2021 6.2 GDI Overheat, shavings, cracked hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 6.2 GDI Overheat, shavings, cracked hose

hello all...in December we bought a 2021 X24 with 24 hrs. about 2 weeks ago we got in on the water for the first time. almost immediately we got an "engine coolant exceeded 205 deg F alarm" temp got to 210. took it to dealer and they found shavings in the coolant line and against the heat exchanger. they flushed it out and we went back on water. everything went great. filled ballast, tinkered with the wave settings and practiced driving, no surfing. we also turned the heater on( couple posts mentioned heater uses coolant?). then, we emptied all ballast, took off cruise, got on plane and looked to see how fast she could go while also keeping in mind the break in rules. at 33 mph the boat did not shut down but seemed to limit and when i pushed the throttle down further nothing happened. then we noticed a bad smell...buring rubber, melting plastic? i lifted the hood and "smoke" was coming up from engine. could have been stream but it smelled terrible. also, when boat stopped accelerating both the aft and midship bilge lights/pumps came on. we may have even heard a backfire? we idled to the dock, about a half mile and engine sounded bad. can't describe exactly but it wasn't happy. anyway...i trust the guys at the local dealership but wanted thoughts from others. it's a short season around here and fingers crossed we get to use this thing. the attached photo is of a 3-4" hose on the port side. i am assuming the "core" of the hose is split as well but i cannot confirm. the paint on the "exhaust" (I'm not 100% sure it's the exhaust - not a mechanic and not familiar with these engines) looks discolored. fingers crossed the cracked hose is the problem. I am worried about long term damage. warranty was transferred after inspection. thanks
    Attached Files

more info...if it works, thanks
    Attached Files

Comment

I am certainly no mechanic, but it sounds like a problem with the heat exchager. That discoloration on the exhaust manifold is likely a result of inproper cooling, which means water is not quite getting to them. The hot water in the bilge lines up with that theory. It's kind of strange the water is obviously hot (meaning it has passed through the heat exchanger), yet the engine is still overheating (meaning the water that had passed through was not able to cool the coolant). I might be totally wrong here, but that's the best I could come up with. Keep us posted.
      -Tolman
      '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
      '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

Sounds like something is cracked, split, loose, or broke on the raw water side of the system. It sounds like it is going through the heat exchanger then dumping out prior to entering the exhaust. Because you are losing raw water, the engine is partially cooling and the exhaust is starving for cooling water.
        05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
        15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

i think you nailed it Diesel. talked to dealer yesterday. after first coolant/shaving incident the mechanic left a hose too loose or not connected. waiting on parts. thanks

Comment

On a boat this new, I would want the cats replaced if they overheated enough to discolor. Otherwise, they will likely fail later on. Probably after the warranty runs out and they are quite expensive.
            -----------------------------------
            Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
            Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
            Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

i appreciate that thought jpwhi. however...what are cats? thanks

Comment

Catalytic converters. The part you have circled in yellow.
                -----------------------------------
                Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
                Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
                Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

It is the part of the exhaust directly above / behind the split hose you circled in your picture. The oxygen sensor is the wire plugged into that part of the exhaust in your picture.

Comment

perfect, thanks to all for the info

Comment

Working...
                    X