No announcement yet.

A reminder that surfing can still be dangerous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter was driving while I was surfing and abruptly stopped the boat, the wave pushed me and the board hard into the back of the boat. I managed to miss the ski pole as I bounced off the rear deck and into the boat.

Comment

Once surfing, I still had the rope in my hands and as I lost the wave held on to body surf, big mistake board edge and my forehead met, got some stitches and could have been worst … totally self inflicted but now more than ever I am more aware of boards during falls …
      Ski in snow, ski in water, and always have fun!

2008 Prostar 214 MCX
      1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
      Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
      "Do you have Flake on that boat?"

Comment

Originally posted by mcsd1992 View Post
        it's funny because last summer i gashed my nose open with an over the front ski fall in the course and have definitely put my knees through a lot with wakeboarding but have never been hurt surfing (not yet at least..praying i dont jinx my self!) Right before she went we were telling her how low impact of a sport it was too! we definitely had to take that one back lol.

Huckelfin yes i have been looking into getting a handle guard for skiing. masterline makes a few of them as of recently which i will most likely be getting. my biggest fear is exactly that: my head going through.
        I mean to be honest man, on a scale looking at sports only, it is a VERY low impact activity even though its possible to get hit with the surf board. I'm trying to think of something lower. Bowling maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Huckelfin View Post

I mean to be honest man, on a scale looking at sports only, it is a VERY low impact activity even though its possible to get hit with the surf board. I'm trying to think of something lower. Bowling maybe?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	2705325
          “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

Another reminder.
            93 190
            (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

People don't realize the reason you are not allowed to ride on the transom or swindeck while underway is because of carbon monoxide not because of the prop.

We use a carbon monoxide detector when we surf, it sits on the rear seat. We have never had it go off while surfing, but it has gone off when stopping to pick up a downed surfer.

Comment

I've held off responding to this as it's very apparent there have been people that have experienced injuries and I don't want to make light of that. With that statement made I think we all have to realize all activities have risk. Heck, the BIL tripped on an expansion strip in his garage carrying in groceries a couple months back and we had to call EMS. Knocked out a tooth and had a concussion from the fall.

In the grand scheme of things surfing is as low risk and low impact for a water sport as you can get. Can and will some people manage to get injured doing so? Sure, but after barefooting for 4 years, slaloming for 30+ and wakeboarding for 20 I'll tell of those water sports listed surfing is going to be your best chance of actually doing something and not getting hurt.

Unless you plan on sitting in the boat all summer (and there's nothing wrong with that) stuff can and will happen. Best you can do is take at least some of the very good advise being mentioned in this thread to try and eliminate the stupid stuff.

At the end of the day I'll continue to wear my outlaw vest and you won't see me wearing a helmet when I'm out surfing either. Then again I guess I like living on the edge by today's standards.....

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                  I've held off responding to this as it's very apparent there have been people that have experienced injuries and I don't want to make light of that. With that statement made I think we all have to realize all activities have risk. Heck, the BIL tripped on an expansion strip in his garage carrying in groceries a couple months back and we had to call EMS. Knocked out a tooth and had a concussion from the fall.

In the grand scheme of things surfing is as low risk and low impact for a water sport as you can get. Can and will some people manage to get injured doing so? Sure, but after barefooting for 4 years, slaloming for 30+ and wakeboarding for 20 I'll tell of those water sports listed surfing is going to be your best chance of actually doing something and not getting hurt.

Unless you plan on sitting in the boat all summer (and there's nothing wrong with that) stuff can and will happen. Best you can do is take at least some of the very good advise being mentioned in this thread to try and eliminate the stupid stuff.

At the end of the day I'll continue to wear my outlaw vest and you won't see me wearing a helmet when I'm out surfing either. Then again I guess I like living on the edge by today's standards.....
                  Lol, I don't think anyone's saying "omg surfing is so dangerous" or that you're more likely to get injured than in wakeboarding, slaloming or footin' they're just pointing out that there's parts of it to watch out for that are different when compared to other tow sports. Everyone here knows risks exist on the water...
                  Tim
                  2021 Lone Star MasterBash
                  Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
                  1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
                  1995 MC ProStar 205
                  ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

Comment

Originally posted by tmothy07 View Post

Lol, I don't think anyone's saying "omg surfing is so dangerous" or that you're more likely to get injured than in wakeboarding, slaloming or footin' they're just pointing out that there's parts of it to watch out for that are different when compared to other tow sports. Everyone here knows risks exist on the water...
                    Do they??? LOL..... IDK, look at some of these posts. I hope so but sometimes you see some crazy stuff that makes wonder if you should be laughing or crying. Weird times we're living in. Let's go with laughing.

Oh, also noticed that the emojis are not showing up, at least not with my browser. Didn't see the "eyes rolling" on yours until I quoted you.

Comment

We have 3 rules. 1- Always wear a life jacket. No jacket. No ride. 2. No coiling the rope in your hands. 3. Cover your head when you fall. Boards are unpredictable.

Comment

I started of with a rope for wakesurfing that was given to me. it had a handle. That summer, a friend of mine fell while still holdind the rope and his hand when through the triangle. Luckily, I stopped quickly and a serious injury was prevented. I switched to a thick braided rope with a "T" handle on the end. Not as easy to hold, but safer. Several seasons took its toll on the big ol rope and now I am in possession of a handled rope again. This thread confirms my big braided rope was the right choice and will be buying another soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X