Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• badinlake
    replied
    Quick kudos to Acme - they just replaced the prop. I haven't heard what they thought the root cause was, but they made it very simple to return & replace- they stood by their product.

Leave a comment:

• FourFourty
    replied
    Originally posted by jpwhit View Post

I doubt it's possible to repair the splines, but call ACME and ask.
    You would think it would be all done, but I have seen them fix some crazy bad things on props. They might be able to fill with new material and broach new splines in it again. You might be right, and it may be junk. But it wouldnt surprise me if they could fix it.

Leave a comment:

• jpwhit
    replied
    Originally posted by badinlake View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions for reworking the ACME prop or is it just dead?
    I doubt it's possible to repair the splines, but call ACME and ask.

Leave a comment:

• badinlake
    replied
    Here's the summary - and thanks to the forum for helping me through...

Yes, the rear end of the splines on the ACME prop are gone. Not sure how this happened, but I do know before I sent my boat in for service the prop was snug - now it goes about 1/4" past the shaft threads, so it won't fit. Anyone have any suggestions for reworking the ACME prop or is it just dead?

The issue w/ the ACME prop muddied the water in my head - good advice from people here, separate out the problems and look for the simple.

The prop the dealer put on was dinged - after putting on a brand new prop, all runs great.

Leave a comment:

• FourFourty
    replied
    Originally posted by jpwhit View Post
    Or the splines on the original shaft were not machined correctly, they wallowed out the splines in the prop and then it moved forward and damaged the strut. If that's the case, then the damaged prop also wouldn't work on the newly replaced shaft.

But none of that explains the left vs right prop rotation.
    Or.......... Someone installed the prop nut (when they installed the ACME prop) with an impact gun, and torqued it to 30-40 ugga-duggas............. and forced the prop too far up the shaft. Seen that before. Id be curious what the back of the hub looks like on the ACME 3289. I have run the 3289 on three XStars now (2018, 2020, and 2022), and it fit perfect.

Leave a comment:

• jpwhit
    replied
    Or the splines on the original shaft were not machined correctly, they wallowed out the splines in the prop and then it moved forward and damaged the strut. If that's the case, then the damaged prop also wouldn't work on the newly replaced shaft.

But none of that explains the left vs right prop rotation.

Leave a comment:

• edwin
    replied
    That funny wear sure looks like the prop moving up the shaft and making contact with the strut...probably a direct result of the ACME not fitting.

Leave a comment:

• badinlake
    replied
    Wow - even more information! the shaft strut had some funny wear on it, so dealer replaced under warranty. I'm assuming he did the shaft as part of that warranty work too... I will keep you posted. Here is a photo of the funny wear.

Leave a comment:

• jpwhit
    replied
    Are you sure you have the prop numbers correct? The 3289 is a left hand rotation prop and the 846 is a right hand rotation prop? Why was the shaft replaced? Was the transmission changed as well?

Leave a comment:

• badinlake
    replied
    OK - so more information...

I got back out to the lake and yes, it looks like the prop they supposedly put on from a new Xstar has dings in it - so that's most likely where my vibrations are coming from. But - I found out more...

So, I still was confused that the dealer said my OJ prop "didn't fit" on the shaft. Turns out my after market ACME prop is 18x17.5, 1 1/8", 3289. The prop they put on is OJ 18x16 MF WP 846.

I tried to put the ACME prop back on, and the dealer is correct - it does not fit correctly. I sides much further up the shaft, exposing the splines at the front of the prop - which means the prop cannot be secure on the shaft.

I need to get my original prop from the dealer, but I am assuming they may have put on the wrong shaft - is that possible?

Leave a comment:

• FourFourty
    replied
    Originally posted by Tsumi View Post
    The 4/19 and 4/21 are most likely date codes. 18x16 is the size, and 846 is the model number. All OJ 846 props should be identical.
    This is correct. Those are just date codes. One prop was made in april 2019, and the other in april 2021. The props (18x16 846) are both the same.

Leave a comment:

• Tsumi
    replied
    The 4/19 and 4/21 are most likely date codes. 18x16 is the size, and 846 is the model number. All OJ 846 props should be identical.

Leave a comment:

• badinlake
    replied
    Bent prop may be the case, but supposedly they pulled it off a new boat. I am curious about the change in size too. I will post an update when resolved - and hopefully it was just a bad prop.

Leave a comment:

• gwozhog
    replied
    Sounds like your prop is slightly bent. It does not take much to get that subtle vibration. Here is an easy test you can do to check an acme prop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uVXh9sJt4w

Leave a comment:

• badinlake
    replied
    If it helps, it looks like the new shaft is:

MC-205345A SHAFT-52.5"x1 1/8"x5" LSA ENGINE '11-'12 / 7.4 '12-'14 AQUAMET 22 W/LRG NUT

MC-200195 STRUT-XSTAR '18

Leave a comment:

Working...
X