Towing with a BMW X5 or X7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing with a BMW X5 or X7

Anyone on here towed a MC with a BMW X5 or X7? I have a X7 and I am looking at getting a 2014 X-25. I will need to tow it from the purchase point to my lake, which will be roughly 200 miles. Then once there I will just need to tow it 3-5 miles each weekend to the local ramp to launch. Specs on the car say a towing capacity of 5,950 lbs. The X25 shows a dry weight of 4,570 lbs. Thoughts?

All I can offer for reference; is I pull my X25 with an older Toyota Sequoia that is rated 6500 lbs. It pulls it quite well. I think the trailer is 1200 lbs, so you're going to be right at the limit.

But unless you're pulling through lots of mountains, the tow weight rating isn't as important as the size / weight of the vehicle and its braking capacity relative to the boat size / weight. I think you'll be fine if the X25 you're picking up has working trailer brakes. If not, braking during an emergency will be the main risk. If you slam on the brakes because something happens in front of you, the boat will start to push the back of the car around w/o good trailer brakes. Best way to test the trailer brakes, is to disconnect the trailer plug, to disable the reverse lock-out, and try backing the trailer up a slight incline on pavement. If you can back it up, brakes are toast. If you can't or it's really difficult, then the brakes are working. If the previous owner hasn't maintained the brakes, it's not very likely they are still working well. These trailer brake systems are notorious for deteriorating w/o a good bit of maintenance.

Not sure about the reference to the X5 in the subject. But the smaller X5 will be much more susceptible to not handling the braking of a boat of this size.
    -----------------------------------
    Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
    Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
    Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

That is empty boat weight. Does not include trailer weight. Assume #2200lbs for trailer. So, your technically, at the limit. Most important for controlling vehicle is tongue weight. Heavier tongue weight, lighter front wheel load. So steering and braking is compromised (true of all towing) ALSO, on ramps....less front tire contact patch!

Can you do it. Yes. I wouldn't drive 70+mph, or thru mountain passes. With short hauls, you will still have increase wear on brakes and transmission. Remember, short hauls, you will have more weight. Equipment, bodies, gas, etc. So, keep that in mind. Remember, 5 adults with gear, in the boat, can add 1600;-2000lbs.+ (I load people from, the dock or shore)

If you're worried about the long haul, rent a 3/4 ton truck or pay to have it delivered.
      sigpic Ayyyy!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Comment

I also usually have my boat fueled and ready to go. Add another 350-450lbs for fuel and stuff.

Comment

The first 200 miles back home may be sketchy but the 3 miles to the ramp is definitely doable. I think an X7 would be better for the long commute but if you’re only doing it once you’ll be fine.
          Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
          Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
          2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
          For Sale:
          2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

My 2 cents -- A mile or two to the boat landing twice a year- MAYBE. Anything more than that-NO WAY. Nevermind GVWR. Too much boat, empty or not. My experience tells me that would beat the $hit out of your BMW and also put you in danger due to Towing vs. towed vehicle weights and size. Even with trailer brakes, you might see a lot of wear and tear on brake pads, etc. too.

Comment

I think you'd be just fine. Trailer is 1200-1500lbs so you will be at the limit, but just take it easy with plenty of stopping room on the way home. No issues for the trip to lake and back that short of distance.

Comment

I thought I read somewhere that the X7 when equipped with factory tow hitch could pull 7,500lbs? And the X5 is 7,200lbs?
                Former: 2007 X15

Comment

rent or borrow a more suitable tow vehicle to get it home??? Someone who boats with you has a tow rig?
                  Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

I had to tow a friends 24 MXZ ~200 miles one way with my old X5 550i... it had no issues. Power was certainly no issue, and I had no issues with stopping or stability. I say go for it.
                    Attached Files
                    -Tolman
                    '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
                    '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

I appreciate all the insight. I am going to rent a 1 ton truck to tow it from the dealer to my lake house, which is the 200+ mile trip. I have been looking for an older used Tundra to use for towing the boat for the future, but like boats these are hard to find. In all, i wont tow the boat more than 20-30 miles total with my X7 anyway. Love this forum because it always has amazing info. I have been boat-less after selling my last MC (ProStar 209) about 10 years ago. So once I take ownership of this one I will have a few questions for the forum. Ha!

Comment

Rabooze, I saw your comments in the other X7 thread, too. I towed my XT22 extensively with a 2019 Audi Q7 (7700lb rated) and it was EXCELLENT. Like TorCalMan mentions above and the other poster with his R500 Mercedes, don't underestimate the large German tow vehicles. They are impressive!
                        Former: 2007 X15

Comment

Originally posted by rabooze View Post
                          I appreciate all the insight. I am going to rent a 1 ton truck to tow it from the dealer to my lake house, which is the 200+ mile trip. I have been looking for an older used Tundra to use for towing the boat for the future, but like boats these are hard to find. In all, i wont tow the boat more than 20-30 miles total with my X7 anyway. Love this forum because it always has amazing info. I have been boat-less after selling my last MC (ProStar 209) about 10 years ago. So once I take ownership of this one I will have a few questions for the forum. Ha!
                          Make sure the rental company actually allows towing. Most do not and state so explicitly in the rental agreement. Whether or not they'll figure it out is a different matter, but something to think about.

Comment

I've towed my old Maristar 225VRS across the country back and forth with my X5(over 8000 miles) You should not have an issue. Mine is a little lighter with boat and trailer - they weigh 5200# (X5 weighs 5240). Just watch the tongue weight. 200 mile trip plus a few miles to launch - no problem. Power and braking is not an issue. Because of the shorter wheelbase the boat will move the car around a little on rough undulating roads but nothing unsafe, you can just feel it tugging. Check your ramp to make sure you don't have to put the car in the water AT ALL. Too many electronics at rear bumper level.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E0229.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	2702203

Comment

Working...
                            X