Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in the market, can't live without a boat... Nautique or Xstar

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    While I agree that the surf system has been a large upgrade through the years of the star. I am assuming your buying a warranty with this purchase? We have had zero issues so far with our 18 star and we did 120 hrs on our boat last year and almost exclusively surf. We haven’t lost an activator yet. (Knock wood) And they have the newer billet actuators if you would like the upgrade. The position sensing is the part that I would like the most to help consistency. I wouldn’t be scared away with the stock system. We also run a full boat often and 600 lbs of lead all the time.

    As for the rest. We did the same on the star vs 24. Back and forth several times. We decided we really liked the rear storage. We even did it again this off season and decided to stay with the star. We do have the flip seats as well and I for one like them. The hinges are something to consider, but once you know they are there you are mindful of them.

    For some of the other items on your list. We don’t have dock star, but have had both windshields and we like the bts. We did end up adding 2 more 85s to our tower and repowering everything with JL amps. We also added the additional tub speakers. All of that made a huge difference in the lacking sound system on the boat. I would second the deckadance. For us it really is a superior product to sea deck. With the kids just does a better job hiding all the messes that end up on the boat. We also like the communicating storage on the star that the 24 doesn’t have. Be sure to get the bow filler, we never even take ours out anymore. The handling of the boat and the performance really are the things that make the star just an amazing boat. We literally don’t have a single complaint outside of wishing we could add the new Mastercraft surf exhaust. Best of luck. No wrong answer that’s for sure!

    Comment


    • #17
      8. Larger tower speakers in the black boat (can be added to orange boat) - $2500? There are used stock ones popping up here and there for purchase, but also could replace with something like wetsounds. This used to be hard to do because the Klipsch system is pretty much sealed off, but others on here have blazed the trail and made adapters, so now it is pretty trivial. Price is about right for amp and speakers

      Our own eecyclone makes adapters if you end up needing them.
      Tim
      2021 Lone Star MasterBash
      Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
      1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
      1995 MC ProStar 205
      ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

      Comment


      • #18
        280 K for a surf boat, is that before taxes? this sport is about to become one for the elite of the elite!

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by 01star View Post
          280 K for a surf boat, is that before taxes? this sport is about to become one for the elite of the elite!
          About? Been there for a while for this guy!
          ¡Viva 205V!
          2003 X2 MCX

          Comment


          • #20
            So if I do end up going with one of the 2018's, I need to expect to spend a bit of money putting a new sound system in it. I do wish it had the BTS windshield, but I think I can live with the regular one. Heck I may still end up with the G25, who knows. The only issue is both the 2018's aren't within driving distance, they're at the dealer's Alberta location. So I would have to fly over there to take a look at them in person. That's why I want to be sure that I won't be disappointed getting a 2018

            Comment


            • #21
              I realize transom seats arent everyones cup of tea but in my case I wouldn't get a boat without them. We absolutely LOVE them.

              Comment


              • #22
                Looking at these value wise and trying to figure out where prices are going, I think maybe the G25 might be better value. I'm comparing to where prices were in 2020/2021 and where they are now.
                There was a 2019 G25 for sale that I looked at back in September of 2020. It had about 80 hours on it and the price was $215k.
                At the same time, there was a 2018 Xstar, with about 60 hours and they had trouble selling it for $165k, but it sold eventually.
                Looking at the prices now, the two 2018 Xtstar's with 250 hours are asking $190k. The 2019 G25 now with 180 hours is asking $219k.

                I'm not sure how much longer this crazyness will continue, but if prices go back to 2020 levels where they were "normal", the Xstars will be most likely worth $150k with around 300 hours, and the G25 will probably be around $200k with ~250 hours. So it looks to me like there is potential of about a $40k drop in price on the Xstar and about a $20k price drop on the G25.
                Now looking at the 2021 Xtstar, the dealer is saying they would let it go for around $250k, it has 80 hours on it. Even if the prices stay high, it will most likely depreciate to the $200k level in about the same time frame, so there is potential of losing about $50k there.

                Also, I'm not sure how true this is in other markets, but around here Nautiques sell like hot cakes. There seems to be way more demand for them than Mastercrafts. I'm not sure if people just like the Nautique's for the "bling" factor, but the Nautique dealer never seems to be able to keep any boat in stock for longer than a couple of weeks. On the other hand, those 2018 Xstar's have been for sale since last fall.

                What do you guys think?

                Comment


                • #23
                  This seem like a nice 2018 in region

                  https://www.onlyinboards.com/2018-MA...da-132523.aspx

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Proedge View Post
                    Looking at these value wise and trying to figure out where prices are going, I think maybe the G25 might be better value. I'm comparing to where prices were in 2020/2021 and where they are now.
                    There was a 2019 G25 for sale that I looked at back in September of 2020. It had about 80 hours on it and the price was $215k.
                    At the same time, there was a 2018 Xstar, with about 60 hours and they had trouble selling it for $165k, but it sold eventually.
                    Looking at the prices now, the two 2018 Xtstar's with 250 hours are asking $190k. The 2019 G25 now with 180 hours is asking $219k.

                    I'm not sure how much longer this crazyness will continue, but if prices go back to 2020 levels where they were "normal", the Xstars will be most likely worth $150k with around 300 hours, and the G25 will probably be around $200k with ~250 hours. So it looks to me like there is potential of about a $40k drop in price on the Xstar and about a $20k price drop on the G25.
                    Now looking at the 2021 Xtstar, the dealer is saying they would let it go for around $250k, it has 80 hours on it. Even if the prices stay high, it will most likely depreciate to the $200k level in about the same time frame, so there is potential of losing about $50k there.

                    Also, I'm not sure how true this is in other markets, but around here Nautiques sell like hot cakes. There seems to be way more demand for them than Mastercrafts. I'm not sure if people just like the Nautique's for the "bling" factor, but the Nautique dealer never seems to be able to keep any boat in stock for longer than a couple of weeks. On the other hand, those 2018 Xstar's have been for sale since last fall.

                    What do you guys think?
                    Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself in to it. I'm not sure i'd spend a ton of time justifying it either way.

                    I was thinking you said in your first post that the wave was the most important thing. If that is the case, the XStar is your choice. The G25 has one type of wave. It is very steep and short. It is tall enough, but very polarizing for a lot of riders. The XStar has a bigger and overall better wave. It's longer, far more adjustable, and has much more uniform push over its entire length. The wave on the XStar is just plain better......

                    Lots of nice things on the G25, and it is certainly an awesome boat. I owned 3 G23s, and have friends with a G25 that I get behind quite a lot. I can tell you that on stock ballast, the G23 has a bigger wave than the G25. They both have the same ballast capacity, and the G25 has a longer hull with more flotation. It takes more weight to sink it in. I definitely loved my G23s, but I havent even thought about them since I got my 5th gen XStars (I have had a 2018, 2020, and now a 2022).

                    I'd say if you are going to talk yourself in to the Nautique, I would look for a G23, rather than a G25. I'd also say that it would be a good idea for you to demo them, and just go with the one you like best after the demo's.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Thanks for the response FourFourty, I was hoping you'd chime in. I looked at the 2021 Xstar and the G25 in person this weekend. Both beautiful boats. I will take the G25 on a water test in the next few days or next week, depending on the weather and when I can make the drive out there again. The G25 is a beautiful boat, very nice fit and finish and all the features make sense. The Xstar is also very nice, but sitting next to an X24, it doesn't look as "expensive". The interior in the newer X24's looks a lot more expensive than the interior in the Xstars. I'm not a big fan of the rear seats in the X24, however. Moreover, there aren't any X24's available at the moment.
                      The only ones I haven't seen in person, were the 2018's . Those are both in Edmonton. I'm assuming both of those boats are pretty similar to the 2021 as far as the interior goes. The dealer explained to me the differences in the actuators, but he was not sure if the 2021 actuators could be fitted to a 2018. He said the 2022 actuators had the position sensors and the software was reprogrammed, where the tabs are now on a 1-6 scale, kind of like the Nautique NSS system. My biggest concern with the 2018 is the actuator issues. I want the tabs to be as reliable as possible, since I want anyone to be able to hop in the driver seat and make the boat surf.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Also, looking at current pricing on 2021 G23's, I can pretty much get a 2021 G23 for the same price as the 2021 Xstar. This one is available and looks like the only option its missing in the thruster, which is probably why it's still for sale

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	21 g23.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	605.2 KB
ID:	2700308

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	21 g23-2.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	690.3 KB
ID:	2700309

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          A lot of talk happening on various forums of various bubbles bursting and values dropping on cars, boats, real estate. Has me a bit nervous about purchasing right now. Especially with gas prices the way they are and not looking like they'll be coming down anytime soon, maybe values on 500hp boats will come down a bit

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Proedge View Post
                            A lot of talk happening on various forums of various bubbles bursting and values dropping on cars, boats, real estate. Has me a bit nervous about purchasing right now. Especially with gas prices the way they are and not looking like they'll be coming down anytime soon, maybe values on 500hp boats will come down a bit
                            I have been reading the same story for the past 2 years and all I have seen is prices climbing. When fuel prices were high in 2007 and again in 2012 to 2014, there was not a mass sell off and there were no deals to be had. If trade becomes an issue with Russia which is likely, we will see additional struggles with materials as they are major suppliers of Palladium and Platinum as well as large suppliers of nickel, cobalt, uranium, lead, zinc and iron. Think of what this will do to an already struggling supply chain.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Yup, just concerned about the fuel prices being highest they've ever been. Premium 91 octane fuel here is at almost $2.50/liter (that's about $9.45/gallon)

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                You can't predict the future to really know if this is a good or bad time to buy, but I do agree that it's a tricky time to buy. So, you may be taking a little more risk than normal by buying at the moment.

                                With that said, you didn't mention what I tend think may be the biggest factor .... interest rates rising. While many of us don't take out boat loans to buy boats, the reality is that a fair percentage of the buying in the market do. And since the Fed has made it very clear that rates will be going up for the foreseeable future, it's pretty much a sure thing that rates on boat loans will be rising by a non-trivial amount. When you combine that with the crazy trend of lengthy terms for boat loans, the impact become quite significant.

                                So especially for folks that do plan to borrow money for a boat, you get the classic dilemma, do you buy now before rates go up but with likely pay a higher price for the boat or do you wait to later when the price for the boat is likely to be lower, but the rates are up so the payments aren't that different.

                                For cash buyers, I tend to think it's likely a bad time to buy. Lots of headwinds for boat prices at the moment. Higher interest rates, higher fuel prices, pandemic buyers selling boats as they realize they just don't use them now that their kids are back playing soccer, gymnastics and dance lessons.
                                -----------------------------------
                                Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
                                Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
                                Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X