Pros and cons of boat slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and cons of boat slip

I’m considering renting a boat slip at a local marina for the first time and want some opinions and advice from members that have tried this or is currently in this situation. The slip is 24’ has a lift that is for sale for $2000. My boat is an 07 MC X2. My main concern is not having my boat at my home where I know it is protected. I know access may be easier but just not sure I wanna leave my boat that far away from my home. All advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Click image for larger version

Name:	B42CF951-B34F-4F17-A56E-8A543BD1519E.jpg
Views:	1582
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	2698430

We are keeping our xt24 on a lift at the marina this summer. I went back and forth. I have always had my older boat stored on the trailer at a climate controlled storage near the lake for easy on and off. But now I have 2 small kids and I want to optimize the usage time. So, instead of having the hassle of trailering it and launching it we are keeping it on a new HydroHoist lift. Most marinas are locked gates during evening with access limited to those who have their boats stored. Ours is also monitored on camera. I think it will be pretty safe. Will suck to have the boat out in the sun all the time, but we got an over the tower cover. I didn’t spend that kind of money on a toy for it to be a hassle to use. We plan on keeping the boat on the water all year long. So there is no excuse not to use it. 45 mins to the marina and I’m on the water in minutes. As opposed to stress of trailering it etc.
    Last edited by zpacheco; 02-05-2022, 03:49 PM.

Comment

This is really a question?? If you have access to get a slip with a lift, get a slip with the lift. This should take exactly and precisely 0 brainpower to figure out

Comment

The pro is convenience. It may not seem like it of you've never had a lift, but being able to drive to the water, step on the boat and go is a game changer for many people. Have you ever decided against taking the boat out after work because of the time it would take to drive home, hook up, drive to the ramp, load up afterward, etc? Have you ever had to adjust your schedule or avoided going out altogether because of how busy the ramp would be? Do you have a designated "tow vehicle"that you have to drive to the lake every time you go? All that goes away. Go straight from work for an hour if you want. Drive the convertible or the bike. Avoid the ramps.

The only real cons would be 1. Spiders (in a covered slip). Spider webs and spider droppings. 2. Depending on the dock, security for your belongings and having to carry your boards and gear back and forth. This is rarely an issue in an actively managed marina in my experience but it is something to consider. 3. Expense.

Im sure there are situations where a covered slip with lift is not the best option if you can swing it, but for the majority of people, its well worth it.

Oh and a 4th con, the wife may want to take the boat out herself with her friends since there is no trailer involved

Comment

No cons at all. You will enjoy it more at the marina

Comment

First there are always trade offs between the two. I loved having my boat in the garage. It was always very clean and I could dink around on it anytime I wanted. That said even though I had a skilled crew to launch/retrieve the boat that didn't do anything for the wally's that lurk at the launch. I've gotten a scratched bumper on the truck, a crack fender on the trailer and probably 2 or 3 broken tail lights over the years as well.

IMO I'm with willt. The best would be a covered lift in your back yard but a covered well with a lift is just as good if you don't live on the water. As people commented you will have to deal with spiders so be prepared to buck up there and show your man skills at dealing with insects in general. Theft can be a problem so you should be expect to take most valuables out of the boat at the end of the day. If the marinia doesn't provide carts an investment in a collapsible will go a long way in making the loading and unloading more manageable.

The only other thing I can think of not related to the + or - aspect is the lift. I would have it completely checked out and serviced now, well before the season started since you're going to be dealing with an unknown there. And as my lift dealer says.... "there are only 2 kinds of hydraulic hoists, the ones that are leaking and that will be". It would be nice to know which you have before the season starts.

Comment

Covered slip on a lift? No brainer its worth it. You can run to the lake at a moments notice, boat is always ready to go. I keep mine on the lift all spring and summer. I keep a storage unit at the lake too where I keep my trailer and a few other things. Totally worth it if you go to the lake more than once a month. Pro is much easier to go to the lake, cons is the added cost but year sip rental is about the same cost as a four day vacation so i can have a lot more fun through the summer than going somewhere for four days.

Comment

Think about how you're going to manage all your watersports and boat stuff. We have a lot more equipment than we can fit in our boat so keeping the boat in a storage unit is better for us. Plus cleaning supplies, waxing/buffing supplies, boat spare parts, boat maintenance supplies, life jackets, wet suits, all that takes up space.
                2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced190 View Post
                  My main concern is not having my boat at my home where I know it is protected. I know access may be easier but just not sure I wanna leave my boat that far away from my home.
                  In my own experience, I found that your neighbors at the Marina help keep an eye on your stuff. I'm not saying leave the keys in the boat or your $1500 ski in it, but The neighborhood watch does help.
                  The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

Get the slip and lift. The lift sounds like a bargain. We rented a slip and loved the convenience. We bought a house last spring just for the slip. The combo of a slip and lift makes life easier and boating more enjoyable.

We have a lockable fiberglass dock box to keep boards in.

Comment

I honestly hate only one thing about having a slip and lift at a marina. The 20 seconds it takes to write the check. Other than that for me and my family it is a game changer in all the right ways. Convenient, fun, massive reduction in stress related boat ramp issues, easy to dodge weather, easy to go out for an hour if on limited time, etc etc etc.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	81FiIj8084S._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	317.9 KB ID:	2698544 My only concern would be theft. I'm not sure where you're located or how secure the site is but I would consider getting an additional way to lock up your boat. I recently bought a lock/chain that can't be cut for when I leave my boat in the water overnight. It dawned on me that someone could easily come into a marina via boat and hook up a boat and leave with it. I know that I wouldn't get the money back that my boat is worth from insurance so I'm taking additional precautions. Here is what I'm using below, I hook it through the bow eye and then around a secure pole on the dock.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I wouldn't have a boat unless I had a place to keep it...
                          Hello, my name Ryan!

Comment

Thank everyone for the advice and the excellent information. I’m learning something with every response, so please keep it coming. Just curious what people have paid for hoist in the past? Is $2000 in a reasonable price to pay? Also what is a 24’ slip rent for in your area? I’m going to look at the whole is today in the slip.

Comment

Originally posted by 01star View Post
                              Click image for larger version Name:	81FiIj8084S._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	317.9 KB ID:	2698544 My only concern would be theft. I'm not sure where you're located or how secure the site is but I would consider getting an additional way to lock up your boat. I recently bought a lock/chain that can't be cut for when I leave my boat in the water overnight. It dawned on me that someone could easily come into a marina via boat and hook up a boat and leave with it. I know that I wouldn't get the money back that my boat is worth from insurance so I'm taking additional precautions. Here is what I'm using below, I hook it through the bow eye and then around a secure pole on the dock.
                              This is a great idea. Where did you purchase this lock?

Comment

Working...
                              X