Why are replacement touchscreens so expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are replacement touchscreens so expensive

I was looking at a 2012 Mastercraft that had one of the first generation touch screens. Mastercraft wants 10K for it now. Are you freakn kidding me!! For those of you buying new boats with 2 digital screens I can only imagine it will be a 20-30k repair in ten years. Is this really a justifiable price or price gouging at its finest? Anyone know what this screen was selling for pre-covid?

https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/to...343cd0ef&_ss=r

MC should really offer to refurbish defective screens.

Comment

Was looking for my post on this subject a couple years back but couldn't find it. I jokingly commented something to the effect that these screens would be unobtainable or $10K if you could find one. I know when I bought this last boat I have I specifically went out of my way to find a boat without one as I typically buy used, don't change out boats like a lot of guys here and didn't want to deal with something like this 5 or 6 years later.

There was a guy on here a year or so ago that was repairing these and was able to find replacements from a company call Murphy. I would also agree that there should be someone fixing these at these prices. Maybe I need to take some classes of something..... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
        Was looking for my post on this subject a couple years back but couldn't find it. I jokingly commented something to the effect that these screens would be unobtainable or $10K if you could find one. I know when I bought this last boat I have I specifically went out of my way to find a boat without one as I typically buy used, don't change out boats like a lot of guys here and didn't want to deal with something like this 5 or 6 years later.

There was a guy on here a year or so ago that was repairing these and was able to find replacements from a company call Murphy. I would also agree that there should be someone fixing these at these prices. Maybe I need to take some classes of something..... :-)
        Problem is sourcing the parts, all manufacturers in the supply chain won't sell custom parts to third party.

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
          I was looking at a 2012 Mastercraft that had one of the first generation touch screens. Mastercraft wants 10K for it now. Are you freakn kidding me!! For those of you buying new boats with 2 digital screens I can only imagine it will be a 20-30k repair in ten years. Is this really a justifiable price or price gouging at its finest? Anyone know what this screen was selling for pre-covid?

https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/to...343cd0ef&_ss=r
          That particular screen is so expensive because it was only used on one year -- 2012. I wouldn't buy a 2012 because they are essentially a single year one-off boat.
          -----------------------------------
          Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
          Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
          Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Originally posted by jpwhit View Post

That particular screen is so expensive because it was only used on one year -- 2012. I wouldn't buy a 2012 because they are essentially a single year one-off boat.

It’s made by medallion. Master craft has sourced parts from them for decades now. so Mastercraft has basically abandoned 2012 boat owners. This screen below is from a 2008 boat. I helped a buddy source this part back in 2017 for under 600 bucks. Now it’s 5k. Absolutely ridiculous. This is a 200 dollar part at most. https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/ga...75b37d74&_ss=r

Comment

my 2013 X10 screen just bit the dust ... at Current WS now having a new screen installed and I pick it up tomorrow

yeah ... not happy

Comment

well … just spent a bunch of money for the new screen … hauled the boat 4 hours back to the lake and dropped it in at our neighborhood ramp …. No start … screen looks beautiful but I cannot get it to turn over …. So happy right now …

Comment

analog ftw
                  ¡Viva 205V!
                  2003 X2 MCX

Comment

I needed to read this thread. My 08 with no screens is fine. I’ve just been looking to get newer…

Comment

Why expensive? In short, because they can be. It’s not supply chain or anything else. For instance, it costs about $200 to build an iPhone, but they sell some for $1,500. GM and Ford both sell “Saftey packages” that they can add to cars/trucks for about $600 in parts, they charge the customers a package price of $8,000 or up to $12,000. I have a fiend who owns a car dealership and he tells me that 60% of his profit comes from repairs of vehicles, not from car sales. Gotta imagine it is similar for boat dealers. Electronics are remarkably inexpensive to produce, as a whole, but when a company makes money on them, they get marked up significantly. The systems in these boats are pretty simple by today’s standards. I agree, MC ought to get these replacement parts out for something reasonable but I’ve never seen anything reasonably priced from them to date, so why would we expect that now? Don’t get me wrong, if they can get it, more power to them but in the end, it’s about profit. I like MC but $10k for a tiny electronic iPad style screen is outright offensive. Just my 2 cents

Comment

Luxury tax. You ever price out maintenance on a 10 year old exotic car? It’s no different than this.
                        Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                        Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                        2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                        For Sale:
                        2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Working...
                        X