Pros and cons of boat slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juiced190 View Post

Thank you for the information. Yes it is a premier lift. I have contacted them about adding the risers and servicing the lift before we put it to use. I did have someone recommend them and I’m looking forward to seeing how will they handle business. I appreciate your information and advice. Also I’m wondering what type of boat cover that is and do you have a business name phone number or website. Also what was the cost?
    My cover is https://www.skiboatcovers.com/ Highly recommend - Sunbrella material, water line, over tower, not cheap, but an awesome cover!

Comment

Originally posted by 01star View Post
      Click image for larger version Name:	81FiIj8084S._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	317.9 KB ID:	2698544 My only concern would be theft. I'm not sure where you're located or how secure the site is but I would consider getting an additional way to lock up your boat. I recently bought a lock/chain that can't be cut for when I leave my boat in the water overnight. It dawned on me that someone could easily come into a marina via boat and hook up a boat and leave with it. I know that I wouldn't get the money back that my boat is worth from insurance so I'm taking additional precautions. Here is what I'm using below, I hook it through the bow eye and then around a secure pole on the dock.
      I would likely just take off the lanyard and toss in a disconnect switch along the wire to the fuel pump... they can still steal it but they won't be able to drive it... unless they are really smart and can trace wires and find my switch... electrical is the worst!!

Comment

Hey, my boat is on the home page of the skiboatscover.com I mean you cant see my boat just the cover over it LOL

Comment

I’m in on the slip with lift. I’m having a company modify my lift, add risers and adjust the width for my X2. They’re also going to check out the lift to make sure everything is functioning properly and replace anything that may need replacing. I currently have a factory MC cover in pretty good shape but will be looking for another cover that will cover sides, rear transom and swim deck. How does everyone keep mold out of there boat? I would say after a long day at the lake the interior will be holding moisture when you put the cover on. Typically my boat is stored in a garage with a ceiling fan that dries out the boat before I put the cover on.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7EC23715-FFD6-4927-B091-383B0A710AD2.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	4.79 MB
ID:	2705160 Click image for larger version

Name:	9325C283-4D97-401D-8B54-25CB64002683.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	5.17 MB
ID:	2705162 Click image for larger version

Name:	987D5987-AB30-49FB-A7D4-CFEC7F65F5C9.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	2705161 Click image for larger version

Name:	71DD62A1-D30A-445A-9634-98C1166C9929.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	4.48 MB
ID:	2705163

Well so far my boat slip experience has been less than thrilling. Put the boat on the lift this past Friday and by Sunday morning the *** of the boat was in the water. Slow leak in the front tank. Also it appears the local ducks or geese have been having a party on my swim step. The local marinas gas is only 87 octane and $5.79 a gallon. Not sure I’m buying in to all the positive responses I received earlier.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 01star View Post
              Click image for larger version Name:	81FiIj8084S._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	317.9 KB ID:	2698544 My only concern would be theft. I'm not sure where you're located or how secure the site is but I would consider getting an additional way to lock up your boat. I recently bought a lock/chain that can't be cut for when I leave my boat in the water overnight. It dawned on me that someone could easily come into a marina via boat and hook up a boat and leave with it. I know that I wouldn't get the money back that my boat is worth from insurance so I'm taking additional precautions. Here is what I'm using below, I hook it through the bow eye and then around a secure pole on the dock.
              can you send link?

Comment

Used lift, possibly the wrong cover and in general the learning curve of a new way of boating. It happens to us all. My boat is on a ShoreStation all summer and I experienced several of these types of issues during the first couple years until I figured out the issues and tuned everything in.

The first year I had a beat up used lift which is what I could afford that broke several times. I left my boat too low in the water and didn't have the proper cover to deal with the geese and ducks so I pretty much had the same issues and a couple others I learned about along the way. Here's what worked for me.....

Lift repair/maintenance
                I tired doing the minimum on my lift. Had a cable snap in the winch tube and replaced just the cable. Hours of messing around getting the cable installed only to find out a pulley had seized which caused the cable to snap again a couple weeks later. Lesson learned..... Fix it right he first time or feel the pain over and over again. In this case I replaced the entire which tube and used that lift for another 5 years without issue.

Had a similar issue with bunk carpeting. Tried to get away with just re-carpeting the bunks. The bunk boards rotted out the next year and was stuck doing it over. With this latest lift when the carpet needed replacing I swapped them out with poly bunks. I'll never have to deal with carpet again.

Critters
                This is a wild card as you never really know what you're going to get into. Ducks and geese like a nice low swim platform to hang out on. I personally found that raising the boat higher out of the water and moving to a over the platform cover helped a lot. The cover over the platform is quite tight and doesn't give them the flat area they like so they move on to someone else's boat.

Birds roosting on your tower can be an issue too. I'll use an owl decoy attached to the tower to spook them a bit and that seems to work for where I'm at. There are tons of other devices out there you can try as well until you find something that will work in your area.

The right cover
                The biggest game changer for me was the waterline over the platform cover I bought from skiboatcovers.com. I had bad sun issues that would basically bake the transom and make the teak platform look horrible after just a couple weeks. The new cover keeps the sun from baking the transom and the sides from fading. My boat is much dryer and mold is no longer an issue as the Sunbrella breathes very well. While heavier and a bit more difficult to put on after a season you'll develop a system to remove and install it. Maintenance on the cover is key as well. I wash and waterproof mine every year as part of my winterization process. This keeps a very expensive cover looking good and helps keep the water out.

In the end you'll figure this all out if you decide to put in the effort to do so. My advise is to try and not cut corners or take the patch it up fix on the lift as this will just make the experience more frustrating and the boating experience less enjoyable. I know its easy to say this if you have an unlimited budget but I've found doing it right the first time with boat lifts to be the most cost effective way to go at the end of the day. Best of luck getting on track. I'm sure you'll get all this figured out.

Comment

Well don't forget the hassle of loading the boat up and prepping it fro the haul to the lake, pulling it out and dragging it home. I wouldn't go back to hauling a boat back and forth to the same the lake. Repair the lift, figure out how to get rid of the geese and 87 octane non ethanol is much better that anything with ethanol.

Wait till you show up boat is in the same place no poop you bring one cooler and some towels and you're on the water..... and then you leave and you can drive any car to the lake and don't have to park your truck and trailer 5 miles from the ramp on the holiday weekends. I can go on and on......

Comment

I got a platform cover from Cory at Evolution Covers, easy solution to one of your problems.

Comment

Spiders are the only con, my teak sometimes doesn’t look great , and my MCOCD kicks in …. But the trade off countless more hours on the lake … no brainer and invest in a transom and platform cover if you can.
                      Ski in snow, ski in water, and always have fun!

2008 Prostar 214 MCX
                      1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
                      Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
                      "Do you have Flake on that boat?"

Comment

the biggest con I could imagine would be Marina gas prices, around here they a $1.00 more per gallon. The big pro is not trailering and being able to be on the water in a couple minutes.
                        09 214 Prostar with MCX

Comment

We pull the boat out every night at our lake house and I like it this way, I can charge the battery at night in the storage unit, gas it up in town and clean it up a bit easier.
                          OH-IO!

Comment

Originally posted by Footin View Post
                            ...pull the boat out every night...
                            ^ ^ ^ this....but I digress from the topic of the thread.

Click image for larger version

Name:	footin02.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	2705334
                            Last edited by waterlogged882; 05-20-2022, 06:50 PM.
                            93 190
                            (safe click)

Comment

That was a few years ago! LOL
                              OH-IO!

Comment

I pay 1600 for the slip and have my own covered lift that I keep in that slip year-round. Going to the boat and pressing the button down and you're backing out in a few minutes. If weather shows up, you can duck under the canopy and wait till the shower goes over. Ever go out right after a shower. Usually no wind since its cloudy, no one else on the water. So, nothing but GLASSSSS waters. So smooth on the bottom of the wakeboard. I wouldn't go half the time I do now since it's so easy. I know that sounds like I am a baby, but I just got spoiled. No hooking up the trailer, launching, retrieving.
                                I have a 25000 contents insurance with a 250-dollar deductible. Boat is insured for stated value that would get me a new one if it was missing. : )
                                Once you do it you will never go back.

Comment

Working...
                                X