid, it would have sold for 22k at most, and more likely around 19-20k. Post-covid... who knows how prices will fluctuate. With entry level wakeboats from major manufacturers now creeping into the 100k range, there's a good chance the inflated prices are here to stay.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Juiced190 View Post

                If you’ve been in the market then you know there’s not many options out there. I’m getting the boat at $22,000. Is it worth $22,000? Is this a good deal or an average deal? NADA has it at about 29,000 for low retail, whatever that means LOL.
                Not a good deal in my opinion.

                Forget NADA.

                From the photos you posted, my opinion is that the boat is not in good condition as you describe however everything is relative.

                US $16-18K tops. That gives you an allowance to fix some of the things without buying underwater.

                There are plenty of boats available in the sense that panic buying is over. Panic gouging is still in some people's mind and good for them. Don't be a panic sucker. This era of boat buying is no different than other seasonal opportunities.

                Your call in the end but I'd be hard pressed to pay anything over US $18K for that boat. It is not in good condition...Fair condition at best, but I could be wrong.

                That boat has been taken care of about like the surrounding environment that is also in the photos.

                Did you see the dealer do the inspection (I suspect not) but did they document the inspection for you? How did they perform the compression test? Did you witness it or see the documented results? How do they know the packing needs replacing? Did they lake run with the engine cover open to see the packing gland leaking? You get my point. Two hundred psi at 700 hours on every cylinder is a red flag to me. I could be wrong.

                US $0.02

                .
                Last edited by waterlogged882; 01-18-2022, 08:27 AM.
                93 190
                (safe click)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Generally speaking, when someone is selling something, they make an effort to clean it to appease buyers.

                  When they don’t… like the way the bow floor looks in the one photo… I worry.

                  They either made zero effort at all…. Or, even worse, what if in their mind they did make an attempt to “clean” it and that floor area in the bow is actually cleaner than it usually was kept? That possibility is scary, and likely speaks volumes to the way the rest of the boat was probably cared for. In my mind, if even the most visible, easiest to clean areas are left that unkept (likely out of laziness), my head instantly wanders to thinking about the harder to reach areas, or the vast amount of potentially unperformed maintenance and overall care the boat saw over its life.

                  Personally, unless something was a steal of a deal and I was knowingly buying it as a project, I’d walk regardless of price if an item of any kind looked like that when I looked it over.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 86Skier View Post
                    Generally speaking, when someone is selling something, they make an effort to clean it to appease buyers.

                    When they don’t… like the way the bow floor looks in the one photo… I worry.

                    They either made zero effort at all…. Or, even worse, what if in their mind they did make an attempt to “clean” it and that floor area in the bow is actually cleaner than it usually was kept? That possibility is scary, and likely speaks volumes to the way the rest of the boat was probably cared for. In my mind, if even the most visible, easiest to clean areas are left that unkept (likely out of laziness), my head instantly wanders to thinking about the harder to reach areas, or the vast amount of potentially unperformed maintenance and overall care the boat saw over its life.

                    Personally, unless something was a steal of a deal and I was knowingly buying it as a project, I’d walk regardless of price if an item of any kind looked like that when I looked it over.
                    ^ ^ this x 2

                    .
                    93 190
                    (safe click)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I’d like to thank everyone for their responses and opinions on this boat. I was considering buying the boat at $22,000 but after the prepurchase inspection, the local dealer, Ski And Sports, said the battery was dead and needed to be replaced. The owner of the boat refused to replace the battery and wouldn’t back off of the price at all and that just didn’t sit well with me so I decided not to purchase. If anyone is interested in the prepurchase inspection and interested in this boat I have the information.
                      Last edited by Juiced190; 01-18-2022, 10:13 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Juiced190 View Post

                        If you’ve been in the market then you know there’s not many options out there. I’m getting the boat at $22,000. Is it worth $22,000? Is this a good deal or an average deal? NADA has it at about 29,000 for low retail, whatever that means LOL.
                        "A good deal" is subjective. If you search this forum you will find nicer examples of that boat sold for less so in that sense, No $22,000 is not a good deal. After spending a year searching Boat Trader, Only Inboards and checking every CL across the country, every day, I can agree there is a limited supply of these boats on the market. I don't know how far you want to travel for a boat and I don't know how badly you want one. If you want a boat right now and don't want to wait, you have the cash, and can afford to fix a BUNCH of things on it, buy it. But waterlogged882 and 86Skier are right about the condition, so buyer beware.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm casually looking for an older XStar/X2 and want to echo waterlogged. I think people are still trying to dump their poorly cared for boats on the market for top dollar and are starting to realize people aren't biting anymore. I'm starting to see price drops on more and more boats. I'd say be patient and keep checking the various sites (or try to negotiate to a lower price on that one and fix it, 22-25k is too high imo).
                          Tim
                          2021 Lone Star MasterBash
                          Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
                          1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
                          1995 MC ProStar 205
                          ISO MC 205V/XStar, X2

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'll echo the comments about the buyer making no effort to clean it up. I've got a 2002 PS209 I'll be selling in the spring, and know very well how the vinyl of this year stains easily and is hard to clean. However, that doesn't mean it is impossible to clean. They just didn't try. Also, the pictures of the engine area and bow floor show no effort. If the seller's hangup is putting a battery in, then they must not really want to sell it.
                            Chris
                            2001 Prostar 209

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Bad vibes from seller, definitely walk away.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X