Color Blind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BROUSSARD View Post
    Colors appear differently on every screen. This is why no color looks identical in real life to a graphic depiction on a computer screen. There are numerous articles on this phenomenon..
    Again, I think this argument is total baloney. If the car companies online configurator matches real life, and Polaris snowmobiles as well, at a fraction of the price point, then MC can do it too. BTW, I have the printed catalogue and the color palette in there (the color swatch and the XT21) is same as online, not what they delivered - so the computer screen argument is moot.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BROUSSARD View Post
        The MasterCraft gel colors match the gel swatches that dealers have.
        this. if it was that important to you, you should have looked at the gel swatch first. if i were spending that much on a vehicle or boat i definitely would.

Comment

in your polaris example, the online pic looks way more yellow and the real-life one looks green.

Comment

You'll start liking it when everyone at the lake tells you how much they love it. Good thing is you're not going to be attached to it so you can trade it in a few years and get another one.

Again I think it looks great.

Comment

MC's configurator colors are definitely not real life but I wouldn't just blindly order something because it looked good on a digital image.

Attached Files

Comment

My F-150 looked silver on the dealer's website but it's green IRL. That's why I got a smoking deal on it.

Comment

First off, sorry that you're unhappy with the product you received. As you mentioned, at the price point you're paying its normal to have high expectations and want it the way you envisioned it. However, after seeing a couple other pictures of the "combat green" on different MC's it appears they're all pretty consistent. Did you see the boat in real life before ordering? Or just configure on the computer and go for it? It is a noticeable difference but again, it appears to be consistent. I don't think something is "wrong" with your boat, just an unfortunate situation. My favor color is army green so I can see why you wish it had a darker tone. Good luck moving forward.

Comment

Ahhh - Some Color basics Kids - Basing True Color off of a web-site and or color monitor display is impossible, even with a true calibrated monitor for print. This is not the fault of the manufacture, it is just color science. The factors of color variation are basically impossible, given additive color (Light/Monitor) and Subtractive Color (Print, or in this case Gel Coat Color) For example, even when you look at a Gel Coat or Printed color swatch and view it under different lighting conditions, say Incandescent light of about 3000k, vs proper print comparison lighting of 5000k (sunlight in the shade or under a cloud) or direct sunlight of about 6500k - The color will look wildly different to the human eye, then combined with every single persons difference of color perception in the human brain. This factor is Metamerism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamerism_(color) "Fun Fact" It is extremely rare for Woman to be Color Blind.

Matching a monitor (Additive Color) and Print (Subtractive Color) even using Spectral 3 dimensional color space (L, a-b) is a tall order, even with very advanced expensive software/hardware, large variations exist due to the difference in color gamut between. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space Even in print, when we spectral analyze color with a Spectral Photometer for a color match of the target of less then 3 delta E (Most people can not see a difference of (3 Delta or less) However as stated, when we take a swatch produced with different methods (inks, gel coat, paint etc.) viewed under proper lighting (5000k) and then lower or higher Kelvin lighting, they can be perceived as wildly different. (Metamerism)

My point being, I understand what you viewed on the monitor, vs the actual color are wildly different, not a surprise to me (having studied print/color all my life) this is all too common. The only way to be sure you are getting what you expect, is to take the actual gel swatch, & view it under the different lighting conditions. Now if the actual gel swatch, is different than the boat gel, then you truly have a complaint with the manufacture as their color quality control is then off. Now with Metallic Color & Metal Flake - Forget about it!!!

Who new, you all were getting a lesson on Color Theory Today -

Comment

Originally posted by MattsCraft View Post
                      Ahhh - Some Color basics Kids - Basing True Color off of a web-site and or color monitor display is impossible, even with a true calibrated monitor for print. This is not the fault of the manufacture, it is just color science. The factors of color variation are basically impossible, given additive color (Light/Monitor) and Subtractive Color (Print, or in this case Gel Coat Color) For example, even when you look at a Gel Coat or Printed color swatch and view it under different lighting conditions, say Incandescent light of about 3000k, vs proper print comparison lighting of 5000k (sunlight in the shade or under a cloud) or direct sunlight of about 6500k - The color will look wildly different to the human eye, then combined with every single persons difference of color perception in the human brain. This factor is Metamerism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamerism_(color) "Fun Fact" It is extremely rare for Woman to be Color Blind.

Matching a monitor (Additive Color) and Print (Subtractive Color) even using Spectral 3 dimensional color space (L, a-b) is a tall order, even with very advanced expensive software/hardware, large variations exist due to the difference in color gamut between. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space Even in print, when we spectral analyze color with a Spectral Photometer for a color match of the target of less then 3 delta E (Most people can not see a difference of (3 Delta or less) However as stated, when we take a swatch produced with different methods (inks, gel coat, paint etc.) viewed under proper lighting (5000k) and then lower or higher Kelvin lighting, they can be perceived as wildly different. (Metamerism)

My point being, I understand what you viewed on the monitor, vs the actual color are wildly different, not a surprise to me (having studied print/color all my life) this is all too common. The only way to be sure you are getting what you expect, is to take the actual gel swatch, & view it under the different lighting conditions. Now if the actual gel swatch, is different than the boat gel, then you truly have a complaint with the manufacture as their color quality control is then off. Now with Metallic Color & Metal Flake - Forget about it!!!

Who new, you all were getting a lesson on Color Theory Today -
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                      This !

Who knew my time working in a textile dyehouse would pay off 25 years later. Never, never, never believe the colors you see on a monitor.
                      2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

I say enjoy and live with it (because it does look great!) or talk to the dealer and let them sell if for you. Not much else is going to be done.

Comment

Seen on the screen vs. actual - many variables to consider. Photographers use monitor calibration software and kits to address this, for important commercial / critical work.

I just ordered a new Toyota this year from the factory and the way the light strikes the color we chose - it was not super-well represented online and in brochures. We sought out vehicles in that color and we liked the color more in sunlight than in shade.

All that being said, your boat looks awesome and will be fairly unique I would expect !

Comment

The ONLY thing that matters here is were you happy with the boat. Seems like the answer is no. Your boat looks nice but if it was the color from the website it would look better. I hate when salesman won't validate your feelings, that's one of their few jobs. They should have agreed with you and then moved on to how they can get you into a boat you want. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by DHPRO View Post

Again, I think this argument is total baloney. If the car companies online configurator matches real life, and Polaris snowmobiles as well, at a fraction of the price point, then MC can do it too. BTW, I have the printed catalogue and the color palette in there (the color swatch and the XT21) is same as online, not what they delivered - so the computer screen argument is moot.
                              Again, I think you are extremely hard headed and a bit delusional. Expecting a printed color or digital rendering to match actual gel coat is ludicrous.

Comment

I like the boat in fact, but that doesnt mean I should be happy the color isn’t what they advertised and I spec’d.
                                All you color theorists are missing the point…1. they have no disclaimer that the colors shown in marketing media are only approximations and “may” vary from actual, 2. There were no gel coat swatches available for the new color, 3. There may have been pix of actual boats online, but frankly it’s up to them to enlighten me of the variations, not the other way around, 4. They have a whole marketing team whose sole responsibility is to make sure all the media and website offer the truest representation of their product…they failed miserably, and that’s a business problem for luxury items at this price point. If it was an accent color it might not matter, but it’s the whole boat!
                                All Ive asked is that they own the mistakes and make me a happy customer again. Oh…and give my wife a blindfold - she picked the color!

Comment

Working...
                                X