X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 PS190
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramp-N-Clamp View Post
    We had the same year boat with the exact same problem for over 20 years. Our solution was to go FULL throttle in neutral for cold starts. We did this for 20 years and it started every time. Partial throttle and no throttle did not work. We never diagnosed the real problem because the FULL throttle trick worked so well.

Hope that helps.
    That is nearly 100% your engine coolant temperature sensor. 20 buck chart.

Leave a comment:

• Ramp-N-Clamp
    replied
    Edit, wrong year boat.
    Last edited by Ramp-N-Clamp; 06-02-2022, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• linzandscott
    replied
    Ok so I changed out the fuel filter and engine temp sensor. I still have it apart and noticed the fuel pressure regulator could/should be replaced since I have it apart. I searched multiple threads about this and found one answer, a 2002 dodge 2500 regulator will work. Has anyone else replaced their in tank fuel pressure regulator? If so, what would be the correct one?

Leave a comment:

• ahhudgins
    replied
    Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post

Dont replace it just check voltage on the purple wire.......
    This reminded me of the occasional "crank/no start" issue on my 95. During one of the rare times that it happed, I noticed that my fuel gauge and volt meter did not come on while the engine was cranking. Put the key back to RUN and the gauges came on. When I grabbed the key again the gauges would jump around. That was an easy (lucky) way to check the purple wire. Bad ignition switch.

Leave a comment:

• 88 PS190
    replied
    Originally posted by linzandscott View Post
    Appreciate all the replies. I’ll start going through all electrical parts cleaning up connections and putting dielectric grease on things and I am going to replace kill switch (cheapest replacement part). I’ll post back what the results are.
    Dont replace it just check voltage on the purple wire.

I have a spare kill switch I would never replace it with out checking if working.

on your boat key on not cranking fuel pump should go bzzzzt and prime. If you pull the kill switch it should not go bzzzzt.

if when the kill switch is on it goes bzzzt you do not need to replace your kill switch.

Leave a comment:

• linzandscott
    replied
    Appreciate all the replies. I’ll start going through all electrical parts cleaning up connections and putting dielectric grease on things and I am going to replace kill switch (cheapest replacement part). I’ll post back what the results are.

Leave a comment:

• robadele
    replied
    Like the others have said, you need to figure out whether you are having a fuel issue or a spark issue when it won't start. It is usually easier to check for a fuel problem. After cranking the engine (when it won't start) pull a spark plug. If the plug is wet with fuel, you know you are getting fuel and the problem is spark. If the plug is dry, the answer is not so conclusive. You could have either a fuel pump pressure issue, or a timing control issue that is not telling the fuel injector to spray fuel.

Common electrical issues that could cause this are the lanyard switch and the fuel pump electrical connector.

Leave a comment:

• ifly3
    replied
    ignition control module either works or it doesnt

Leave a comment:

• ifly3
    replied
    Mine was a phantom for a year until I took the distributor apart,it had two tiny cracks in it,like ps190 I have every spare part on hand.

Leave a comment:

• 88 PS190
    replied
    Originally posted by linzandscott View Post
    I’m almost leaning towards the ignition control module. I’m going to take it apart and clean all the contacts and see what happens. Has anyone had to replace theirs before?
    Ya for sure, its literally pop the cap off, undo 2 screws, pop the wires off, clean the heat sink goo, and replace.

That said... throwing parts at problems like this is going to cost you money and time you need to sort of work through things incrementally by being critical. IF you don't have fuel what can cause that problem, IF you don't have spark what can cause that problem. What checks can you do for each of those parts before buying it and putting it on?

Hell I have a spare fuel pump, rotor, cap, set of injectors, plugs, wires, coil, pick up coil, fuel water separator. I even have a kill switch, ignition switch, starter, and a spare pylon.

But I have all of those because I've been running these boats for years.

Leave a comment:

• linzandscott
    replied
    I’m almost leaning towards the ignition control module. I’m going to take it apart and clean all the contacts and see what happens. Has anyone had to replace theirs before?

Leave a comment:

• 88 PS190
    replied
    Beauty of a TBI boat is that you can pull the spark arrestor and crank it and just watch to see if its squirting fuel that's pretty hard to do on the MPI boats.

So if its squirting fuel you have a spark issue if its not you have a fuel issue. It is possible to have both.

Neither should have a condition where they don't want to crank, both can not want to fire.

Leave a comment:

• ahhudgins
    replied
    Intermittent problems are hard to diagnose when it only shows up once in a while. It needs fuel and spark to run, so the next time it happens remove the flame arrestor and see if the injectors are spraying gas when it's cranking. My 95 doesn't have a port to check the fuel pressure. You can either use a timing light or a spark tester to check for spark, you just have to keep them in the boat at all times and wait for it to happen again.

Leave a comment:

• ifly3
    replied
    I had a similar problem in my 94 prostar,it turned out the relucter wheel in the distributer was cracked,put in a new distributer and never had another problem.

Leave a comment:

• linzandscott
    replied
    When I turn the key the starter turns the motor over just as it should. I can hear the fuel pump prime it just will not fire. One time it sat there for 30 mins then started up, one time I trailered it back home (5 miles) and it fired right up. Yesterday like I said above, pulled out of water and it cranked. We went to Smith mountain lake last year used it all day for 3 days. One morning it would start but 30 mins later I turned the key and fired up. It’s like there’s no rhyme or reason to the madness.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X