2005 - 2009 models for surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 - 2009 models for surfing

still searching for my next boat, looking at older X35 and Xstar - have heard the Xstar has a stepped hull and not the best for surfing. I have no experience but a 2001 X30 that surfed ok for us. any owners out there surfing with X35 or XStar or what model does everyone think would be the best. sorry loaded question but looking for opinions

Gonna be honest. As a true dedicated surf machine MC was way behind the curve in those years you listed. I’d be looking at other MFG’s for sure is you’re strictly looking for a priority surf rig.

With that said if you could , and x25 would be best budget surf boat , followed by the x35. The was a site called slashtank I believe. They had an X35 ridiculously weighed with a monster wake for Chase Haven back in the day.

that original pickle for star is a poor surf boat , even with gated and/ or go surf assist.

CURRENT: 2008 SANTE 210 w NSS

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
    2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
    2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
    99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
    88 2001 Nautique

Comment

I would say "way behind the curve" is making MCs of that era sound worse than they are. Our '06 X30 threw a pretty decent wave with GSA and 910s in the rear lockers... I loved that boat!
      Attached Files
      -Tolman
      '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
      '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

Ok thanks. I do have a gen 1 X25 I could look at also.

Comment

looking at X25 GEN 1 - anyone out there have one and how do they surf for you - this one has the 5.7 motor

thanks for any help or info

Comment

Had a friend with it and he hated it. Mostly because of creaks and a fuel pump relay that kept burning out. It didn't throw that great of a wave out of the box either; our sacked out (all in locker/under seat, nothing outside) 2001 X-Star with a Nauticurl threw a better wave. If you get a Gen 1 X-25, at minimum look to upgrade the ballast, and you should expect to upgrade the Gen 1 tab system for good results. He tried a wakeshaper with stock ballast and it wasn't all that great. Of course, all of that is money, so you have to figure out how that will fit into your budget. Have another friend with a 2006 X-2 who upgraded the ballast (nothing crazy, just rear lockers and under front seat) and wakeshaper (had to get a special one that works with the steps in the hull) and it throws a decent wave. GSA or something similar will be needed to put it on par with boats of today.

Comment

I agree with Tsumi. You will have to upgrade ballast on any non-current MC, and you'll have to find an aftermarket surf system/shaper for any MC that doesn't have Gen2 or Surfstar. I think MC25 had an X25 with GSA and it threw a pretty mean wave if I remember correctly.
              -Tolman
              '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
              '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

Originally posted by uplander View Post
                looking at X25 GEN 1 - anyone out there have one and how do they surf for you - this one has the 5.7 motor

thanks for any help or info
                I have a 2011 X25 with Gen 1 and it surfs pretty good. I added the 720 sacs and a Swell Slim along with a little help from the center and starboard tab.

Here is my review of the Swell: Swell Wakesurf Slim H3X Plus - My Review - TeamTalk (mastercraft.com)

Before the X2 I had a 2007 X2 and loaded it with 2,100 pounds of ballast it also surfed well, I do like the extra room and big water capabilities of the X25.
                OH-IO!

Comment

Thanks for the info and link to your review, I like the looks and feel of the X25 and from what I have read it handles water chop good with the deeper V.

Comment

Working...
                  X