1987 ProStar 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 ProStar 200

I've been out of the ski boat scene for a while but I couldn't say no to this one. Unfortunately it's been bottom painted which is a shame because I can't find a nick or scratch on the whole boat. The interior is fairly new, it has the original carpet which is actually in decent shape, and the dash is all there. The motor is a 99' 150hp but if I'm not mistaken they are usually rigged with 200hp? Anywhoo, thought I would share. I'll post some more pics this week as I dive into this project. Any info or comments on this particular hull would be much appreciated. I've owned a few MC's but never an outboard version. Heck, I've never even ridden in one!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	2704344

Nice PS200. I have an ‘88 and the only differences from your ‘87 are the dash in mine is black and the seat skins pattern. Fun boats with plenty of interior room due to the motor hanging on the back.

They are pretty weight sensitive due to their lighter weight. Nice flat wakes and extra top speed over the inboard PS 190.

Mine has a 1991 Mercury 200 XRi and performs well with a 17” PowerTech ELE 4 bladed prop. Wide open nets 50mph.

Enjoy your outboard MC, and let me know if you have any questions.

Mike B
    Last edited by orbeamlb; 05-11-2022, 08:24 AM.
    Mike B

Comment

Thanks, I do have a few questions.
      1. Does your 88' have the dash with the pod like mine or is it all one piece like the 190
      2. When you're just cruising say 28-35 mph without a skier do you trim the motor up at all or do you keep it in all the way.
      3. I'm having a hard time locating the Prostar 200 decal for the boat, any leads? The barefoot 200 decal is available but I'd like to keep the original look.

Thanks again.

Mike C
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1090.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	2704821

Comment

Mike C,

Yes my ‘88 has the pod dash just like yours. The fiberglass dash itself is black. Reach out to Peter Biever, he should be able to assist with the decals.

We ski with the motor trimmed all the way in and trimmed out a bit to a neutral position while cruising around. It will pick up a couple of mph that way. Just trim back out until you feel the hull drag ease and you’ll see a bump in rpm’s and mph.
        Mike B

Comment

Another photo with a better view of the dash (yes, we took a skeleton out with us around Halloween time. He definitely drew plenty of attention).
          Mike B

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. That is a sharp looking boat, and I really like the black dash. After seeing pics of your pod I definitely need to lose those Yamaha gauges on my boat.

Comment

Originally posted by orbeamlb View Post
              Mike C,

Yes my ‘88 has the pod dash just like yours. The fiberglass dash itself is black. Reach out to Peter Biever, he should be able to assist with the decals.

We ski with the motor trimmed all the way in and trimmed out a bit to a neutral position while cruising around. It will pick up a couple of mph that way. Just trim back out until you feel the hull drag ease and you’ll see a bump in rpm’s and mph.
              Very nice boat. Where/how do you get in and out of the water? And how do you get in and out of the drivers seat of these boats? Looks like the steering wheel is right on your lap and observers seat is up against drivers seat.

Comment

Thankfully my ‘88 has a sliding drivers seat. Do wish mine had a tilt helm though (hydraulic steering). I’m also 5’-6” and that helps too.

The outboards have two small teak platforms. Negotiating the rope guard can be a challenge for larger skiers.
                Attached Files
                Mike B

Comment

Originally posted by Bouyhead View Post
                  Thanks for the clarification. That is a sharp looking boat, and I really like the black dash. After seeing pics of your pod I definitely need to lose those Yamaha gauges on my boat.
                  Thanks. Since that photo was taken I’ve replaced the AirGuides with Faria Euro GPS speedometers and really like them.
                  Mike B

Comment

Thanks. Since that photo was taken I’ve replaced the AirGuides with Faria Euro GPS speedometers and really like them.
                    Our Airguides are going out on our '95. Those Faria Euro Series look as close as you can get to OEM style without going with the pricier NauticLogic conversion kit, was install easy?
                    Tim
                    2021 Lone Star MasterBash
                    Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
                    1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
                    1995 MC ProStar 205
                    ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

Comment

Install was quite easy. I did need to file a small notch in the instrument panel cutouts for the speedometers as the Faria’s have a tab to prevent them from rotating. Will likely replace the smaller original VDO gauges with the Faria Euros to complete the update.
                      Attached Files
                      Mike B

Comment

Install was quite easy. I did need to file a small notch in the instrument panel cutouts for the speedometers as the Faria’s have a tab to prevent them from rotating. Will likely replace the smaller original VDO gauges with the Faria Euros to complete the update.
                        Nice dash. I recently installed that same Faria GPS gauge. I have not tested it or verified its accuracy as of yet. How do you like it? Has it stayed accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by Pro351 View Post

Nice dash. I recently installed that same Faria GPS gauge. I have not tested it or verified its accuracy as of yet. How do you like it? Has it stayed accurate?
                          Thanks. Both Farias are spot on with the Speedometer app on my iPhone. I also like that they are 60 mph vs 50 mph from the original AirGuides (My PS200 can exceed 50 mph with my spare three blade prop). The single mph increments was also a selling point for me.
                          Mike B

Comment

Working...
                          X