Color Blind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BROUSSARD View Post

Again, I think you are extremely hard headed and a bit delusional. Expecting a printed color or digital rendering to match actual gel coat is ludicrous.
    Why? They can match any color with ease so there should be no variation. They see the same catalogue and website I do.

Comment

Not only will it not match the computer image, it'll be different in direct natural light, scattered natural light, reflected natural light, fluorescent light, incandescent light, various types of LED. Custom paint/gel coat professionals can show you multiple colors that look all the same under one and all completely different under another form of light. It's an enormously difficult task to get the consistency manufacturers require.

My .02 is that boat looks like what "combat green" should look like when it's in a glossy low natural light situation. If you were expecting it to look like a matte olive drab humvee I dunno what to tell ya.
      Tim
      2021 Lone Star MasterBash
      Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
      1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
      1995 MC ProStar 205
      ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

Comment

Originally posted by DHPRO View Post

Why? They can match any color with ease so there should be no variation. They see the same catalogue and website I do.
        As multiple people have informed you - the color will appear differently on different displays (screens) and different lighting conditions (i.e. the light in the room or wherever you viewed the rendering or catalog) will have an effect on the way the color appears. The only way to accurately see the gel color is to use gel swatches. Additionally the same green (or red or blue) will look slightly different depending on the gel colors that surround it.

I understand your disappointment and agree that the dealer should have let you know that the online rendering would not exactly match the color of the gel, but expecting renderings to match physical gel coat is unreasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsCraft View Post
          Ahhh - Some Color basics Kids - Basing True Color off of a web-site and or color monitor display is impossible, even with a true calibrated monitor for print. This is not the fault of the manufacture, it is just color science. The factors of color variation are basically impossible, given additive color (Light/Monitor) and Subtractive Color (Print, or in this case Gel Coat Color) For example, even when you look at a Gel Coat or Printed color swatch and view it under different lighting conditions, say Incandescent light of about 3000k, vs proper print comparison lighting of 5000k (sunlight in the shade or under a cloud) or direct sunlight of about 6500k - The color will look wildly different to the human eye, then combined with every single persons difference of color perception in the human brain. This factor is Metamerism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamerism_(color) "Fun Fact" It is extremely rare for Woman to be Color Blind.

Matching a monitor (Additive Color) and Print (Subtractive Color) even using Spectral 3 dimensional color space (L, a-b) is a tall order, even with very advanced expensive software/hardware, large variations exist due to the difference in color gamut between. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space Even in print, when we spectral analyze color with a Spectral Photometer for a color match of the target of less then 3 delta E (Most people can not see a difference of (3 Delta or less) However as stated, when we take a swatch produced with different methods (inks, gel coat, paint etc.) viewed under proper lighting (5000k) and then lower or higher Kelvin lighting, they can be perceived as wildly different. (Metamerism)

My point being, I understand what you viewed on the monitor, vs the actual color are wildly different, not a surprise to me (having studied print/color all my life) this is all too common. The only way to be sure you are getting what you expect, is to take the actual gel swatch, & view it under the different lighting conditions. Now if the actual gel swatch, is different than the boat gel, then you truly have a complaint with the manufacture as their color quality control is then off. Now with Metallic Color & Metal Flake - Forget about it!!!

Who new, you all were getting a lesson on Color Theory Today -
          Dammit, I knew I should've read the 3rd page of the thread instead of jumping to the end and dumbing down an actually good comment lol
          Tim
          2021 Lone Star MasterBash
          Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
          1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
          1995 MC ProStar 205
          ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

Comment

They have a whole marketing team whose sole responsibility is to make sure all the media and website offer the truest representation of their product…they failed miserably, and that’s a business problem for luxury items at this price point.
            No they didn't. They literally have an XT21 on their site in combat green. No different from the color you chose. Additionally, as others have said, you could have looked at the dealer swatches... It sounds like you relied solely on the configurator and it backfired.

You said you liked your boat. You (we) were schooled on color theory. You're still complaining. What?!?
            -Tolman
            '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
            '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

You are starting to sound like "that customer". No they are not going to reduce the boat by thousands of dollars because YOU think they messed up. If I was as put off as you are coming across, I would sell the boat, get the dealer to consign, do whatever it takes to get my money back. It sounds like you will just be miserable that you didnt get what you thought you should have received and there is no way to make you happy about the purchase. If I was this pissed about my boat, I wouldnt want it at my dock. I had a car I hated in the past and took a major loss because there was no way I would be happy if I had kept it. At least you're in a better position with a shortage of boats and what many would consider to be a great looking boat. Time to move on.....

Comment

I like the boat in fact, but that doesnt mean I should be happy the color isn’t what they advertised and I spec’d.
                All you color theorists are missing the point…1. they have no disclaimer that the colors shown in marketing media are only approximations and “may” vary from actual, 2. There were no gel coat swatches available for the new color, 3. There may have been pix of actual boats online, but frankly it’s up to them to enlighten me of the variations, not the other way around, 4. They have a whole marketing team whose sole responsibility is to make sure all the media and website offer the truest representation of their product…they failed miserably, and that’s a business problem for luxury items at this price point. If it was an accent color it might not matter, but it’s the whole boat!
                All Ive asked is that they own the mistakes and make me a happy customer again. Oh…and give my wife a blindfold - she picked the color!

holy. Are you saying that you should completely absolutely no due diligence on a 300k boat purchase?

You used Porsche, so here’s chalk on a GT2 RS.

you used Polaris, here’s the burgundy off their site versus what color my ranger actually is.

I think you’re seeing red because you have red goggles on. Sounds like you don’t like the color your wife picked.

also, why the hell did you buy it when it came in if you didn’t like it?????????
                Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                For Sale:
                2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhorse View Post
                  You are starting to sound like "that customer"… Time to move on.....
                  I think that about sums it up…Ill agree to disagree and move on. Thanks for letting me rant.

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post

holy. Are you saying that you should completely absolutely no due diligence on a 300k boat purchase?

You used Porsche, so here’s chalk on a GT2 RS.

you used Polaris, here’s the burgundy off their site versus what color my ranger actually is.

I think you’re seeing red because you have red goggles on. Sounds like you don’t like the color your wife picked.

also, why the hell did you buy it when it came in if you didn’t like it?????????
                    Aric, your ranger is purple, I can't unsee it now

Comment

Originally posted by dmbeck View Post

Aric, your ranger is purple, I can't unsee it now
                      You nailed it Dave!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	231
Size:	657.5 KB
ID:	2703112
                      2017 NXT22, 2015 NXT20, 2007 X2, 2002 209

Comment

Xstar S.... Owf. ouch.
                        Did you actually complete the deal/close on it when you went to pick up and saw the color? Just wondering if at that point of dealer pick up did you realize and could you just refuse to follow through on the sale and hand over the money? I would have told them no way and they can get on the horn and fix it our I walk. I have no idea on the size of deposit to get the deal going for a build slot, but it seems like that would have been the time/option to throw down over the color issue with the potential you have to walk away with no boat and possibly not another allocation and down a deposit.

Personally, I like the color combo - definitely looks good. For the money though, I'd argue that you need to ensure you're happy with it as it's not small bucks. If you're not happy, you probably won't ever be happy. You may be able to live with it, justify it, and even enjoy it but you won't be happy with it. Flip side of that...if you can step back and it's more of a matter of unexpected but you don't hate it and it's one of those happy mistakes, then awesome and you got an awesome boat. Hope you can land in a good spot but don't let anyone force you to spend that much money and not be satisfied and if that's the case, you gotta fight on this one (my 2 cents).

Comment

Okay so showed my wife. She says the original (configuration color) looked like baby poop and the color you got is way, way, way better. .....so there's another data point that this may be a good thing on how this ended up. I definitely like it....if I could afford a brand new X-Star S right now, I'd offer to take it off your hand and get you out of it but I'm like XT/X22 territory in 1-2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by TolCarMan View Post
                            The online colors are definitely different than the actual colors, but I would think it would be close to impossible for MC to make the colors realistic online. It seems like there are many factors (that MC can't control) that go into making a color appear a certain way in the real world. As others have said, its unfortunate that your boat doesn't meet expectations, but it isn't any different from other combat green boats. I personally like it!

Here's another example of colors not matching. I actually think kahuna flake looks worse online.
                            The blue looks like an exact match to me lol

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post

You nailed it Dave!
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	231
Size:	657.5 KB
ID:	2703112
                              no that’s just my trailer lol
                              Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                              Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                              2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                              For Sale:
                              2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Looks like you need a bigger trailer
                                -Tolman
                                '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
                                '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

Working...
                                X