Torque spec for prop coupler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque spec for prop coupler

Have been restoring 1983 Stars and Stripes. Took it out on the lake for a test drive. Developed a terrible vibration. The prop shaft coupler nut had loosened. I had neglected to tighten the small set screw on the coupler. I have prop shaft out of boat. Replacing strut bearings. Shaft and coupler in reasonable shape for their age. Does anyone know the torque value for the nut that holds the coupler to the prop shaft? Should I use thread locker? Appreciate the help.

Not familiar with the setup on an 83, so I'm asking. Is the end of the prop shaft that attaches to the coupling tapered? I just removed all of the underwater hardware on my 95 and my shaft is tapered on both ends. The shaft is held in the coupling with a nylock hex nut, and the shaft is keyed (no set screw). Basically the same setup on both ends. I never reuse a nylock and I have new ones ready to go when I install the shaft.
    “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

Originally posted by live2ski View Post
      Have been restoring 1983 Stars and Stripes. Took it out on the lake for a test drive. Developed a terrible vibration. The prop shaft coupler nut had loosened. I had neglected to tighten the small set screw on the coupler. I have prop shaft out of boat. Replacing strut bearings. Shaft and coupler in reasonable shape for their age. Does anyone know the torque value for the nut that holds the coupler to the prop shaft? Should I use thread locker? Appreciate the help.
      65 ft-lbs / 1-1/16" socket / no thread lock

93 190
      (safe click)

Comment

Working...
      X