Help with Bimini top mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Bimini top mount

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a bimini top for my 1990 Prostar 190. I would like the style like the one in the pictures. I like how it mounts to the windshield, rather than drilling holes in my boat. This will be my first bimini top installation. Does anyone know what brand this is? And where I can get those type of windshield mounts? Also... if anyone knows of any negatives regarding this type of bimini top, let me know. Thanks.

I like the ingenuity here but do you really want anything mounted to the windshield of this classic boat?

Comment

Originally posted by RxMC View Post
      I like the ingenuity here but do you really want anything mounted to the windshield of this classic boat?
      I like the fact of not having to drill into the boat... although I am concerned regarding stability and having the only mounting point be the windshield...

Comment

Have you checked with Tower Biminis for hardware?

Edit they only make biminis for towers duh.

Comment

I've for sure seen a post covering mounting of a bimini as you're requesting. May also be a thread, but certainly a post that i think included a few part numbers. If Waterlogged were here, he'd say "search is your friend" and then kindly link the aforementioned post/thread because that's what Waterlogged does! hahahaha

cheers

Comment

Im also thinking about doing something similar to this for my upcoming bimini. Personally I think the solution is to fab some clamps for the windshield frame and fasten the bimini pivot bracket to them, rather than mounts that screw into the frame.

Let us know what you end up doing. I would but haven't purchased the bimini yet.

Comment

Fixing holes in gel coat is simple. Fixing holes in that aluminum windshield frame would take some welding and a refinish of the entire frame. I understand your concern but I think your logic is reversed. When I'm looking at used boats that last thing I want to see is a molested dash, interior panels or a windshield frame. All are extremely expense and/or time consuming to get back to an OEM appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by John Johnson View Post
                Have you checked with Tower Biminis for hardware?

Edit they only make biminis for towers duh.
                Danny at TowerBiminis made a windshield mount bimini with surf sleeve for my older Maristar. Honestly hated to lines of the hull mounted ones, it’s held up fine hauling 2 surfboards around and 400hours the past 3 years. Send me your email and I’ll send some pics.

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                  Fixing holes in gel coat is simple. Fixing holes in that aluminum windshield frame would take some welding and a refinish of the entire frame. I understand your concern but I think your logic is reversed. When I'm looking at used boats that last thing I want to see is a molested dash, interior panels or a windshield frame. All are extremely expense and/or time consuming to get back to an OEM appearance.
                  Not to mention, if you accidentally crack your windshield. That risk (maybe low) would be to great for me to take.

Comment

Originally posted by crabandy View Post

Danny at TowerBiminis made a windshield mount bimini with surf sleeve for my older Maristar. Honestly hated to lines of the hull mounted ones, it’s held up fine hauling 2 surfboards around and 400hours the past 3 years. Send me your email and I’ll send some pics.
                    Can you just post the pics on here?

Comment

Originally posted by crabandy View Post

Sent you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                        I honestly don't know if that windshield mount clamps on or if holes need to be drilled. I agree...I would rather not drill holes in the window frame either.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro351 View Post

I honestly don't know if that windshield mount clamps on or if holes need to be drilled. I agree...I would rather not drill holes in the window frame either.
                          It is hard to tell but I think that is a clamp in the picture. Either way, it look simple enough to DIY clamps that will work.

Comment

I mounted mine on the window frame but I'm pretty sure that the round tube frame is bigger and has more clearance between the glass than the square frame. The rear part of the frame already had a screw in the exact location (in the fiberglass) where I needed to mount the rear support tube bracket, so that's why I went with that method. I did have to drill 3 holes (both sides) in the frame. 2 for the main pole bracket, and just one for the smaller pole bracket since there was already a hole in the frame that went through the fiberglass. If I had put more thought into it at the time, I may have gotten a machine shop to fabricate aluminum brackets that would clamp to the frame. Zooming in on the picture of the 190 it does look like there is a bracket mounted to the frame of the windshield.

The only problem that I have encountered in 11 years was when a family member dropped the bimini after the rear supports were removed and it did pull on the holes just a bit. That is why I'm in charge of putting the top down.

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/for...-to-tt-members
                            “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

I ended up drilling 8 holes (4 on each side) - I don't have any pictures of the final installation, but the below pictures give you an idea of how I installed. I thought it came out pretty good:

Bimini101 by Andrew Marks, on Flickr

Bimini102 by Andrew Marks, on Flickr

bimini103 by Andrew Marks, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X