No announcement yet.

Alabama law banning wakesurfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huey- I would love to pick your brain about living on Smith Lake. The wife and I are heading down 4/9-13 to look at lakefront property to build our retirement home on. Let me know if you would be willing to talk. Rick 920-540-2880

Comment

Originally posted by robadele View Post
      New law in SC setting min distance for large wakes at 200' from shore.
      We have zero surf boats on our lake but I did observe a guy transforming into a giant DB when he attempted to surf behind his I/O after he put a tower on it. He plowed about 50 feet outside of the NO WAKE buoys at the marina and blasted his country music. The surfing didn't go well, I haven't heard him blast his music since.

I'm more concerned about this wally. He has a boat load of observers and a mirror mounted on his windshield in front of him. We are having more and more close calls with people not watching where they're going. This is not on our lake, it's from robadele's post.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	boat.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	2701379
      “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

Originally posted by curver900 View Post

This and it is probably over 80%... there is allot of I don't give a s*** or are just plain uneducated, it isn't taught very well in the boating classes, it should be. I know because my kids took the classes and they were only concerned about drinking, etiquette was very low on the list.

I have spent many hours working with my kids to make sure they are doing the right thing and paying attention to all the other boaters. They don't get to drive by themselves till they can prove to me they can do it without me having to correct them for 2 days. It's going to be another long summer
        Agreed. California has mandatory boating classes, and 90% of the material is not applicable to watersport boats (mostly concerned with coastal boats, sewage, etc). There is very little on watersport safety and absolutely nothing on wake etiquette (I say wake because I often see fishing and pleasure boats trolling through no wake zones at 10-15 mph).

Comment

Originally posted by ahhudgins View Post

We have zero surf boats on our lake but I did observe a guy transforming into a giant DB when he attempted to surf behind his I/O after he put a tower on it. He plowed about 50 feet outside of the NO WAKE buoys at the marina and blasted his country music. The surfing didn't go well, I haven't heard him blast his music since.

I'm more concerned about this wally. He has a boat load of observers and a mirror mounted on his windshield in front of him. We are having more and more close calls with people not watching where they're going. This is not on our lake, it's from robadele's post.
          Click image for larger version Name:	boat.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	2701379
          I've had several run-ins with bow-up Axises wakesurfing paying zero attention to what is in front of them, plus one Nautique owner who got close enough while surfing to tell me to get out of his way while we had been sitting in the same spot with no one around for the better part of a half hour. It's nuts.
          Tim
          2021 Lone Star MasterBash
          Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
          1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
          1995 MC ProStar 205
          ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

Comment

Originally posted by Tsumi View Post

Agreed. California has mandatory boating classes, and 90% of the material is not applicable to watersport boats (mostly concerned with coastal boats, sewage, etc). There is very little on watersport safety and absolutely nothing on wake etiquette (I say wake because I often see fishing and pleasure boats trolling through no wake zones at 10-15 mph).
            The mandatory NASBLA course/license is required down here only if you're born after 9/1/1993, but honestly they should get rid of the age restriction.
            Tim
            2021 Lone Star MasterBash
            Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
            1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
            1995 MC ProStar 205
            ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

Comment

Originally posted by ahhudgins View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	boat.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	2701379
              I just want to point out that’s the wake for warriors G23 who pulls disabled vets. Quite literally the opposite of a walley. If I saw their boats I’d GTFO of their way.

now anyone else, sure
              Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
              Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
              2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
              For Sale:
              2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post

I just want to point out that’s the wake for warriors G23 who pulls disabled vets. Quite literally the opposite of a walley. If I saw their boats I’d GTFO of their way.

now anyone else, sure
                Vets, wounded or not, don't get a pass on stupid behaviors.

The only thing my service entitles me to is a blue ID card and a check every month! Anything after that is just gravy and not expected.
                -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post

Vets, wounded or not, don't get a pass on stupid behaviors.

The only thing my service entitles me to is a blue ID card and a check every month! Anything after that is just gravy and not expected.
                  It’s a charity event pulling wounded warriors. I’ll give them a pass.
                  Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                  Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                  2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                  For Sale:
                  2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Education is the key here. Having owned a couple lake houses over the years the one thing I notice is the boat is usually well out of view by the time the waves hit the dock or the shore. I would give operators the benefit of the doubt and say they just have no clue the damage they can do. I say just make boat manufacturers put a sticker on the dash of every boat that says something like "Wakes can cause serious damage to the shoreline, please boat responsibly."

Comment

I am sorry to hear that in the meantime such bans are decided in your country.

I hope that this does not come so far with us...

For this reason, in Switzerland a boat license is mandatory for boats with more than 8 horsepower...

Comment

Originally posted by SwissCraft1291 View Post
                        I am sorry to hear that in the meantime such bans are decided in your country.

I hope that this does not come so far with us...

For this reason, in Switzerland a boat license is mandatory for boats with more than 8 horsepower...

We are required to have a boat license as well. The problem is, the course is antiquated. Alabama is a coastal state, with many big rivers that carry cargo to/from the gulf, so the majority of our boating course applies to that type of environment, whereas the casual boater on most of our bodies of water will not encounter sail boats and navigation buoys. Not saying those rules shouldn't be learned as well, but there is very little in the way of watersports safety and leisure boating. For example, I can't count the amount of times per day at Smith I see a surf boat or a wakeboat doing power turns to retrieve a fallen rider/skier. If people would quit doing that one thing, it would do wonders for the reputation of wake/surf boats. Just come off throttle to idle speed when retrieving riders. And stay away from docks/shore. Two very simple things that *should* be common sense.

Comment

The key to all of this is education and familiarity of what your boat can do. Yes, Wake surfing is the new low impact sport that allows those who would never wakeboard or ski or more to the point their bodies can't handle it anymore so they wakesurf. I don't begrudge a family in wakesurfing but let's be honest. How many families are buying a Wakesurf boat right out of the gate without any type of boating experience to begin with! Now if the legislators really want to help, they should focus not only on the wakesurfers but the idiots dragging tubes at unsafe and quite frankly dangerous speeds. How many times have you seen a boat whipping a tube full of kids over a wakesurf boat's wake?

Do I think a safety class is warranted for new boat owners, at any age? absolutely! Should insurance be mandatory? Absolutely! Should Wakesurf boats adhere to their specific lakes policies? Should public lakes place signs in coves or fingers that do not allow for the safe distance between shorelines? Yes! Should wakesurf boats be banned? NO, but the boaters who are idiots should be...

Comment

Originally posted by VC137FE View Post
                            Now if the legislators really want to help, they should focus not only on the wakesurfers but the idiots dragging tubes at unsafe and quite frankly dangerous speeds. How many times have you seen a boat whipping a tube full of kids over a wakesurf boat's wake?
                            Agree with this 100%.

I wonder how many of these wakesufers are driving their own boat vs driving a Daddy-bought boat. This would account for some of the lack of familiarity and lack of respect on the water. A lot of the guys driving I see don't look very old.

2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

If only the DNR did it's job on lakes where the complaints are occurring.. it would only take one or two weekends and that would be the end of it.. don't write tickets the first weekend just education then the next time write tickets to those who you already talked to.. and make it worth while $500. I'll guarantee that would put a stop to it quick and I agree also those clowns using the boat wakes. It's not recommend to have anyone behind you while you are towing someone.. I have even stopped driving when the jetskiers and tubers start using my wakeboard wake ... They are not looking for anyone only the wake and if my rider falls they are potentially in harms way....

Comment

In our country, this is quite clearly regulated. Within 150m (492ft) you are only allowed to drive perpendicular to the shore and only with reduced speed (inner shore zone).
                                From 150m (492ft) to 300m (984ft) you are allowed to drive across the shore, but only with reduced speed (outer shore zone). From 300m (984ft) everything is allowed.

Here is a short list with the penalties that have to be paid if you are caught...

Driving in the shore zone
                                Prohibited longitudinal travel by motor vessel within the inner riparian zone or within a distance of 150m from the shore
                                108$

Prohibited longitudinal navigation with a vessel with machine propulsion within the shore zone but outside a shore distance of 150m
                                54$

Exceeding the permitted speed in the inner shore zone or within a distance of 150 m from the shore by not more than 15 km/h
                                162$

Exceeding the permitted speed in the outer shore zone by no more than 15 km/h
                                108$

Exceeding the permitted speed within the riparian zone but outside a riparian distance of 150 m by not more than 15 km/h
                                108$

Unauthorized driving or staying in the harbor area
                                108$

Failure to maintain the minimum distance from stands of aquatic plants such as reeds, rushes and water lilies
                                108$

Driving with water skis or similar devices
                                at prohibited time
                                108$

within the outer shore zone
                                108$

within the riparian zone but outside a distance of 150 m from the shore
                                108$

Simultaneous towing of more than two water skiers or devices
                                108$

Pulling the empty tow line or using an elastic line
                                64$

Unauthorized riding of aqua-scooters, jet-bikes and similar floating objects
                                108$

I think this is how most problems are avoided in our country.

Comment

Working...
                                X