Ilmor 6.2L Supercharged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ilmor 6.2L Supercharged

Saw on IG tht MC just announced this motor. 630 HP / 665 lb-ft of torque. I can't imagine the upcharge for this, but I'd like to see one in a Prostar..

That would be nuts in a Prostar. You could put a 25 pitch prop on it.

Comment

This thing is gonna rip. Hope to see some updates from The Boarding School as they teased their "purple engine" before the announcement.
      Tim
      2021 Lone Star MasterBash
      Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
      1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
      1995 MC ProStar 205
      ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

Comment

So cool. This might be the perfect engine.
        05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
        15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Oh boy I bet that’s gonna RIP
          Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
          Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
          2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
          For Sale:
          2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

+200 HP/186 TQ from the N/A 6.2L
            +108 HP/141 TQ from the 7.4L
            '18 XT22 w/5500 & Upgraded Premium Stereo
            (Previous- '08 X2 w/MCX)
            '16 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5L Eco 4x4

I can help with Klipsch Stereo modifications
            www.chesnuttech.com

Comment

with an engine like that in a Prostar, we might see the return of SkiFly!

Comment

I bet this thing can drink gas at a faster rate than a college fraternity boy drinks beer.

I know how much gas our supercharge PWC drinks, this has to be notably more. I have never felt like our 6.2 was too small in our X24.

Comment

Originally posted by eecyclone View Post
                  +200 HP/186 TQ from the N/A 6.2L
                  +108 HP/141 TQ from the 7.4L
                  Great googlie mooglie.

Comment

I will admit that it is cool but I think that it serves as more of a money grab than anything. I do not think people are going to like how much fuel it drinks doing the same thing that a NA 6.0 or 6.2 can do. If they could figure out how to turbo one like the aquatrax that would be cool. Have the added performance when you want it but can still get the economy as well.
                    Previous Boat- 1983 Stars and Stripes

Comment

Damn....sounds amazing!!!

Not trying to be a troll, but I found this thread, and it made me chuckle

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/for...c-will-respond

Comment

Originally posted by osmonet View Post
                        Damn....sounds amazing!!!

Not trying to be a troll, but I found this thread, and it made me chuckle

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/for...c-will-respond
                        I thought about that thread right when I heard about this lol
                        -Tolman
                        '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
                        '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

This engine is amazing! I got to ride in a boat that had it a few weeks ago and I was blown away. The boat never struggled in any way whatsoever. Holeshot, tight turn... it was effortless. Don't think I will ever be able to own one but I can't wait to drive one!

Comment

Originally posted by peytonvp View Post
                            I will admit that it is cool but I think that it serves as more of a money grab than anything. I do not think people are going to like how much fuel it drinks doing the same thing that a NA 6.0 or 6.2 can do. If they could figure out how to turbo one like the aquatrax that would be cool. Have the added performance when you want it but can still get the economy as well.
                            Thats the thing.....That won't really be a thing.

This engine is not likely to drink any more gas "doing the same thing a NA 6.0 or 6.2 can do". It will be doing the same amount of "work" as the other engines would be doing, and the LT4 has a very similar volumetric efficiency to the N/A genV engines. There is a slight disadvantage from the parasitic drag of the supercharger, but it doesn't add up to a lot.

In my past experience with the LSA's, and the experience of others that already have the LT4 in other brands, they commonly burn less fuel than the lower power options. The reason? Prop, and surf/wake RPM's. Because of the engines significantly higher torque in the low RPMs, you can run a much higher prop pitch, and run the engine at 500-1000RPMs less. Not to mention, there are many other advantages to running the engine at 2700ish RPMs while surfing, versus 3300-3800.

Can it burn more fuel than the 6.0/6.2? Heck Yes. But it would be doing that while doing more work than the 6.0/6.2 can do. For instance, it would burn a lot more fuel while cruising wide open throttle with a 17.5 x 20 prop, at 52mph in a X24......... But the 6.0/6.2 can't do that. They would top out at 38-42mph on a 17 x 17 (or similar) prop.

Basically, we don't "need" this extra power. Our current boats can be propped to handle everything wake related that we throw at it. The advantage to the LT4 wouldn't necessarily be the capability it added for what the boats are designed to do...... It's advantages would be mainly related to a better overall operating experience. Faster to wake speeds, Quieter engine while towing, Quieter engine while cruising along at 25-35mph, Higher top speed, More exhilarating feel.

Comment

Originally posted by FourFourty View Post

Thats the thing.....That won't really be a thing.

This engine is not likely to drink any more gas "doing the same thing a NA 6.0 or 6.2 can do". It will be doing the same amount of "work" as the other engines would be doing, and the LT4 has a very similar volumetric efficiency to the N/A genV engines. There is a slight disadvantage from the parasitic drag of the supercharger, but it doesn't add up to a lot.

In my past experience with the LSA's, and the experience of others that already have the LT4 in other brands, they commonly burn less fuel than the lower power options. The reason? Prop, and surf/wake RPM's. Because of the engines significantly higher torque in the low RPMs, you can run a much higher prop pitch, and run the engine at 500-1000RPMs less. Not to mention, there are many other advantages to running the engine at 2700ish RPMs while surfing, versus 3300-3800.

Can it burn more fuel than the 6.0/6.2? Heck Yes. But it would be doing that while doing more work than the 6.0/6.2 can do. For instance, it would burn a lot more fuel while cruising wide open throttle with a 17.5 x 20 prop, at 52mph in a X24......... But the 6.0/6.2 can't do that. They would top out at 38-42mph on a 17 x 17 (or similar) prop.

Basically, we don't "need" this extra power. Our current boats can be propped to handle everything wake related that we throw at it. The advantage to the LT4 wouldn't necessarily be the capability it added for what the boats are designed to do...... It's advantages would be mainly related to a better overall operating experience. Faster to wake speeds, Quieter engine while towing, Quieter engine while cruising along at 25-35mph, Higher top speed, More exhilarating feel.
                              I agree. I’m fortunate enough to play on a LT4 boat very often. And it burns less fuel than the 6.2 in a smaller boat. The power is dumb awesome. Surfs absolutely slammed out at 3,000 rpm and it’s like it’s empty.

Comment

Working...
                              X