Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tennessee passes new Wakesurf & Wakeboarding law - Effective July 1, 2022

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
    I live on a 1,330 acre lake and it gets surf boat size waves when it’s windy. There aren’t any boats out when this happens. Surf boat size waves repeatedly for sometimes hours.

    It seems to me a wake boat would be pretty minor compared to Mother Nature when it comes to shoreline. At least in this situation.
    Depends on the lake. On our lake, surf waves will be up to 6 times higher than any wind on our lake. No boat has sunk due to wind on our lake but some have sank due to surf waves.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Tsumi View Post

      Depends on the lake. On our lake, surf waves will be up to 6 times higher than any wind on our lake. No boat has sunk due to wind on our lake but some have sank due to surf waves.
      How big is your lake?

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
        How big is your lake?
        1260 acres.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post

          I disagree this is just quite a silly argument I can fix this easily - all motorized boats must operate either at idle no wake speed or fully on plane. Do you prefer this version of the law? It after all fixes cabin cruisers and larger vessels operating not on plane as well as fixes wake boats not operating fully on plane.

          Or how about no vessel may be ballasted for purposes of wake enhancement? Does that fix the law for you?

          The fundamental problem is that there is only ONE group of people that are operating vessels modified for the purposes of converting mechanical energy into wave energy. And those are wake surf/wakeboard towboats.

          There are boats that run ballast for stability, such as sail boats that pump water side to side to counter the sail area's wind effect etc. But there is exactly one group of people who have boats modified to create waves for the purpose of making waves - and that's why they're being regulated.

          I find the size of a vessel directly correlates to the fuel consumption and directly correlates to having fuel consumption gauges and most owners of large vessels operate at whatever the fuel consumption gauge tells them to be ideal.
          Or we could just eliminate all the docks on the lake outside of marina's. That would enhance the natural beauty and then no one would be complaining about large wakes.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by jgraham37128 View Post

            Or we could just eliminate all the docks on the lake outside of marina's. That would enhance the natural beauty and then no one would be complaining about large wakes.
            Sure IE vacate the riparian rights of all land owners on navigable waters.

            I'll tell you there is FAR more legislative and judicial rights afforded to riparian owners (water frontage has always been valuable since well ever) than afforded to a class of boat owners that didn't exist before the 1990's.

            That's really the issue here, wake barges are a fad - we're in the midst of it - and even to other watersports enthusiasts - even those who own wake boats other wake boats are friggin annoying (the truth is it is the operators not the boats)

            But why do people seek regulation on the boats? Well its because the operators of wake barges on average are dicks. Not saying none of them understand marine etiquette - not saying none of them are better than tubers - just saying by and large as a class a lot of them are in it for the sport of wakesurfing or wake boarding and have no understanding of the prevailing etiquette of a lake, of operating/piloting a vessel.

            So calling out "big boats" which the bigger the boat generally the more likely it is either respected or as they get really big they hire literally professional pilots to move them - well that's just really disengenuious.

            Don't be dicks with your boat and people won't complain.

            I attend our riparian landowners association, I have served on the board. I don't think anyone has ever complained about a cabin cruiser off plane putting up the lake. We get complaints about the "cigar" style boats ripping up the lake making noise but then again thats a noise issue.

            remember though the RIPARIAN OWNERS usually in most states own the ground from their lot to the center. You're on their land - you have rights to use the water - but they own the land you are on.

            Comment


            • #36
              Add to it - they own the land, they generally speaking are older, have more money, have more time to be on their property, and are far more irritated about you than you are of them.

              Factor all that in and as owners of boats designed to generate wakes - well expect to be regulated out of existence if you cannot figure out how to be invisible.

              Of all boats literally all marine vessels which other vessel other than surf and wakeboard purposefully convert thrust to wake.... i'll wait.
              Last edited by 88 PS190; 05-09-2022, 09:01 PM.

              Comment


              • #37
                I agree its the drivers not the boat and everyone should be respectful of others people property.

                I'm also a waterfront owner at my main house and own to the middle of my river but the water is not mine it's controlled by US Army Corp of engineers. If your boating behind my house you're not on my property. My property is below you. That's like claiming airspace above my house.

                At my lake no homeowners own to the water all of their property falls short of the shore line, so they really have no argument because its not their property its the governments. Same at Tim's Ford they don't own to the water either it falls short and they have to have a TERDA permit to tie their dock to their property along with a dock permit. I could see this being the start of we stopped those boats now lets start to complain about something else only to realize the government is tired of the complaints and will not be renewing any permits once they expire. Won't happen overnight

                What about those water front owners where someone is trying to fish and the owners come out and start splashing water or doing everything to disturb them and all their doing is fishing? No wake no music blasting....You can see countless videos on you tube of it happening.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by jgraham37128 View Post
                  What about those water front owners where someone is trying to fish and the owners come out and start splashing water or doing everything to disturb them and all their doing is fishing? No wake no music blasting....You can see countless videos on you tube of it happening.
                  This is illegal in Georgia

                  https://www.fishwildlife.org/law-res...y%20preventing

                  2000 Prostar 205V

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by jgraham37128 View Post
                    What about those water front owners where someone is trying to fish and the owners come out and start splashing water or doing everything to disturb them and all their doing is fishing? No wake no music blasting....You can see countless videos on you tube of it happening.
                    Also illegal in Alabama:

                    ​​​​​​​https://www.fishwildlife.org/law-res...sment-statutes

                    2000 Prostar 205V

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post

                      That's really the issue here, wake barges are a fad - we're in the midst of it - and even to other watersports enthusiasts - even those who own wake boats other wake boats are friggin annoying (the truth is it is the operators not the boats)

                      But why do people seek regulation on the boats? Well its because the operators of wake barges on average are dicks. Not saying none of them understand marine etiquette - not saying none of them are better than tubers - just saying by and large as a class a lot of them are in it for the sport of wakesurfing or wake boarding and have no understanding of the prevailing etiquette of a lake, of operating/piloting a vessel.

                      Add to it - they own the land, they generally speaking are older, have more money, have more time to be on their property, and are far more irritated about you than you are of them.

                      Factor all that in and as owners of boats designed to generate wakes - well expect to be regulated out of existence if you cannot figure out how to be invisible.

                      Of all boats literally all marine vessels which other vessel other than surf and wakeboard purposefully convert thrust to wake.... i'll wait.
                      I dont think it is a "Fad" a fad by definition is short lived and wake surfing has only gotten more and more popular. Sounds like the hate snowboarders used to get. I think wake surfing is here to stay. Mastercraft owners manuals already point out that you should stay 200 feet away from shore/docks, so these laws shouldn't affect those of us who Surf responsibly. I agree with some of what is said here, but this whole get off my lawn mentality is played out... You dont own the water and that sort of attitude doesn't usually fix any problems, albeit it is entertaining to read the "passionate" posts.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by zpacheco View Post

                        I dont think it is a "Fad" a fad by definition is short lived and wake surfing has only gotten more and more popular. You dont own the water and that sort of attitude doesn't usually fix any problems, albeit it is entertaining to read the "passionate" posts.
                        Well the response to this is easy - surfing is a fad, fuel prices going up, regulations on waterways and emissions - who knows its a sport that even to other watersports is in its infancy and is extremely popular now - but then again rewind to the early 2000's wakeboarding was the jam and people were doing it and now... well not so much.

                        But to focus on the "own the water"

                        Any activity attempts to own the water, its just a question of how much, for how long, and to what extent. A fly fisherman wading on a creek is "owning" that area, a stand up paddleboarder or a kayaker, or a swimmer "owns" a stretch of water.

                        But you'd be hard pressed to find an activity that renders an area of water less useful than having a surf boat circling. That's just what it is, I used to slalom ski on rivers with barges that were 1/4 mile long yes they make wakes - big wakes even - but you can navigate them in a ski boat at speed, they're long rolling waves that are always going parallel to the stream. They are probably taller than wake boat waves but again long continuous and you see them coming for miles on the river. Things a barge has never done - knocked my mom off the swim platform while she was putting on her skis, required me to drop my skier fully to navigate their wakes, cracked my dashboard off its screws. Things wake boats have done - well all of those things.

                        Its just the nature of the beast, anywhere a truly large non-planing vessel operates they do so in a channel, a navigation path, a route, or however you want to call it. They don't circle, they don't stop, they don't turn, they just cruise.

                        So if we want to say anyone is overly claiming rights to the water - well then lets look at vessels that make water less useful for everyone and there is no way to argue that ballasted wake boats don't displace other uses of a watersway more than other types of usage - and that's my whole point if someone has a boat carrying more water ballast than the entire displacement weight of most other types of boats - well that's a problem - its the proverbial nail that is going to get hammered, and well frankly as a riparian owner I'm not on your side and at meetings that weigh my ability to use a slalom course vs your ability to make wakes well I'm not on your side - and that should be something you care about because these laws are again the nail that is gonna get hammered there is literally no argument that the recreational activity of surfing can be compatible UNLESS surf boat owners self police.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Sorry my post was too long.

                          new one: dear surfers we would like to share the waterways collaboratively kindly regulate your wake production to maximize everyone's ability to use the water and control your impact on the lake.

                          thank you kindly everyone else.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by jgraham37128 View Post
                            I agree its the drivers not the boat and everyone should be respectful of others people property.

                            I'm also a waterfront owner at my main house and own to the middle of my river but the water is not mine it's controlled by US Army Corp of engineers. If your boating behind my house you're not on my property. My property is below you. That's like claiming airspace above my house.

                            At my lake no homeowners own to the water all of their property falls short of the shore line, so they really have no argument because its not their property its the governments. Same at Tim's Ford they don't own to the water either it falls short and they have to have a TERDA permit to tie their dock to their property along with a dock permit. I could see this being the start of we stopped those boats now lets start to complain about something else only to realize the government is tired of the complaints and will not be renewing any permits once they expire. Won't happen overnight

                            What about those water front owners where someone is trying to fish and the owners come out and start splashing water or doing everything to disturb them and all their doing is fishing? No wake no music blasting....You can see countless videos on you tube of it happening.
                            You do own the airspace above your house. The FAA controls navigable air, which is 500-1000 feet, but below that is your air where anything that invades can be considered trespassing.

                            Now, a waterway such as yours is regulated by government entities but as a property owner of the area, you (and all others) do have a say in how it is regulated. If your voice happens to be the minority... well, tough, that's how democracies (are supposed to) work.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              if you don't like the laws you have to elect different representatives or you need to let your legislators know your view point... if everyone who posted here sent a letter to their representative the law may have been more to your liking... remember you no longer live in a free country you live in a country of laws that are written one on top of another on top of another until no matter what you do you break the "law". So if you don't like the new law and enough others feel the same way you can get it amended, but it takes allot of work.

                              Some people have more time to have "get off my lawn" laws written others get what those folks want....

                              YMMV...

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I need to order more lead.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X