No announcement yet.

Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I offered the guy $19,000 cash and he said he already had an offer of $21,500 and that if I wanted it I would have to pay $22,000. He’s had the boat for 15 years so sounds like he’s pretty firm on his price. I’m not going to purchase this boat. It is available still.

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

Not a good deal in my opinion.

Forget NADA.

From the photos you posted, my opinion is that the boat is not in good condition as you describe however everything is relative.

US $16-18K tops. That gives you an allowance to fix some of the things without buying underwater.

There are plenty of boats available in the sense that panic buying is over. Panic gouging is still in some people's mind and good for them. Don't be a panic sucker. This era of boat buying is no different than other seasonal opportunities.

Your call in the end but I'd be hard pressed to pay anything over US $18K for that boat. It is not in good condition...Fair condition at best, but I could be wrong.

That boat has been taken care of about like the surrounding environment that is also in the photos.

Did you see the dealer do the inspection (I suspect not) but did they document the inspection for you? How did they perform the compression test? Did you witness it or see the documented results? How do they know the packing needs replacing? Did they lake run with the engine cover open to see the packing gland leaking? You get my point. Two hundred psi at 700 hours on every cylinder is a red flag to me. I could be wrong.

US $0.02

SPOT ON. I like to look at the property and the condition of the sellers daily driver and garage. FWIW: The interiors during these period didn't last. Keep looking: priced too high and seller is a hard case.
      Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainely Wake View Post

"A good deal" is subjective. If you search this forum you will find nicer examples of that boat sold for less so in that sense, No $22,000 is not a good deal. After spending a year searching Boat Trader, Only Inboards and checking every CL across the country, every day, I can agree there is a limited supply of these boats on the market. I don't know how far you want to travel for a boat and I don't know how badly you want one. If you want a boat right now and don't want to wait, you have the cash, and can afford to fix a BUNCH of things on it, buy it. But waterlogged882 and 86Skier are right about the condition, so buyer beware.
        Historically, yes, better examples sold for less. However, Covid drove up used boat prices by up to 50%, especially the older boats. Using historical data is not relevant in today's market. Even though things have slowed down, a 20% increase over historical is what I would consider to be fair in the current market. Of course, things could crash in the next year, but it's hard to say.

Comment

As many have stated previously, condition and whether a deal is good or not is very subjective but to me that boat doesn't look well cared for nor would I pay 22K. For reference here are a couple pics of my interior of a 2001 Prostar 209. Original carpet and upholstery. Whenever I see people saying it's nearly impossible to take care of this era upholstery I either must have gotten very lucky or all my care over the years has paid off. I have had many people ask me when I redid the interior and when I tell them it's original they usually don't believe me for a 20+ year old boat. My secret? towels, lots of towels. Nobody rides in the boat unless they're sitting on a towel. I never leave the seats sitting out in the sun without a towel over them. I also cover other stuff like the dash etc. I'm sure many others do something similar on here.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 01star View Post
            As many have stated previously, condition and whether a deal is good or not is very subjective but to me that boat doesn't look well cared for nor would I pay 22K. For reference here are a couple pics of my interior of a 2001 Prostar 209. Original carpet and upholstery. Whenever I see people saying it's nearly impossible to take care of this era upholstery I either must have gotten very lucky or all my care over the years has paid off. I have had many people ask me when I redid the interior and when I tell them it's original they usually don't believe me for a 20+ year old boat. My secret? towels, lots of towels. Nobody rides in the boat unless they're sitting on a towel. I never leave the seats sitting out in the sun without a towel over them. I also cover other stuff like the dash etc. I'm sure many others do something similar on here.
            Ehh, yeah I guess you never have to redo your interior if you never actually touch it. Your boat is nice. But... different strokes, as they say. Towel mandate is not for me.

Comment

This market is just incomprehensible. Boats today in 2022 are selling for what they would have sold for in 2009. For the same boat. A used '07 X2 could be bought in the $40's in '09. Now 13 years later they grab the same price. And I'm not one who "minds" paying a bit more for some things. I've never looked for a steal when buying a boat. Just always looked for the right boat at a fair price. I'm interested to watch this market over the next few years. We can't be that far from a similar cliff that we fell off in '08.
              Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

I'd waive $18K in Cash in front of him- If he has a buyer at $21.5K, it would have sold already! Boats looks like the surroundings as others have said- some TLC would bring it back around
                Mike D.
                05- X9
                06- X9

Comment

Well done. It's pretty much unheard of to have that era with original upholstery in that condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Huckelfin View Post

Ehh, yeah I guess you never have to redo your interior if you never actually touch it. Your boat is nice. But... different strokes, as they say. Towel mandate is not for me.
                    I'm sort of use it, then clean it right away. I'm not putting plastic on my sofa to protect like my grandmother did. But there is something to be said for that too.

Comment

For the OP, idk if this is a boat you would consider but I have been eyeing this one for a few months. https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2000...-205v-8050378/ I would have called on it if my wife hadn't vetoed the idea of a road trip to Texas. A few things I noticed were no hours listed, and looks like he power loads it, which isn't my cup of tea but to each their own. Plus it's been for sale for a while at a decent price which is a little odd. But maybe it will be a great boat, no idea, best of luck in the search.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                        This market is just incomprehensible. Boats today in 2022 are selling for what they would have sold for in 2009. For the same boat. A used '07 X2 could be bought in the $40's in '09. Now 13 years later they grab the same price. And I'm not one who "minds" paying a bit more for some things. I've never looked for a steal when buying a boat. Just always looked for the right boat at a fair price. I'm interested to watch this market over the next few years. We can't be that far from a similar cliff that we fell off in '08.
                        seems like watching new boat prices would give some indication of when thats coming. id guess some of the rise is just a lack of the same "affordable" new options youd have found in '09 (covid notwithstanding)

Originally posted by Yellow X9 View Post
                        I'd waive $18K in Cash in front of him- If he has a buyer at $21.5K, it would have sold already! Boats looks like the surroundings as others have said- some TLC would bring it back around
                        this
                        im not seeing anything there that some off season sorting wont fix. seems like it has solid bones. dont discount just how much youll sink into the trailer getting it completely sorted but none of it is rocket science and has been well documented here.
                        on the other hand if the guys a total pain to deal with, then thats that...

Comment

Originally posted by Huckelfin View Post

Fair enough, like you said different strokes. For me, and people who ride in my boat it's not that big of a hassle to sit on a towel. I also don't allow spray on tan/sunscreen as it leaves a mess.

Comment

I offered $19,000 cash and he said no. I was actually willing to pay $22,000 cash after I paid $400 for a lake test and prepurchase inspection by the local reputable, previous Mastercraft dealer in that area. But when he said he wouldn’t replace the battery it just didn’t sit well with me. I mean who sells a boat without a working battery. I’m sure it’s been done before and it may be silly to not buy a boat over $100 battery but for me it was just the principle of it. The boat is in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I live in Nashville Tennessee area. I never did see the boat in person so I can’t judge but the dealer that did the inspection has an excellent reputation and was referred to me on the MasterCraft TeamTalk Facebook page.

Comment

Having just bought a 2000 205V (not XStar) a little over a year ago, good condition, 500-700 hr, 2000-2001 XStars were selling for $25k. Not sure if this is still true but that's about where the market was when we were looking. Since my family is primarily skiers, we went with the 205V over the XStar because of the price difference.
                              Last edited by dpb185; 01-19-2022, 07:50 PM.
                              2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Fair enough, like you said different strokes. For me, and people who ride in my boat it's not that big of a hassle to sit on a towel. I also don't allow spray on tan/sunscreen as it leaves a mess.
                                Where do you stand on Cheetos and Orange Soda?

Comment

Working...
                                X