Log Wins Every Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log Wins Every Time

Not a great start to last weekend - My Kids in town for a Perfect weather forecast weekend (No rain, Low 80's Highs, mid 60's lows, nothing but Sunshine and Clear Blur Sky) They arrive around noon Friday, eat some lunch, head to the boat just for a cruise (maiden for the boat this year) Do a quick shake down, everything running good. First thing that happens, set the cruise control, hmmm no throttle response at all. Turn off cruise, throttles up just fine. Reboot the system, set cruise again, throttles up to set speed, holds for about 2 mins then just backs off to nothing. OK, not a big deal, I can drive her old school - likely a bad PP puck, easy replacement.

Having a nice cruise, head up to just beside Flat Hollow on Norris Lake - Those familiar with Norris, know just where I was, probably 20 mins from my dock. Anything past here is notorious for lots of debris in the Spring. I'm about to make my turn around and Bammmmm - Hit a huge freaking tree. back her down to idle, try to throttle up to check, sure enough, huge vibration, which at this point, no big deal, likely just the prop. (I always have a spare at the dock, lift to change it out) Check the bilge, no water, so we are good to limp now the 2 hours back to the dock, no big deal, cooler full, good tunes, great company!

Get her on the lift, sure enough - Bent Strut, can't turn the prop by hand & likely a bent shaft. Prop has splits in it, so likely not repairable and luckily no Gel damage, rudder in good shape. Bad news is, no boat for the rest of the weekend - Sorry kids, let the deck drinking games begin - lol (My kids are adults)

With Ski Safe, apparently I have disappearing deductible, so since I have never had a claim no deductible - awesome, since right now estimate is $4,000 - Other than having to tow her back to Northern, KY from TN for repairs, overall some happy news. Special shout out to Current Water Sports, feel they can turn it in about 2 weeks!!! Awesome Dealer!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9022 2.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	2706817 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9021 2.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	2706818

Sorry to hear what happen but am happy for you that your getting it taken care of so quick. Good luck with the repair.

Comment

If they say your prop isn't repairable, try giving this guy a call and ask if he can repair a split one - https://www.lindenpropeller.com/. I hit a log several years ago and my prop was bent pretty bad (not split though). OJ said they couldn't repair it. Linden is local to me. I dropped it off with him. He wasn't sure he could get it, but he did. He also makes his own prop presses and sells them around the world. He's good and knows what he's doing. Insurance bought me a new prop, so now I use the old one as a backup.

Make sure you check your attitude plate too. They initially missed that mine was damaged when they did my initial write up at the dealership. My rudder was fine, but somehow my attitude plate got taken out.

Also, if you have a disappearing deductible, once it has disappeared, raise your deductible amount to the highest limit. You'll save a ton on the premium. I did that with my progressive policy and cut my cost by a third.

Comment

Sorry for the accident, but good news on quick repairs. And good to hear positive results so far from Ski Safe. I just paid my policy premiun this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by bcd View Post
          If they say your prop isn't repairable, try giving this guy a call and ask if he can repair a split one - https://www.lindenpropeller.com/. I hit a log several years ago and my prop was bent pretty bad (not split though). OJ said they couldn't repair it. Linden is local to me. I dropped it off with him. He wasn't sure he could get it, but he did. He also makes his own prop presses and sells them around the world. He's good and knows what he's doing. Insurance bought me a new prop, so now I use the old one as a backup.

Make sure you check your attitude plate too. They initially missed that mine was damaged when they did my initial write up at the dealership. My rudder was fine, but somehow my attitude plate got taken out.

Also, if you have a disappearing deductible, once it has disappeared, raise your deductible amount to the highest limit. You'll save a ton on the premium. I did that with my progressive policy and cut my cost by a third.
          Yup - Center Tab actuator is toast, added that to the claim - Tab itself is fine, but grinds up & down and does not time out. Tab was at 30% per my usual cruise setting when we hit. Prop repair is in the claim for now, we will see!

Comment

Originally posted by d2jp View Post
            Sorry for the accident, but good news on quick repairs. And good to hear positive results so far from Ski Safe. I just paid my policy premiun this morning.
            Painless so far - One phone call, they sent me an email link within a couple hours to upload signed incident report, pics & estimate. Once uploaded, email response docs where received & being reviewed. Dealer (Current Water Sports) was very familiar with the claim process and everything they would require.

Comment

That sucks Matt. Hope they get you squared away ASAP. We are coming down for a week starting this Friday, hope you cleared the rest of the logs from the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS View Post
                That sucks Matt. Hope they get you squared away ASAP. We are coming down for a week starting this Friday, hope you cleared the rest of the logs from the lake.
                Brian - I have only been past Springs up to Flat Hollow, where I hit the log. I saw some little stuff up past the Peninsula and around the Island. I never got to go the other way towards Sugar Hollow, Shanghi or up to Big Creek, so not sure how much debris is out that way! Not sure where you are staying, but Big Creek typically has less debris!

Comment

Update - Uploaded all the Docs this am - Just received an email at noon - Check in the Mail! Impressive Ski Safe, very impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by MattsCraft View Post
                    Update - Uploaded all the Docs this am - Just received an email at noon - Check in the Mail! Impressive Ski Safe, very impressive!
                    Thanks for the feedback on the claims process with skisafe and best of luck on the repairs and getting back on the water ASAP. Good news for us in the South, we still have a lot of great weather ahead of us.

Comment

Special shout out to Current Water Sports, feel they can turn it in about 2 weeks!!! Awesome Dealer!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9022 2.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	2706817 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9021 2.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	2706818
                      Can't go wrong with Current, they've done that same job on a previous boat of mine, Excellent workmanship and they do everything they can to get you back on the water asap. Always have time for my questions on the phone.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident. Have to give another shout out to Ski Safe. Their prices were much lower than the companies others have mentioned. Web site is very user friendly and I was able to get a higher coverage amount due to the amount of $ I recently spent for a new engine and transmission. BTW, I have never made a claim.

Comment

Brian - I have only been past Springs up to Flat Hollow, where I hit the log. I saw some little stuff up past the Peninsula and around the Island. I never got to go the other way towards Sugar Hollow, Shanghi or up to Big Creek, so not sure how much debris is out that way! Not sure where you are staying, but Big Creek typically has less debris!
                          We are staying in Big Creek, weather is looking pretty good, hopeful that there won't be much debris.

Comment

sorry Matt ... its better now ... come on back

Comment

Brian ... how the boat looking after all the Tony love?

Comment

Working...
                              X