No announcement yet.

Alabama law banning wakesurfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think surf boats draw more ire from other lake users than other large boats because they are intentionally designed to create a big wake. And over time, people have seen these fairly small boats generate bigger and bigger waves. So, people wonder how and when it'll end. Will these boats just continue to make even larger and larger wakes in the future?

Like others, I try to be very aware of not causing issues for others with the wakes my boat throws off. For example, I only surf in coves that do not have any houses or docks on the water. The best thing all of us can do to prevent the creation of rules and laws against surfing, is to be very aware and try to reduce the negative impressions of other lake users. I also only surf about 10-15% of the time I'm on the water. I also ski the slalom course, wakeboard, and air chair.
    -----------------------------------
    Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
    Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
    Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Originally posted by jpwhit View Post
      I think surf boats draw more ire from other lake users than other large boats because they are intentionally designed to create a big wake. And over time, people have seen these fairly small boats generate bigger and bigger waves. So, people wonder how and when it'll end. Will these boats just continue to make even larger and larger wakes in the future?

Like others, I try to be very aware of not causing issues for others with the wakes my boat throws off. For example, I only surf in coves that do not have any houses or docks on the water. The best thing all of us can do to prevent the creation of rules and laws against surfing, is to be very aware and try to reduce the negative impressions of other lake users. I also only surf about 10-15% of the time I'm on the water. I also ski the slalom course, wakeboard, and air chair.
      I will add to your comment that if more ballasted boat operators were as considerate as you are, we would not be having this discussion and pending legisalation popping up all over the country. But, the reality is many of these problems are created by first time boat operators, or those that maybe got into wakeboarding (remember that LOL) and have since moved to a bigger/heavier boat. They have no idea how large and potentially destructive the wave can be.

Comment

I assumed most boaters knew they were responsible/liable for their wake and the damage that it may cause...perhaps I was wrong :-/

Comment

Originally posted by 01star View Post
          I assumed most boaters knew they were responsible/liable for their wake and the damage that it may cause...perhaps I was wrong :-/
          Yes. You are wrong. It's unfortunate.

Comment

I will also add that we have a motion camera on our dock, and I am constantly seeing (and recording) wakesurfers going in circles around our cove, as well as 34foot cabin cruisers who go by at 10mph sight seeing and trash docks all day. This is 100% about education and respect. Not about any one sport or kind of boat.

Comment

I posted this before in another thread, but seems relevant to the topic.

In MN, several bill have been introduced in the last couple legislative sessions, and have been voted down for lack of clear evidence etc. I suspect they will take another run now that this study is complete. Below is the foundation for upcoming efforts on the subject in MN. BTW, study was "crowdfunded" mainly by groups opposing the sport

https://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstrea...=1&isAllowed=y

Comment

Originally posted by dvsone79 View Post
                I’ve seen just as many harmful and dangerous things done by I/Os and jet skis, but since they don’t have fancy graphics and a loud stereo system, they are pretty much ignored.
                Hopefully they will include fancy graphics and loud stereos in the ban as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
                  I wish somebody would remake this video for wakesurfers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZDEWBzneY
                  Complete gold right there!!

-Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

New law in SC setting min distance for large wakes at 200' from shore.

Comment

Originally posted by jpwhit View Post
                      This is why the defense cannot be 'We are not the only ones creating a big wake, so it is ok!'. What's the goal there, to instead switch the ban and legislation away from just surf boats and place it on anything with an engine? People are more mad about surf boats, because rather than a big boat cruising by one time (possibly on accident or more likely being ignorant), surfers do it for hours and hours in circles on purpose, and there are tons of them. I don't know what the solution is here because it is definitely all stacked against surf boats, but good luck guys, hate to see anything get banned.

Comment

Seems like a lot of folks are getting into watersports (specifically surfing) for the first time with no prior experience in a smaller boat/other sports. Bad habits and willful ignorance abound and this is the natural conclusion, regulations and restrictions because of the lack of personal responsibility to learn how to correctly operate. Basically, Wally doesn't have a 17ft Bayliner anymore, he's got a 24ft surf boat lol
                        Tim
                        2021 Lone Star MasterBash
                        Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
                        1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
                        1995 MC ProStar 205
                        ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

Comment

Yep. Noob boat owners compound the problem. I'm not saying two wrongs make a right. I'm saying punish all offenders. We surf in the middle of our very large lake from 630 am until 930 then we hang it up until the idiots get off the lake. We can go for 4 miles without making a turn. We do not look for sloughs or coves to do anything but swim and relax. If we can't surf where it won't damage anything, we don't do it. But I'm a straight up get the F off my lawn when anything throws a wave in my slough. And it is not primarily surf or wake boats.

Comment

I would say about 75% of boaters on our lake are unaware of proper wake etiquette. And it's only gotten worse over the years, not better.

Comment

Owning a house on Smith Lake this has been an issue for the last several years. It has recently gotten worse with the increased boat traffic. If passed these restrictions will be hard to enforce but will be welcomed by most homeowners like myself. On weekends I have witnessed surf boats doing race track patterns within 50 feet of my dock all day long. I often see surf boats that appear to be just cruising with full ballast with no one surfing. I agree that education would be a good starting point but not sure how to implement. I think it is mainly a lack of self awareness by boat operators. I also agree that you have inconsiderate operators in all types of watercraft however the surf boat waves are way more obnoxious. Unfortunately just like with everything it only takes a few bad actors to ruin something for everyone. I am a slalom skier and cruise the lake in my 197 but has gotten very tough on the weekends. I guess I’m going to have to get a surf boat lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Tsumi View Post

I would say about 75% of boaters on our lake are unaware of proper wake etiquette. And it's only gotten worse over the years, not better.
                                This and it is probably over 80%... there is allot of I don't give a s*** or are just plain uneducated, it isn't taught very well in the boating classes, it should be. I know because my kids took the classes and they were only concerned about drinking, etiquette was very low on the list.

I have spent many hours working with my kids to make sure they are doing the right thing and paying attention to all the other boaters. They don't get to drive by themselves till they can prove to me they can do it without me having to correct them for 2 days. It's going to be another long summer

Comment

Working...
                                X