No announcement yet.

Pros and cons of boat slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we have had our x2 on a lift for the past 7 years. main thing is having a solid cover to prevent gel fading. had a over the tower cover which i loved but it rotted out pretty quick. used skiboatcovers.com and got one with side skirts that also covers the transom.
    Attached Files

Comment

My 6600lb lift was 10K new. If the lift is in good working condition, 2K sounds like a good deal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced190 View Post

This is a great idea. Where did you purchase this lock?
        I bought it on Amazon, I believe I got the 9 foot chain and it's a perfect amount to run through the bow eye to a secure location. I think it was $150 but what's $150 when you have a beautiful, expensive MC? Feels good at night knowing my boat is secure. A thief is going to go to the easiest path of resistance.

Comment

Also works well as an additional lock/security measure to lock trailer up by running through the rims. 9 Feet works perfect for both uses.
          Attached Files

Comment

I agree with the statements above — get the slip and you’ll never look back.

Cons
            —Paying rent on the slip
            —No fuel on my lake, so we’re lugging 5gal cans to fill it up
            —Lots of spiders, bugs and bird dropping to clean off the cover
            —I’m able to store all the toys in the boat under the cover, but always worry about someone opening her up and taking boards, etc but have never had a problem
            —Hours on the boat go up much faster (we use it a lot more which is a pro for sure, but hours on the engine are the down side of that)
            —Only gets cleaned 3-4 times/season
            —About once per season an animal of some sort will eat a fish on my swim platform

Pros
            —No more fighting with the line or morons at the ramps
            —Get on the lake almost daily during the season because if we have a free hour and a half we can go and have fun, where from our garage 1.5 hours would barely be enough to get it hooked up, to the ramp, in the water, then back out, covered and back in storage.
            —Ramps on our lake close at sunset, so our boating days get extended by not needing to get off the lake in the evenings. A side benefit here is that most of the morons have to head for the ramp as sunset approaches, so later in the day gets better on the lake.
            —If we need to take a break and get off the water for an hour in the middle of a big day, no problem, tie up in our slip and go. I’d be a lot more nervous about leaving it in a guest slip in a marina unattended for any duration as it would be more likely to get stolen there.
            —Since getting a slip on the water, or boating time has nearly tripled each season.

My slip is on a secured dock at the opposite end of the lake from the ramps, so it would be quite a production for someone to take the boat. I don’t worry too much about it being stolen. During daylight hours there are almost always people in and out, and after a month or two into the season, we all know each other and look out for each other’s boats. My boat is nice for sure, but not the nicest or worst boat on the dock — I doubt mine would be near the top of anybody’s list to steal.

With regard to the chain in posts above, I only really see it stopping a casual thief. If you’re running it through a bow eye, any bolt cutters would go through the eye like butter, and they’re relatively cheap and easy to replace. If you feel you need to stop casual thieves $20 of SS chain and an $8 lock will do that.

There are plenty of MCOCD people her who would cringe, but my slip is uncovered, and my boat sits in the water (no lift) all season long. Fortunately the water here is pretty clean, but scum does build up. I put multiple coats of wax on before she goes in the water at the beginning of the season, pull her out somewhere in the middle for a deep clean and wax, then at the end of the season pay for an acid wash and wax. Sitting in the water all the time has not resulted in a single blister in the fiberglass or any other type of deformation.

I did replace the original cover with an Evolution cover last season, sitting in the sun all day for several years had taken a toll on the OEM cover.

—Sky
            ------------------------------------------------
            2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
            2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

We keep ours in a marina, on a lift, underneath a touchless cover, [Link: https://touchlesscover.com/] and we love it. We don't winterize, just put a block heater in it; and the Marina is really good about notifying us of any power outages. When its hibernating for awhile we put the mooring cover on underneath the touchless, or we will just yank it and stick it in a heated warehouse under the mooring cover.

I love a slip/marina setup so much I can't put a dollar value on the benefit of not having to launch and recover every time. If I could, it would most certainly be well past what I can afford (23 yo, fresh out of school)

2020 Table Rock Mastercraft Reunion Poker Run Champion

I lead the fight to ban the swimsuit thread, help me bring it back: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...58#post1494758

"LDA never saw a thread he couldn't run off the rails"

Comment

I've had my 190(s) on a lift since 1991. The ability to just drop the boat is awesome. One piece of advice: make the lift bunks just like your trailer bunks: same separation, same angles, same length and relax. I do take my boat off the lift in the winter to put it in storage on the trailer, just because I pay for trailer storage
                1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

$2k for a lift is pretty reasonable assuming decent shape. I sold a used 5k lift about 5 years ago for $2500. It was in decent shape and had several years left. Finding a slip with a lift is likely going to be much more cost effective than finding a slip and adding a lift. The cost to move a lift is not cheap if you are not able to DIY.

Comment

I agree. we could not find a used lift that was going to work for us. So, we had to buy new. Went with a hydro hoist and it was over 12K new/installed. We lucked into a slip this summer, as they seem to never be available on the lake we use and the wait list is years long on the marinas that actually have wait lists. We dont have our boat yet, it is delayed, but cant wait to put it in the slip. Now I'm hoping to be able to buy a cover from skiboatcovers.com when they have the waterline cover available for the xt24. We have a lot of red metal flake (woo pig!) and dont want it in the sun. Our slip is covered. Those of you that use slips at a marina what if any storage locker do you all have?

Comment

We have had a slip since 1993. All pros and cons are about right. Couple more. Make sure the slip roof goes several feet behind the boat for coverage from rain and sun. Also, I use 2 covers. One cover that comes with the boat and another that goes from the very front all the way back to the swim platform. Also, do not recommend tying the MC straps to the support structure of the lift. Learned this the hard way

Comment

Does anyone know what type of lift this is? This is in the slip I’m looking at leasing. It was left there by the previous owner and I would be buying it from the marina. They don’t know anything about it and I don’t know anything about it at this point. It seems to perform as it should but I’m not exactly sure how it works. I’m wondering if this is a good option and if it will work with the weight of an X2. It’s $2000. I’ve never been around or used a hydro type lift so any information will be helpful and appreciated.
                        Thanks

Click image for larger version  Name:	EE9F11FB-140D-4A19-8A26-FCCB550640B7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.61 MB ID:	2699122
                        Attached Files

Comment

I personally don't know anything about those types of hoists but I don't see how that one would would work with an Inboard or vDrive. Bunks are way too low and there's no room for the prop or prop shaft without hanging everything way out the back. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong but my boat wouldn't be on that lift.

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                            I personally don't know anything about those types of hoists but I don't see how that one would would work with an Inboard or vDrive. Bunks are way too low and there's no room for the prop or prop shaft without hanging everything way out the back. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong but my boat wouldn't be on that lift.
                            That’s what I was thinking. I believe the bunks can be adjusted to fit the particular boat but would like to hear from someone with this type of lift.
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced190 View Post
                              Does anyone know what type of lift this is? This is in the slip I’m looking at leasing. It was left there by the previous owner and I would be buying it from the marina. They don’t know anything about it and I don’t know anything about it at this point. It seems to perform as it should but I’m not exactly sure how it works. I’m wondering if this is a good option and if it will work with the weight of an X2. It’s $2000. I’ve never been around or used a hydro type lift so any information will be helpful and appreciated.
                              Thanks

Click image for larger version Name:	EE9F11FB-140D-4A19-8A26-FCCB550640B7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.61 MB ID:	2699122
                              That looks like a Premier Front Mount Lift - At least that is who sells this style in TN & KY - I don't know the actual manuf. of this style - Check the weight capacity, looks like a 4500#, but could be 6000# with 2 float drums. They sell for about $10,000 installed new in our area, so if its working (good pump motor and no leaky valves $2,000 is a great price. The one thing about this style is if you get the boat on the bunks slightly off, it may lean to one side which is really not a big deal, also typically, because of the floats all rear biased, the boat tends to sit cab leaning forward a bit.

I looked at a couple like this one used, they hold their value, couldn't make the deal work in my favor, due to the cost to have it moved to my Marina so I went new with a Hydro-Hoist which uses 2 float drums, side by side which I prefer. They all work on the same premise, 2 valves, open to Launch/Lift, closed when lifted.

As far as the bunk question, you can put on taller extensions to raise the boat higher for clearance. The nice thing about front mounts, once adjusted properly, really simple to bring the boat into the dock, basically just like bringing onto the trailer. Attached is my boat on the Hydro Hoist. With tall enough extensions, the prop can never hit the cross member. Adjusting them can be a bit tricky, takes some trial & error to get the drop chain adjusted for the proper depth and bunks at the correct width etc.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MattsCraft View Post

That looks like a Premier Front Mount Lift - At least that is who sells this style in TN & KY - I don't know the actual manuf. of this style - Check the weight capacity, looks like a 4500#, but could be 6000# with 2 float drums. They sell for about $10,000 installed new in our area, so if its working (good pump motor and no leaky valves $2,000 is a great price. The one thing about this style is if you get the boat on the bunks slightly off, it may lean to one side which is really not a big deal, also typically, because of the floats all rear biased, the boat tends to sit cab leaning forward a bit.

I looked at a couple like this one used, they hold their value, couldn't make the deal work in my favor, due to the cost to have it moved to my Marina so I went new with a Hydro-Hoist which uses 2 float drums, side by side which I prefer. They all work on the same premise, 2 valves, open to Launch/Lift, closed when lifted.

As far as the bunk question, you can put on taller extensions to raise the boat higher for clearance. The nice thing about front mounts, once adjusted properly, really simple to bring the boat into the dock, basically just like bringing onto the trailer. Attached is my boat on the Hydro Hoist. With tall enough extensions, the prop can never hit the cross member. Adjusting them can be a bit tricky, takes some trial & error to get the drop chain adjusted for the proper depth and bunks at the correct width etc.
                                Thank you for the information. Yes it is a premier lift. I have contacted them about adding the risers and servicing the lift before we put it to use. I did have someone recommend them and I’m looking forward to seeing how will they handle business. I appreciate your information and advice. Also I’m wondering what type of boat cover that is and do you have a business name phone number or website. Also what was the cost?

Comment

Working...
                                X