2006 XStar Ballast Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 XStar Ballast Pumps

Just a rant I guess but I wonder the reason why 2 of 3 of my ballast pumps are mounted with impeller plate facing down and one pump mounted with impeller plate pointing up/skyward.

The two facing down are hard to change and the one facing up looks upside down but easy to change.

I saw a pic of another 2006 Star where he had 2 of 3 facing up. So is it random per the tech doing the build that day?

weird!

By the way, those pumps work a lot better when there are still fins left on the impeller lol.
    2006 XStar
    Sold - 2001 X30
    Sold - 1994 Prostar 190

Part of the reason those are mounted ‘motor up’ is to prevent a leak in the pump from draining into the motor. Some people here have built platforms and mounted the motors horizontally, so that a leak won’t drain onto/through the motor, and the impellers are easy to replace.

—Sky
    ------------------------------------------------
    2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
    2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

Originally posted by skydyvyr View Post
      Part of the reason those are mounted ‘motor up’ is to prevent a leak in the pump from draining into the motor. Some people here have built platforms and mounted the motors horizontally, so that a leak won’t drain onto/through the motor, and the impellers are easy to replace.

—Sky
      Yeah, some sort of platform would be a good idea. It also bothers me that you have to take the 4 screws out of the bracket, that are screwed into the transom, to flip the pump over to access the plate. Not sure how many times those screws can go in and out before they strip that hole.
      2006 XStar
      Sold - 2001 X30
      Sold - 1994 Prostar 190

Comment

The pump manufacturer's strongly recommend that you mount the pumps with the motor up and the impeller down. That way when the seals start leaking the pump isn't damaged and can easily be rebuilt with a new seal kit. Most of the boat makers, ignore this advice and mount them the other way around so it's easy to service the impellers. A lot of boats end up with a mix of mounting because people turn them around to be mounted as the pump maker's suggest. Especially when they are replacing a pump that has failed because water has gotten into the motor.

My advice, decide whether you prefer easier impeller maintenance or longer pump life and remount them as appropriate. What I do personally, is mount them for easier maintenance but I keep a couple of spare pumps on hand to be able to replace them quickly if they fail. I upgraded all my pumps for faster fill times, so they are all fairly new. I'm planning to replace all the motor seals pro-actively in a few years to keep from have motor failures.
        -----------------------------------
        Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
        Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
        Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

This is what I was talking about:
          https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/for...t-pump-shelves

I might do this myself one day.

—Sky
          ------------------------------------------------
          2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
          2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

My experience is even mounted level, water will get into the motor when the seals go. You need the pump body lower than the motor to eliminate the water intrusions issue with leaking seals.

Which is fine if your goal is to only make impeller replacement easy. 2 of my pumps are mounted level from the factory. And the impellers are easy to change, but when the seals leaked, water got into the motor.
            -----------------------------------
            Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
            Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
            Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Makes sense! Thx.

I think with all the gelcoat work I’m doing right now I will just leave the pump that is upside down alone, other than replacing the impeller. My arms are about to fall off….

I have wet sanded 70% of the boat with at least 4 different grits and most of that with 5 grit levels. Removing all the decals leaves a lot of work. Then 2 cutting steps a polish and a sealant has about wiped me out. Still have a long way to go.

Here is a cool pic of port side stern. Looks deceiving.
              Attached Files
              2006 XStar
              Sold - 2001 X30
              Sold - 1994 Prostar 190

Comment

If you replace the seal in the pump head on a regular basis, you can mount them with the motor down. I replace my seals every other year. After 8 years, I have yet to have a pump leak. I take my impellers out every winter, so I prefer the easy access with the motor down and pump head on top.
                We defy the mafia!

Comment

Working...
                X