Trailering with or without a cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailering with or without a cover

We are taking a trip from Minnesota to Tennessee this summer and I'm trying to figure out if I should keep the cover on or not while driving. My concern is if you drive through rain, road construction etc... I just replaced the whole interior last year and I'd like to keep everything looking new. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

There are several schools of thought here. I would vote for the cover. Since you just replaced your interior you have to assume a windshield is going to be expensive because the boat is likely 10 years old or more. Its probably worth protecting from pebbles etc. Put a moving blanket on the front of the windshield and wrap plastic wrap around where the cover is tight. Maybe put a noodle or pipe insulation over the windshield frame and even rub rail. Then tighten the cover down and go. Rain and road debris will make a mess quickly. Ask Aric about his tow to the 50th reunion.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Popcorn Sutton01.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2702583
      93 190
      (safe click)

Comment

I tow cover on. With the obvious weather and debris protection benefits, I’m also able to carry other items in the boat without worrying they’ll get blown out of the boat on the trip. Packing blanket on the windshield for sure. I used to do the whole shrink wrap at the cover/gel interface line, but on the X22, I didn’t see much movement of the cover on the bow areas, so now I just use a couple strips of delicate surface painters tape on the back quarters of the boat where the cover contacts the gel and haven’t had a problem. I also cover the hand holds on the transom seats as the cover rests directly on these and the cover was wearing fast in this area.
        2022 XSTARS
        2020 X22
        2019 XT22
        2017 XT20

Comment

I've always travelled cover on and have never had any issues. No "micro scratches" in the gel, and it was black. Make sure the poles are in and tight, make sure all the straps are secured and tight. Use tape to secure the running ends of the straps on the sides. Ensure the ratchet straps on the transom are banjo string tight.

Comment

I've never towed with the cover on... I've always wanted to get to the water and go. Not have to pull off to the side and take the cover off. Although some good points were made to trailer withe cover on. Most boats I see being towed, especially during the summer months have no cover....

Comment

If you choose to tow with the cover on, I suggest buying stretch wrap from Home Depot and placing several layers of around the gunnels where the cover rubs. Also take a swim noodle and cut it length wise so you can push it over the top edge of the windshield to prevent rubbing there.
              2005 X45
              2009 X45
              2018 X46
              2022 XStar-S

Comment

I’ve towed long distances with the cover on many times. I’d never consider not. Boat arrives clean and I can travel with gear in the boat w/out worrying about it blowing away. Like others, I drape a shipping blanket over the windshield under the cover.

The other thing I always do is wrap the tower in shrink wrap, then run duct tape down the front edges of the tower (over the shrink wrap) which holds it all together. When I reach my destination, it’s covered in bug carcasses, but I grab a razor blade and it all comes off, and my tower is completely clean. I have speakersox for the speakers and board racks.

I’m always worried about gravel rash on the bow, but never had a problem.

—Sky
                ------------------------------------------------
                2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
                2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

Thank you for all the great ideas. I'm glad most trailer with the cover on. Does anyone use a Rock Tamer or anything for trailering that far or do you think it's not really needed especially if you put a moving blanket or something over the windshield. Thanks again everyone!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock Tamer.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2702603 Rock tamer 100% Especially on that long haul.

Comment

I was always told not to tow with the cover one and so I have never tried it.

Comment

Did it once and it scuffed the gel up pretty good on the XT22. Never again.
                        Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                        Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                        2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                        For Sale:
                        2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Get a factory shipping cover and use that. Dealer should have some.

Comment

With that distance, you will loose a day, in cleaning upon arrival (minimum). Possible, windshield breakage (I've broken, TWO!) Buy a quality, tight fitting cover(like above) wash and paste wax) the areas the cover will touch. Yes, I put beach towels on windshield. You need to order, NOW! Will take a least six weeks to get one. Yes, they will be expensive. It will add value, to boat on resale, OR sell the cover on the forum, after you return.
                            sigpic Ayyyy!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Comment

There are covers specifically designed for trailering and there are covers that are really for storage. Some covers that are really designed for storage will say you can use them for trailering. I've towed boats with true trailering covers and that works just fine IMO. I've also towed boats with well secured storage covers, and I won't do that anymore because I've had some scratching of the boat and damage to the covers.

My definition of a true trailering covers is a cover with a heavy woven nylon perimeter strap that has ratchets for getting that strap very tight. The ratchets are in zippered bags built into the cover at the stern so the ratchets can't bounce around and scratch the boat. The cover is supported by poles that have additional woven nylon straps between them and to secure connection points on the boat. They also never cover the platform, just the boat.
                              -----------------------------------
                              Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
                              Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
                              Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Working...
                              X