BMW X7 - Towing XT24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW X7 - Towing XT24

I've found myself in a bind for a vehicle to tow our new XT24. Due to many reasons I don't want to get into, we can either equip our BMW X7 with this aftermarket hitch recommended by our BMW dealer, or sell it for a loss and try to find a Yukon XL. He recommended this specific hitch because it has an 8,000lb rating. XT24 is 6100 dry I believe, so will be close to the 8k mark on the trailer.

Has anyone here towed with their X7? We used to tow our G23 with our old Yukon just fine, and are even trying to find another Yukon, but due to current market issues, its damn near impossible to find one, and if you can, the dealers want to mark them up 10k. The BMW dealer says the X7 will be fine to tow with based on the boat specs and says the X7 does really well towing. I can't find many reviews on it. Yea I know a 1/2 Ton truck would do the job, I just don't have that option at the moment. Any helpful feedback would be appreciated.

How far do you plan on towing?
    Previous Boat- 1983 Stars and Stripes

Comment

Mentioned on FB as well........ A lake ready X24 on the trailer is almost 9000lbs. Just the empty boat (6100 without options), and trailer (1740 empty) is 8k.

An X7 is not going to cut it safely. Even a Yukon is not rated to tow it. The overall weight is over, the tongue weight is WAY over (IIRC the rating is 500lbs, and the X24 is going to have a tongue weight of about 800lbs.)

Not a good idea.

Comment

No way I would tow something 8-9k lbs with an X7. A half ton pick up really wouldn’t do it well either. If you want to tow a 24ft 9k lb boat you really should look at 3/4 ton.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback. You guys are all reinforcing my thinking as well. The rating on the hitch is 8k and 800 tongue. That said, I think its too risky as I would be hauling it 2 times a month - 140 miles or so each way, from St. George, UT over to Lake Powell. We used to keep our G stored in Big Water because it wouldn't fit in our Garage. Long story short, we love that the XT fits and we can use it here locally at Sand Hollow and Quail Creek. I think the X7 would be fine for those 2, but I'm a bit nervous with the 5 hour round trip 2-3 times a month. Now to try to convince the wife that driving a GMC Denali 2500 is a nice option, maybe not as nice as her X7

Comment

As others have mentioned that is way overstepping the X7s capabilities unless you are taking it and pulling it down the street to the ramp. Part of having a large boat is having a proper tow vehicle and unless you want to downsize a 3/4 is in your future.
            Previous Boat- 1983 Stars and Stripes

Comment

Definitely need a 3/4 ton. The thing with 1/2 tons is that unless you have a barebones 1/2 ton, by the time you've loaded all your peeps and gear, the remaining payload can be on the order of 600 lbs or less. Realistically, a 1/2 ton crewcab loaded for a lake trip can only pull a 6000 lbs boat + trailer combined (typically a 4000 lbs dry weight boat) or less.

Interestingly the large SUVs are more capable than their 1/2 tom brethren in this regard due to more payload capacity, and you're more likely limited by the GCWR of the SUVs. The large SUVs typically have GVWRs around 7500 lbs while the 1/2 ton pickups are around 7000 lbs. The SUV will have 300-600 lbs higher payload capacity than a similarly optioned 1/2 ton crew cab.

Comment

will it do it? probably. but why risk it. I tow trailers fairly often, which is why I have an SUV for a daily driver and an F450 for towing. I bought the truck for the peace of mind that I can tow anything for any distance I need. It's not a brand new truck by any means, but for something I drive a couple of times a month, it does the job fine. Here's a pic of my previous F450 towing my old X55. That boat with trailer and gear was around 7500lb and the truck handled it no problem. I currently have an F450 Harley. Anyway, my point is, keep the X7 and get a truck for towing.
                Attached Files

Comment

We have a GMC 2500 diesel. It is our long distance family vehicle. It rides nicely for a truck, as long as you put highway tires on it vs off-road tires. Add a bed cover and you can haul a lot more stuff comfortably. My wife was anti-diesel initially as well. We are on our third, and she still likes it.

Comment

Originally posted by ptrkgmz24 View Post
                    Appreciate the feedback. You guys are all reinforcing my thinking as well. The rating on the hitch is 8k and 800 tongue. That said, I think its too risky as I would be hauling it 2 times a month - 140 miles or so each way, from St. George, UT over to Lake Powell. We used to keep our G stored in Big Water because it wouldn't fit in our Garage. Long story short, we love that the XT fits and we can use it here locally at Sand Hollow and Quail Creek. I think the X7 would be fine for those 2, but I'm a bit nervous with the 5 hour round trip 2-3 times a month. Now to try to convince the wife that driving a GMC Denali 2500 is a nice option, maybe not as nice as her X7
                    Mother Nature may solve your problem for you: Unless next winter produces snow pack way above normal you won’t need to bother pulling the boat over to Powell!

Comment

Towed this 6 hours with our Mercedes R500. Stable all the way up to 65-70 mph, and braking waasn't an issue either. Only issue was the transmission stopped shifting near the top of mountains, which i just found out was most likely due to the lack of a transmission cooler. Retrofitting the OEM one in should solve that issue. Probably around 5500 lbs. I would go up to 6500 lbs with this wagon, 7500 lbs (like its GL class brethren) if I beefed up the hitch (mostly just worried about tongue weight). Anything over 8000 lbs is just asking for trouble with any SUV or loaded 1/2 ton truck. Barebones 1/2 ton with no cargo or 3/4 ton for anything over 8000.

Was too good of a price to pass up, so we'll be leaving the Mastercraft family for now. Still got friends with Mastercrafts though.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tsumi View Post
                        Towed this 6 hours with our Mercedes R500. Stable all the way up to 65-70 mph, and braking waasn't an issue either. Only issue was the transmission stopped shifting near the top of mountains, which i just found out was most likely due to the lack of a transmission cooler. Retrofitting the OEM one in should solve that issue. Probably around 5500 lbs. I would go up to 6500 lbs with this wagon, 7500 lbs (like its GL class brethren) if I beefed up the hitch (mostly just worried about tongue weight). Anything over 8000 lbs is just asking for trouble with any SUV or loaded 1/2 ton truck. Barebones 1/2 ton with no cargo or 3/4 ton for anything over 8000.

Was too good of a price to pass up, so we'll be leaving the Mastercraft family for now. Still got friends with Mastercrafts though.

lulz. Or spend the money on getting a more suitable tow vehicle. There isn’t an amount of beefing up I’d do to feel comfortable towing 7500lbs with a Mercedes minivan. 7500lbs with a half ton is uncomfortable.
                        Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                        Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                        2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                        For Sale:
                        2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post

lulz. Or spend the money on getting a more suitable tow vehicle. There isn’t an amount of beefing up I’d do to feel comfortable towing 7500lbs with a Mercedes minivan. 7500lbs with a half ton is uncomfortable.
                          We have a 2006 Ram 1500 MegaCab with the Hemi, rated for at least 8000 lbs towing. The 2006 R500 out tows it with everything we've used it for. More power, more stable, more comfortable, and better gas mileage. The only thing the Ram is better at is the amount of space it has for hauling. And the tow mirrors.

The hitch has been modified because the OEM hitch, for whatever dumb reason Mercedes decide to make, was a Class II hitch (350 lbs 1-1/4" receiver). I had it modified to be a Class III with a 2" receiver and its base construction is sturdier than many aftermarket Class III hitches rated for 500+ lbs. I'm pretty sure the hitch can handle 750 lbs of tongue weight, but some reinforcement wouldn't hurt as that wasn't in its original design.

This "minivan" shares its chassis and suspension with the GL and ML class. Lower center of gravity, longer wheelbase, and shorter distance from hitch to rear axle as compared to the GL450/550 would arguably make this minivan a better tow vehicle than the 7500 lbs rated GL class. Its wheelbase is almost as long as a previous gen Suburban while being the length of a Tahoe.

Anyways, if you're outside the tow capacity of a German SUV, you're also outside the comfortable tow capacity of a 1/2 ton truck, making a 3/4 ton truck or larger your best option. My point is that the German SUVs are very well built and I wouldn't hesitate to use them up to their rated towing capacity.

Comment

OP, I am in the same situation. I have an X7 and asked in a different thread about towing it from the dealer where I am getting it to my lake house. Roughly 3 hrs. It could make it but I also found that i could rent a 3/4 ton truck for $125 to do this one time trip, so I am doing that. I will only need to tow it about 2 miles each way to the local ramp from then on. I feel comfortable doing that with the X7 as people have mentioned towing X24s and others with it. I am looking out for a used Tundra to do it in the near future and also to have for other needs but just haven't pulled the trigger on one. You can get a decent Tundra (2010ish with 160-200k miles) for $15k. That is what I will eventually do. And you shouldn't be losing money if you decide to sell your X7. Mine is coming off lease in a few months and if I keep it, I can sell it for about $20k more than I owe. Mine is a 2020 and i had a local dealer offer me $72k for it last week. My residual is $54k. Problem is they dont have a single new one on the lot.

Comment

Originally posted by rabooze View Post
                              OP, I am in the same situation. I have an X7 and asked in a different thread about towing it from the dealer where I am getting it to my lake house. Roughly 3 hrs. It could make it but I also found that i could rent a 3/4 ton truck for $125 to do this one time trip, so I am doing that. I will only need to tow it about 2 miles each way to the local ramp from then on. I feel comfortable doing that with the X7 as people have mentioned towing X24s and others with it. I am looking out for a used Tundra to do it in the near future and also to have for other needs but just haven't pulled the trigger on one. You can get a decent Tundra (2010ish with 160-200k miles) for $15k. That is what I will eventually do. And you shouldn't be losing money if you decide to sell your X7. Mine is coming off lease in a few months and if I keep it, I can sell it for about $20k more than I owe. Mine is a 2020 and i had a local dealer offer me $72k for it last week. My residual is $54k. Problem is they dont have a single new one on the lot.

check your lease contract and talk to BMW. Basically every manufacturer is not allowing payoffs from third parties on leases, so you may have to buy it and then trade it in. It’s a nightmare.
                              Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                              Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                              2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                              For Sale:
                              2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Working...
                              X