Deflect Boat Bilge outlet down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deflect Boat Bilge outlet down?

Has anyone figured out a way to deflect the bilge pump outlet so it doesn’t shoot straight out (ie onto a dock)? Without removing the existing through-hull, trying to see if anyone has gotten creative to try to get the outlet to deflect down vs out.

hang a bumper in front of it when you are at the dock.

Comment

something like this?

https://www.havasuwatercraft.com/pro...fitting-silver
      Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

Dock the boat the other direction?

Comment

Originally posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
          Oh, now we are talking- though I’m really trying not to have to remove the factory through hull and then reseal a new one if I can help it. But it’s a strong contender…

The issue for me isn’t so much the “parked at the dock” as much as it’s the ‘going up on the lift’, at some point the bilge pump projects onto the wall and I’m trying to keep from manually having to deflect the output.

Comment

Any reason you don't manually run the bilge as you approach the dock before parking? Maybe a picture of your dock will help explain what you are dealing with.

Comment

Wouldn’t solve the problem, unfortunately.

Long story short, the boat sits slightly more aft heavy in the water than it does on my lift (boat cradle rail into a boathouse). So as soon as I pull it up, I get more water rushing towards the middle and it kicks the bilge on. If I remember to pull the plug early, most of the time no problem. If I don’t, bilge kicks in and sprays water on the side of the boathouse which I don’t want. I also have other things in the boathouse that I’d prefer don’t get water sprayed all over them but that’s less of a consideration as I can always change where stuff is stored.

Comment

Quick update- when doing some more research against Neil's link, I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/111629360074

Ended up ordering it and will update with pics and functionality when I try it out.

Comment

Installed. Didn’t go quite as planned, so this may not be a permanent solution though it actually works really well.

I didn’t realize the factory bilge exit retainer nut is actually epoxied to the boat, so that created some challenges with a clean R&R; secondarily the fitting I ordered is a 1” diameter through hull and the factory Atwood is a 1.5” it looks like. So the flange of the new fitting barely hit the sides of the hole. So…. Ended up drilling out the Atwood fitting and screwing this new one into it and reinstalling. It works perfectly, but my MCOCD says it’s not ‘clean’ enough so may see if this guy can do a custom machined one for me to replace the factory Atwood.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Will the barb of the new fitting fit through the OEM bilge port? You could modify and use it as the bezel instead of the black bezel. ??
                    Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

Originally posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
                      Will the barb of the new fitting fit through the OEM bilge port? You could modify and use it as the bezel instead of the black bezel. ??
                      Not quite, which was the problem- the threaded portion of the new outlet is just about 1/8” too wide for the factory outlet; when I went to drill it out so I could do exactly what you are describing, I learned the way the trim ring is mounted to the outlet precludes you from just drilling it out (it wraps around into the outlet and is molded to the plastic); if you try to drill it out you’ll actually cut off the part of the metal that holds it to the plastic, then you’ll just have the black plastic like I have.

Comment

Working...
                      X