Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool video of Recovery of a $400K Pavati boat sunk in Lake Powell.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have every Pavati made with these transom seats recalled and have a secure latch installed on the transom seats. If somebody does not close one the rear seats all the way and you come off throttle a wall of water will surge in flooding the boat. Would bet money this is what happened to this guy. Here is a video from Pavati

https://youtu.be/bjbxGpGhLSY

Comment

I've never been a fan of the Pavati but then again I'm sure there's a lot of people it appeals to. That's the great thing about a market based economy, people can vote with their dollars. That said why would you use a $5 rubber plug of any design? I get that these are probably used in saltwater and the challenges of using something like a brass plug with an aluminum boat but you're machining so many parts it just seems odd you wouldn't come up with something better that's threaded and you use a wrench on for the rear plug. There's a reason all mainstream inboards use them and I think this kind of demonstrates that.

As to anyone with a lick of sense doing this on purpose with their family onboard, I'm not buying that. Having survived a boat fire that burned the boat down to the waterline in the Detroit river the chances for severe injury or death is just too great and that's without adding children to the mix. In our case there were several phases where I honestly didn't know everyone would make it for sure. I'm willing to bet he was thinking the same thing. You just never know what's going to happen in these situations and don't realize just how quickly things can turn sideways in these situations.

Comment

that plug on the outside would have a bunch of pressure pushing it in? I just looked at that Pavati promo for the stern seats. That looks like a redflag to me. no latches or anything to secure those low seats where according to Dave, they submerge? That looks like an accident waiting to, or caused an accident. They should fix that stern on all their boats. Locking latches at a minimum.

Comment

So having owned a previous boat that had very low transom, I understand the following wave and the Pavati stern seating issue.

However, what prevents similar issues from occurring on the new wave of other surf boats (i.e. read XStar S, etc.) that have transom seating as well?

Granted those don't go directly into the engine compartment, but I would hope bilge pumps are up to the task if an unseasoned driver forgets and pulls back on the throttle abruptly...

Comment

Yo Bro...............................

Comment

Originally posted by jackpine View Post
              So having owned a previous boat that had very low transom, I understand the following wave and the Pavati stern seating issue.

However, what prevents similar issues from occurring on the new wave of other surf boats (i.e. read XStar S, etc.) that have transom seating as well?

Granted those don't go directly into the engine compartment, but I would hope bilge pumps are up to the task if an unseasoned driver forgets and pulls back on the throttle abruptly...
              I can speak about the X-Star-S. I took delivery of mine late last summer and found out quickly that if you have the boat ballasted, you must come off plane slowly when a rider falls or you will take the wave over the transom. In my previous Mastercraft's X15, X30, X45 and X46 I could cut the throttle when ballasted and on plane with no issue. It only took me a few times with the XStar-S to adjust my driving habits. To be fair the G23 also has the similar issue.
              2005 X45
              2009 X45
              2018 X46
              2022 XStar-S

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
                I would have every Pavati made with these transom seats recalled and have a secure latch installed on the transom seats. If somebody does not close one the rear seats all the way and you come off throttle a wall of water will surge in flooding the boat. Would bet money this is what happened to this guy. Here is a video from Pavati

https://youtu.be/bjbxGpGhLSY
                That transom design is pretty awesome though, well thought out! Especially the engine access panel.

Comment

when i see response videos to clickbait videos that to me means 110% it was pure clickbait and nothing real about it. Sorry still not buying it dont watch either of the videos and give these guys any clickbait cash.

Comment

I have to disagree. I watched both videos and enjoyed them. He certainly made his case about not putting his beautiful family in jeopardy.

Comment

exactly when it is completely staged his family was never in jeopardy.......

Comment

Well then, we'll call it my contribution to him buying a new boat.

Comment

Originally posted by ONTHECOAST View Post
                          Well then, we'll call it my contribution to him buying a new boat.
                          Same here... Seems like an awfully expensive boat just to get clicks... but either way the videos were interesting.

Comment

Working...
                          X