New boat buy vs. used...X22 new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boat buy vs. used...X22 new

Hopefully this ramble gets some favorable input. I am trying to think through a difficult decision relative to prices and features and values etc. on the new and used MC and competitors...I have only owned 3 boats...a Prostar 190 back in the day, an X30 for a few years then in 2008 I bought a 2006 XStar with 50 hours it on it. I keep it on a lift at my dock and have cared for it pretty well. It still looks great, runs great, original interior and still nice. Only have 400 hours on it....we went through some years for various reasons that did not allow us a lot of lake time. None-the-less we love our MC experience even though we were a bunch of average wake boarders using a great boat.

I have the desire for a newer boat, newer tech etc. I have few things that need fixing on my XStar...perfect pass display not working, sender units/pumps for ballast tanks not working correctly...but nothing that I can't fix myself etc. My guess is that it's worth ~$50K in this market. I do not need an XStar but love the boat. I looked at new X22's and am sure I would love it...supposed to test drive one next week...just crazy prices.

Curious what 2022 X22's are being quoted for if anyone knows...MC MSRP with the options on the boat I am looking at is $255K...they are willing to negotiate, just wondering what other dealers in different areas are doing on price if anyone knows.

Also looking at used boats including X22's, XT22 and XStar...have a buddy that wants me to look at Malibu 22 MXZ, but I don't have any experience with MXZ...lot lower cost point than same year MC options that I have seen...

Any inputs and opinions very welcome. Thx!

2006 XStar
    Sold - 2001 X30
    Sold - 1994 Prostar 190

so does the current boat do what you want? what does it not do? I'm not saying you shouldn't, but what tech are you looking at that is worth 200k? i don't know of any.. that is crazy money IMO... For the money I would fix the current boat even update the whole thing to what you want... and save yourself about 180k... and have basically a new boat... what does your current boat not do that an x22 would ??? hopefully it comes with some "extras"

Comment

Hi Curver, thanks for your post.

I liked several aspects of the new boats...some are:
      - higher output engine...6.2L
      - nicer dash/controls for set up / sw to implement controls / dual screen / upgrade on stereo
      - seadek flooring, rear lounger seating, flip center seat for watching action, nicer tower that could easily lower
      - hull design and surf system...non existent in my 2006
      - general case of boat fever...haven't upgraded in ~15 years

But your point is valid that it is crazy money...you also nailed the final price...down from MSRP to the mid 190K range...

We can wakeboard with my boat obviously...I would like to take my older bones out there on a surf board but it is pretty hard to get a wave on that boat without some significant work.

I guess the main thing it won't do very well is surf...but it also has 16 year old technology and conveniences that have evolved that make the experience more fun.

Hence this post. Looking for some sanity or a push over the ledge lol...maybe the answer is to go start doing as many upgrades as I can for a whole lot less money and have fun with it...IDK.
      2006 XStar
      Sold - 2001 X30
      Sold - 1994 Prostar 190

Comment

Hey there!

Not sure if it helps much but overall for our X22 I was given an MSRP of $290k, got a 25% discount and other things such as shipping included as it is travelling across the Atlantic.

The MSRP jumped from around $260k I believe a month or so ago when there was a price increase? I was also going to have to pay a 25% Import fee (I love my country), which my dealer would contribute 5% towards however, thankfully, it got removed this year but, I still have to pay 20% VAT.

With all of this added, I think it's somewhere right around the $250k mark.

Comment

Wow Marcus! Thanks for the input...very expensive proposition having a new MC in 2022...and 2023 is already claiming a 13% cost increase for the dealers...big investment any way you look at it.

Hope you enjoy that new boat! Congrats!!
          2006 XStar
          Sold - 2001 X30
          Sold - 1994 Prostar 190

Comment

Originally posted by BrushyCreekXS View Post
            Wow Marcus! Thanks for the input...very expensive proposition having a new MC in 2022...and 2023 is already claiming a 13% cost increase for the dealers...big investment any way you look at it.

Hope you enjoy that new boat! Congrats!!
            No kidding! Prices are insane but it also played to our side, the dealer gave me a good trade-in price. It will be our first ever new boat... and last.

With it being our first new boat I was unsure of how to approach the negotiation stage, so I took the wife!

Without the VAT (I am not sure if you have something similar or not) It came to $201k, there are deals to be done and they seem to have a fair amount of wiggle room.

Best of luck,

Comment

I bought a one year used X22 2019 for a lot less in August of 2020. It was the best decision we ever made! It has every option possible for a 2019. It is the most out standing surf boat we can imagine. Everyone that gets on it and rides behind it is in awww.

Comment

@Tookey thx! We are thinking along those lines as well. Glad to hear you love the X22. Seems like a good fit for us too.
                2006 XStar
                Sold - 2001 X30
                Sold - 1994 Prostar 190

Comment

Originally posted by BrushyCreekXS View Post
                  Hi Curver, thanks for your post.

I liked several aspects of the new boats...some are:
                  - higher output engine...6.2L
                  - nicer dash/controls for set up / sw to implement controls / dual screen / upgrade on stereo
                  - seadek flooring, rear lounger seating, flip center seat for watching action, nicer tower that could easily lower
                  - hull design and surf system...non existent in my 2006
                  - general case of boat fever...haven't upgraded in ~15 years

But your point is valid that it is crazy money...you also nailed the final price...down from MSRP to the mid 190K range...

We can wakeboard with my boat obviously...I would like to take my older bones out there on a surf board but it is pretty hard to get a wave on that boat without some significant work.

I guess the main thing it won't do very well is surf...but it also has 16 year old technology and conveniences that have evolved that make the experience more fun.

Hence this post. Looking for some sanity or a push over the ledge lol...maybe the answer is to go start doing as many upgrades as I can for a whole lot less money and have fun with it...IDK.
                  Hey it's your money and everyone wants to spend it.. LOL!!!! I'm sure you'll make the right decision... I think you are about to see the market soften significantly... so patience may be your best friend.. Good luck with your decision....

Comment

Originally posted by curver900 View Post

Hey it's your money and everyone wants to spend it.. LOL!!!! I'm sure you'll make the right decision... I think you are about to see the market soften significantly... so patience may be your best friend.. Good luck with your decision....
                    Yep. It is definitely easier to spend it than to make it. I also am wondering if there will be a pull back/softening...I told the dealer that I was going to wait a little while and see what happens...Same dealer also has a 2021 X22 that he bought from a dealer that went out of business. He is willing to discount it even further...but still pretty expensive and I did not like the color combination. If I could find a used low hour version I might be better served...problem is that those prices can be pretty escalated in this market too. I think being patient is the route to take whether we end up with a 2022 model or not. What I have is still great...maybe I should go to some effort to create a better surf wake...a little scared to modify it with after market surf plates though.

2006 XStar
                    Sold - 2001 X30
                    Sold - 1994 Prostar 190

Comment

BrushyCreekXS , I have a 21 Prostar and an X2 for surfing, but spend most of my time surfing behind my buddies X22. If you can afford it and like the X22, you will not be disappointed. With that said, if you decide to wait and want to upgrade your current boat, I would call the guys at wakemakers and discuss what would work best with your boat. Dont be afraid to add surf tabs, although I'm not sure you will get back the investment when you do decide to upgrade the boat.
                      Last edited by Ironhorse; 06-01-2022, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't sleep on a 18-20 model year xStar either. Great boats and lots of value in them right now. Just my take as someone who absolutely loves our 18 model year star. Decent number to be found with 100-200 hours and you still get warranty from them as they are 1 owner boats. Something to think about and consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhorse View Post
                          BrushyCreekXS , I have a 21 Prostar and an X2 for surfing, but spend most of my time surfing behind my buddies X22. If you can afford it and like the X22, you will not be disappointed. With that said, if you decide to wait and want to upgrade your current boat, I would call the guys at wakemakers and discuss what would work best with your boat. Dont be afraid to add surf tabs, although I'm not sure you will get back the investment when you do decide to upgrade the bpat.
                          This is what I would do !! Make a friend who owns one pay for gas and an oil change...

Comment

Originally posted by curver900 View Post

This is what I would do !! Make a friend who owns one pay for gas and an oil change...
                            hahaha.... good call. I supply the morning ski and he usually supplies the afternoon surf. Its a win win.

Comment

Not to enrage the masses, but jeepers the new X22's look sharp!

https://www.actionwater.com/inv/2022...nton-MI-PGGZ5/
                              Last edited by jackpine; 06-01-2022, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X