Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MasterCraft X2, the good, the bad, the ugly…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MasterCraft X2, the good, the bad, the ugly…

I’m been a member of this forum since 2009. Have owned 91 Prostar, 92 Prostar, 94 205, 96 190, 03 197, and 04 X7. The information has been invaluable from this group. I sold my 04 X7 last fall and for the first time I’m looking for a V drive. I’m looking for the newer model X2 with pickle fork bow. Please advise me on what to look for, avoid and any concerns. Also are there any model years to avoid based on troubled issues or bad experience? Thank you
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Juiced190; 01-25-2022, 05:36 PM.

2012s are not desired. You can get by with a single axle trailer, but the tandem is better. Gen2 surf started in 2013 or 2014. I think 2013s were retrofits. Tower folds down better and bimini goes up and down awesome on the 2013 and newer. The 06-11 would fit in a 7' door, but not easily. 2012 and newer will not clear a 7' door without trailer modification. Autolaunch started in 2012, but it uses all trim tabs with gen2. It's awesome with all 3 tabs. 2013-2014 had screen ghosting issues supposedly from a bad batch of screens. I haven't heard of any lately, so hopefully the bad ones have all been weeded out. The newer model x2 doesn't slalom as well as its predecessor, but it rides in rough water way better. You can still slalom behind it with the attitude plate, but the bump is hard. I've taken mine through the course a few times. It helps with not looking at the balls though because you can't see them due to the spray of hitting the wake...

Comment

We sold our 14 X2 with gen 2 in March for the full asking price. 70k exactly what we paid for it new. Good luck. Gen 2 on an X2 throws a remarkable surf wave.
      Attached Files
      Our 2014 X2 is Sold.

Comment

My friend had an 06 or 07 X2 with the reliable Indmar 350 - my first experience behind or in an MC and it was a fun boat! We tried everything behind it, decent for skiing, nice for boarding, but surfing wasn’t great until we added extra bags. Probably a lot better in the Gen 2 models. Handling was good and very nimble, but you definitely noticed the extra weight when fully loaded.

To fit it in his garage, he pretty much had to completely disassemble the ZFT tower and remove the swim platform, but it fit.

To my knowledge, the only issue he had was replacing a failed high pressure in-tank fuel pump which I guess is common.

Comment

I owned an 09' X2 - Loved, loved, loved that boat! Super easy and nimble to dock - Good in rough water - VDIG screen, no issues - Skied OK with the center tab, this is pre-surf tabs. Surfed well with extra ballast listed. WB wake was decent with extra ballast, just a bit wider, not super steep. 07' to 08' you will need to have the ballast timers re-programmed for extra ballast I believe, 09' were user adjustable. as others have said, 12' was medallion screen, had some issues. 13' you can add/integrate larger surf tabs, 14' up large surf tabs standard. 4 point towers, which were up to 2011 I believe were a pain to collapse vs the 2 point towers of today! Be careful, the early design of the 2 point towers were ugly, not the swoop version of 13' to current.

Comment

Avoid 2012 as they have electronic/screen/vdig problems. I would never buy a 2012. I would also never buy an 8.1L, but I don't think you will find an X-2 with the 8.1 in it....but I could be wrong about that.
            2003 ProStar 197, MCX and Powerslot.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson
            "Freedom is beneficial to everyone equally" - Ron Paul
            Taxation = Theft

Comment

As an owner of a ’14 X2 who went back and forth over buying an older model with mechanical tech vs a post-2013 with Gen 2, I can say without a doubt, aim for '13 or newer if you can find one and swing it. I've become a believer, even though I do miss the simplicity of my Skier every day. I bought mine as my family grew and our [mostly their] preferences changed.

The X2 isn't a big boat by today’s standards, but it’s one of the roomiest 20-footers I've been on. It won't ski like a prostar.... but it will ski fine for family fun. We don’t wakeboard much, but the surf wake is definitely impressive enough for us with gen 2, bigger bags in the rear lockers, and 400lbs of lead dispersed throughout.

We love ours.

One note of advice: Tandem axle trailer or bust. I can't see comfortably towing an X2 down the highway with gear, full fuel, and added lead on a single.

Comment

I have a 2008 model which is the only boat I've ever owned so I don't have much to compare it to, but I still have a few notes. First of all, I have been more than pleased with my decision to buy it. For me it's right in the sweet spot of having all of the things I need, has plenty of modern creature comforts, is capable enough of doing pretty much everything I want it to do, but isn't overloaded with electronics and mechanisms that are difficult or expensive to repair or replace. I can pretty much do all work on it myself, which is good because there are several upgrades that I consider mandatory. It will need a lot of extra ballast if you want it to surf well. First off, getting the ballast timers reprogrammed is a MUST DO. Additionally, I have 700# bags in each of the rear lockers and roughly 650# in the bow and use the attitude plate and a Swell shaper and I'm quite happy with the wave even when my wife is driving with zero additional crew. If we do bring other people along, it gets even better! On the flip side, my wife greater prefers slalom skiing over surfing, so we can empty the bags, change the perfect pass speed, and we go from surf to slalom in 10 minutes. It won't be the wake of a Prostar, but it still suits her well. I also love that it drives so easily and doesn't drink gas like the larger wake barges, but still has plenty of power (I have the RTP engine) and only feels sluggish when we have a full crew which is rare. Maybe most importantly, whenever we take out friends and family everyone is always very comfortable and has a ton of fun, which at the end of the day is what it's all about! Bonus points: It's a good-lookin' boat and I get a lot of compliments on it! I'm sure you'll get a lot of positive responses on this thread, as there are a million reasons why these models are still so desirable.

Comment

We have an '07 and it has been a really good family boat for us. It is not unusual to have 7 or 8 people in the boat has our kids invite friends or other family members with us. However, any more than that space gets tight in a hurry. We tube and surf mostly. Our boat has the 5.7 mcx, no power issues even with extra ballast full and the boat full of people. I did install a new prop to help with all the extra weight that surfing requires, I purchased from OJ prop. I use the new slim version of suck gate made by SWELL. The trailer is also a dual axle and agree with others that is a necessity if pulling any kind of distance. Overall, we really enjoy the boat and have not regretting the purchase!

Comment

I absolutely loved my 07 X2, might be my favorite of my past 5 Mastercrafts. It did everything well, wakeboarding, surfing, cruising and even tubing. I like my X25 a lot, but still might go back to an X2 someday (I kept the bow filler cushion when I sold it just in case)

Mine had a single axle trailer and the 310 RTP, both of these preformed great!
                    OH-IO!

Comment

I used to drool over WakeCumberland's 2006 X2. Don't know if anybody here remembers that boat, but man it was clean. All white, best 4-point tower ever made for that hull IMO. He ultimately sold it, but had somewhere north of 6 or 700 hours on her. MC lost me in 07 with that hull when they went to the "lightning" tower.
                      ¡Viva 205V!
                      2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Good advice here, and the X2 is a great boat.....We owned one for 6 years and loved it. I would add;

* Decent surf wake and wakeboard wake for the era. Wakeboard wake was wide and not as rampy as some tho.
                        * Hard ballast tanks can rupture on some of these as they are not as robust as the newer boats. Especially some with incorrect DYI piggyback installs.
                        * Will need extra ballast in bow and in lockers and/or lead for a good wake
                        * If you can score a '14 with Gen 2 and the newer tower, that would the gem.
                        * Single axel trailer works, but boat its fairly heavy (not compared to new ships) so tandem is nice.
                        * I had issues with my VDIG, not complete failure, but screen discolored. So some prefer the pre-VDIG versions.
                        * Good room inside for the size
                        * Both my JL audio amps (M6450s) died. JL tower speakers dry rotted (southern boat)
                        * if you have ZFT3 and 4 speakers, it can be heavy to fold
                        * you will need prop upgrade if you add extra ballast

Comment

I have a 12, not as bad as some make it out to be with the updated firmware. Screen can be flaky here and there, but honestly, you can always pull out the BIG..... Also, I've never known a boat that hasnt had something you have to tweak.... have had mine 6 seasons now.

Comment

Big issue with 2012 is ballast timers are locked. If you want to add additional ballast, you have to wire it in yourself.

Comment

Another potential concern with the 2012 models, is since they are a single year 1-off, unique replacement parts for that model may become rare sooner.
                              -----------------------------------
                              Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
                              Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
                              Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Working...
                              X