Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X series engine mount, main nut position ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X series engine mount, main nut position ??

Can someone please check their rear mounts and tell me against what is the big nut tightened ?, On the starboard side the nut sits up against the square metal bar above it, but on the port side is sits against the big washer/rubber mount below it , should be the same I think??. These rubber mounts are likely found on other model boats, so please let me know if you have them and how they are set, (see picture) I have 08 X1

Both nuts should be in the position shown in your picture. They should be very tight, preventing engine vibration from turning the threaded shaft which would result in misalignment of your prop shaft.

—Sky
    ------------------------------------------------
    2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
    2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

^ ^ ^ What he said....

93 190
      (safe click)
      John 14:6
      (safe click)

Comment

There is probable a torque spec for how tight they should be, but all my torque wrenches are socket wrenches. I don’t have anything that works as an open ended wrench, so on mine I put a big ole wrench on there and pull hard. I’ve never had one come loose, but someone here probably has a much more technical way to accurately lock those nuts into place.

—Sky
        ------------------------------------------------
        2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
        2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

thank you, I guess on one side someone tightened the nut the wrong way and is now sitting against the metal washer below , I will loosen and set it the right way

Comment

If that jam nut wasn't tightened up against the mount stud correctly, I would highly recommend that you have a prop shaft alignment done.

Comment

It is like in this pic ,but I don’t think it moved , nothing moves very freely there , I can’t even unscrew the nut now

Comment

I have seen those trunions and studs seize up to the point one would think it was tack welded in place.

If that nut moves, all the better to use it as a locker. If not, run with it like it is. Ideally, you can get it into a better position. The engine will not move up and down on the threaded stud without concerted effort and a wrench. I think you have discovered that by now. As long as you have a smooth ride, move on and enjoy the boating season.

US $0.02

93 190
                (safe click)
                John 14:6
                (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                X