Pertronix Distributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pertronix Distributor

I am replacing my Prestolite with a Pertronix ( 93 190 351) Since the cap sits a bit higher than the Prestolite will my plug wires reach ok?

Originally posted by dbatteiger View Post
    I am replacing my Prestolite with a Pertronix ( 93 190 351) Since the cap sits a bit higher than the Prestolite will my plug wires reach ok?
    Yes. I say that presuming you have the OEM wires (but those would be 29 years old). You could have replaced them with other wires; 1) from an automotive supplier that you chose a different length a little off from OEM, or 2) Discount Inboard Marine where they send you a universal kit that will wrap around the engine twice and still be long enough to fit.

Overall I think you are looking for a general consensus...Yes...

93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

Thank you Waterlogged I was hoping you would see this. The wires I have are a couple years old. I change them often for lack of anything else to do. Right now there is a set of PCM 7mm from skidim. I have had those blue ones and they seemed longer. Tell me this, The PCM 7mm Skidim sells and those blue ones, they aren't solid core correct? Pertronix guy told me to never use solid core. Al

Comment

Thank you Waterlogged I was hoping you would see this. The wires I have are a couple years old. I change them often for lack of anything else to do. Right now there is a set of PCM 7mm from skidim. I have had those blue ones and they seemed longer. Tell me this, The PCM 7mm Skidim sells and those blue ones, they aren't solid core correct? Pertronix guy told me to never use solid core. Al
        They are not solid core wires.

The Pertronix guy told you correctly.

93 190
        (safe click)

Comment

Thank you. I don't think I can remember solid core..

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

You have a pertronix don't you?

Comment

I am hoping it is reliable. I bought the coil too. I have read that people that didn't use the coil have had no trouble. Did you use the coil to match?

Comment

I am hoping it is reliable. I bought the coil too. I have read that people that didn't use the coil have had no trouble. Did you use the coil to match?
                Not speaking for waterlogged, but I switched to the Pertronix distributor and the Ignitor II coil. It's not hype, the extra juice from the Ignitor II is what you need.

Also, my last wires came from Indmar, for the 351w. The length is plenty long enough for the pertronix distributor but unlike the blue ones from skidim they are not so long that they flop around on the floor Link here

Comment

It is reliable. You'll see a world of difference. Thing about the 351W is this; all of the components that are often recommended work synergistically to make the engine perform better overall..starting, idling, low-mid-high end solid RPM...it's just a better setup.

Your OEM coil was likely a 10kV output. The new Flamethrower II (0.6 ohm epoxy-filled) puts out a rated 40kV. A much higher voltage (obviously) for a more responsive ignition in all eight cylinders. The spiral wound wires have less resistance than the solid core...thus better results. Again, all of these things work together to make a better deliverable in performance.

Since you did not ask I will further comment to break your budget; 1) Arco 70200 starter, 2) new Holley 4160 600cfm marine carburetor, and 3) for general sustainment; the DB Electrical ADR0334 alternator (primarily for battery charging with a dual setup).

It all comes together. You will think you have an EI setup.

Yes Sir, I use the FT-II coil.

Click image for larger version  Name:	coil01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.8 KB ID:	2702235
                  Last edited by waterlogged882; 04-07-2022, 04:50 PM.
                  93 190
                  (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by d2jp View Post

Not speaking for waterlogged, but I switched to the Pertronix distributor and the Ignitor II coil. It's not hype, the extra juice from the Ignitor II is what you need.

Also, my last wires came from Indmar, for the 351w. The length is plenty long enough for the pertronix distributor but unlike the blue ones from skidim they are not so long that they flop around on the floor Link here
                    ^ ^ agree

93 190
                    (safe click)

Comment

I wish I could get how to upload a pic. If you go to Skidims web site and scroll down and click on resources then engine gallery, thats my 351 in the second row, Indmar Ford. Thank you for your responses. Al

Comment

^ ^ agree
                        I see you have Taylor wires. I've never had those maybe I will use that link and get a set.

Comment

The other thing I did this winter was have Tommy Nation at Teak world make me a new swim deck. Its as beautiful as new furniture. I hate to put it in the water. The cool thing is he had the original contract with Mastercraft to make their swim decks in 1993. He had the jig that is an Exact, not kind of close but Exact duplicate. Of course it was 600 bucks but its gorgeous.

Comment

Working...
                          X