Back in the market, can't live without a boat... Nautique or Xstar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the market, can't live without a boat... Nautique or Xstar

So I'm back in the market again after selling my X55 back in 2020. Now I'm trying to buy something newer that is great for surfing out of the box. I spent a lot of money making my X55 throw a good surf wave and it was a pain in the neck having to set up all the ballast all the time.

My main demand now is I feel that if I'm spending $200k (CAD), I don't want to have to mess around with anything. I want to press a couple of buttons and have the boat set up and ready to go.

I've currently got a deposit on a 2019 G25. Couple pics below. I've done some reading about them, and it appears that people still have to add ballast and move weight around to get the waves how they want them. I see wakemakers sells a piggy back ballast system for the Nautique, but then I will lose the rear lockers. The boat is by no means cheap, it's currently $219k CAD. Has around 200 hours. I just started thinking again about the Xstar, because I remember people raving about them before.

I found this 2018 Xstar with similar hours on it, and it's priced at $192k CAD. So there's a $27k price difference, but the boat is a year older and obviously smaller. I do like the interior color better in the star. It seems to be missing a couple of options, like it only has one pair of tower speakers and only a tandem axle trailer. I'm not a big fan of the MC towers, I like the Nautique tower better. I do like the MC board racks better, however.

The G25 has the Supercharged XR550 motor. The Star has the 6.2 Ilmor. I'm not sure about fuel consumption on either, but I'm sure at wide open the G25 will drink more fuel.

I don't necessarily need the space of the G25, I just read that because its heavier than a G23, it throws a better wave. My buddy is getting a 2013 G25 and we'll most likely be boating together fairly often, so if we have a bunch of people, we will have the space on his boat.

So my question is, which boat will be better suited for my situation? Is the Xstar able to produce a good wave out of the box, without the need for lead or extra water ballast? What other things would you guys consider?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SRL-image-4.jpg
Views:	1272
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	2700024

Name:	SRL-image-22.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	2700025

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	2700026

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	2700027

Here are the spec sheets for both boats
    Attached Files

Comment

I also noticed that the Xstar has the Dockstar option, which I guess is the equivalent to the G25's steering assist option

Comment

Boat House Marine in Ohio has a 2021 Xstar loaded with 40 hours and asking $201K. I have had 3 Xstars and all have been great.

Comment

Originally posted by Water-Dog View Post
          Boat House Marine in Ohio has a 2021 Xstar loaded with 40 hours and asking $201K. I have had 3 Xstars and all have been great.
          That's a big girl.. That would be funny ironic as I bought a used boat in 2018 from Vancouver, BC and had it delivered to BHM via flatbed.

2021 MasterCraft Xstar MBCYLFJ1K021 | Boat House Marine (bhmtrilakes.com)
          If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
          1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

Remember - all else equal- bigger boats require more ballast. The increase in weight of the boat itself is not enough offset the increased buoyancy of the larger hull. A G25 has the same stock ballast as a G23. You will end up running a lot of additional ballast in a G25 in order to get a wave comparable to the smaller boats running less ballast.

I have two friends who have G25's. One runs 1,200# over stock, and one runs #4,000 pounds over stock.

In my experience the Xstar wave absolutely murders the pre-2021 G waves. Not too surprising as the G's run 2,850 pounds of ballast and the Xstar runs 4,100# - so I wouldn't even say its a fair comparison...but stock to stock, no contest.

I have a lot of time running 300-600 pounds of lead in my Xstar and I would say the wave is on par (power and size) with the G25 running 4,000#'s over stock.

with that said, I think larger boats offer more potential to generate a huge wave if you are willing to load them down. My experience, 23 feet seems to be a sweet spot where the boat doesn't require too much ballast, but you can also get a huge wave.
            The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

Yeah I think I'm leaning more towards a Star. The one in Ohio sure is nice, but with the exchange rate and the duties, it would cost me $250k CAD. The same dealer that has the orange star has another one with a few more options, but I'm not a big fan of the color scheme and it doesn't have Dockstar or decadence.... I think I would add beige Seadek to add a bit of color to the white/black color scheme if I got that boat. Pics and feature sheet attached. It looks like it has the hydraulic steering, anchor, power tower, larger tower speakers, the different style windshield and underwater lights. The orange boat has the surf pipe and Dockstar. Which one of the two Stars would you guys go for?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210917_095015.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	2700064

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210917_092420-rotated.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.3 KB ID:	2700065

Attached Files

Comment

Spending that kind of money... demo both with the family and see which one gets the vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsumi View Post
                  Spending that kind of money... demo both with the family and see which one gets the vote.
                  Agree. My perspective that I shared was strictly speaking about the wave. For sure they are both nice boats with a lot of differences between the two. A lot of it comes down to personal preference and what you value and how you use the boat.

As for the two Xstars you mentioned, it's totally up to you what options are valuable to you and which ones you prefer. I personally wouldn't pay extra for the power tower, because lowering it by hand is faster and easier for me... but thats my preference. I would pay a lot more attention to service records and overall condition of the boat. Also keeping in mind that things like carpet/speakers etc. are pretty easy to upgrade/replace. But things like the color, the windshield, the power tower, etc. are not easy to swap.

My last piece of advice is for 2018 models specifically - it was the very first year for the totally redesigned boat. There were some learning pains for sure. Lots of updates (mainly electrical and software) were put out by MC to fix them, so make sure the dealer has records and everything has been updated. Also, the surf tab actuators in 2018 were simply not up to the task. That is my biggest complaint with the 2018 is that the surf tabs are not as consistent as they should be. You can overcome this with some knowledge about how they work and adjust your driving style, but in 2019/2020 they upgraded to larger ones with 60% more power. I also know that they came out with some other billet actuator that was going to replace the 2018 ones, but I am not sure they ever did that on a widespread basis.
                  The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

thanks for the info about the 2018 actuators. I will ask the dealer to get me copies of the service records. I spoke to them this morning, both boats are with them on consignment. I got the actual build sheets from them and see the following differences:

1. Decadence flooring in the orange boat. (can be added to the black one fairly easily) - $2500?
                    2. Dockstar in the orange boat (can't be easily added)
                    3. Sunpad flip seatings on the orange boat (can't be easily added. Are these a good feature to have? Anyone with experience?)
                    4. Battery charger in the orange boat (Easily added) - $500?
                    5. Hydraulic seat lift in the orange boat. (Haven't seen much about this option. Anyone with experience?)
                    6. BTS windshield in the black boat (can't be added to the orange boat. Any pro's/con's to the BTS/regular windshield?)
                    7. Power tower in the black boat (can't be added to the orange boat. Not a deal breaker. Just looks better)
                    8. Larger tower speakers in the black boat (can be added to orange boat) - $2500?
                    9. Anchor in the black boat. (Can be added to orange boat) - $2000?

Now if both boats were purchased for the same price, which route would be a better option? I also started looking at X24's, but the only one's I've found are 2021's and they are $240k CAD. When did MC redesign the X24?

Comment

The dealers other location actually has a used 21 Xstar in stock, with 85 hours on it. Looks like maybe it was a demo boat. I'm waiting on a price on that one from them. If it's reasonably priced, I may just get that one, to get the updated surf system.

Name:	IMG_3025-scaled.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	2700077

Name:	IMG_3071-scaled.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	2700078

Comment

Spoke to them, they're asking $260k CAD for the 21. It looks like it's a heavily optioned boat, I'm just not crazy about the colors.

Comment

I like those colors a lot actually.

Comment

1. Decadence flooring in the orange boat. (can be added to the black one fairly easily) - $2500? -$1,000 from a place in Quebec
                            2. Dockstar in the orange boat (can't be easily added) - Not a deal breaker. I would rather spend my money on an aftermarket thruster.
                            3. Sunpad flip seatings on the orange boat (can't be easily added. Are these a good feature to have? Anyone with experience?) Freaking hate them. hinges stick up and you walk on them or kneel on them and it sucks. Was looking at how much I would have to pay to take them off my old boat.
                            4. Battery charger in the orange boat (Easily added) - $500? Same one that MC uses is like $150USD
                            5. Hydraulic seat lift in the orange boat. (Haven't seen much about this option. Anyone with experience?) This is nice, makes the driver seat like an office chair to raise and lower. probably could be added easy, but I have never looked into it as both my Xstars had it.
                            6. BTS windshield in the black boat (can't be added to the orange boat. Any pro's/con's to the BTS/regular windshield?) Personal preference, some people like the BTS because you can grab the dock or put out a fender from the driver seat as well as talk to a downed rider as you pass... some people prefer the protection of the full windshield.
                            7. Power tower in the black boat (can't be added to the orange boat. Not a deal breaker. Just looks better)
                            8. Larger tower speakers in the black boat (can be added to orange boat) - $2500? There are used stock ones popping up here and there for purchase, but also could replace with something like wetsounds. This used to be hard to do because the Klipsch system is pretty much sealed off, but others on here have blazed the trail and made adapters, so now it is pretty trivial. Price is about right for amp and speakers
                            9. Anchor in the black boat. (Can be added to orange boat) - $2000? what anchor is $2k? All MC are designed to fit a specific anchor in the holding compartment, I think its like $80-140 USD.

Comment

thanks for a detailed response. doing a lot more further research, I think I actually should be looking at a 2020/2021 X24, not an xstar. It seems that the surf waves are similar and the X24 has some extra space and I like the interior layout better. But then again, I don't really need those rear facing seats, so I would be giving up the rear locker space. However, prices on the X24's are all over the place. I'm seeing 21's from 240 to 280k CAD. I really wanted to stay under 225k with my purchase. When I came across the two Xstars for 190, I was hoping I'd be happy with those. How bad is the surf system in those? What can be done to fix it? New style actuators?

Comment

Working...
                              X