Neighbor putting their new dock SUPER close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbor putting their new dock SUPER close

Hey, looking at the permit for brand new neighbor's dock and need any data on how much space is needed to safely dock any of the MC boats. Rule for Idaho is 10' setback from littoral line, but if both property docks are both 10' back (20' total distance between docks) can the boats safely dock?? Manual does not list anywhere. Anyone able to help with this one? Thanks

Don't understand what most of that jargon means, but I'll take a stab. I'm assuming driving up alongside the dock with the boats on the side nearest to each other.

Maximum trailerable width without requiring wide load permits is 8.5 feet or 102". That's why you see wakeboats generally max out at 102" in width. 8.5' + 0.5' for fenders means effective width is at least 9'. 2 boats would thus have less than 2' of separation between them when docking with 20' between docks. 2' is enough room to squeeze in, but be sure to have some hands ready to push off on the other boat, especially on a windy day. This does not account for any wakeboard/surf racks sticking out or any boards on them.

Comment

How about you take the old fashioned track before you do a deep dive into codes, covenants, regulations and all that other mumbo jumbo that involves math? Contact them and talk it over before it gets dropped in. Hidey ho neighbor! I'm levine5 and want to make sure we aren't banging into each other's toys all summer long.... Call me crazy, but a face to face conversation is the best starting spot between neighbors.
      Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

The suggestion on just voicing your concerns to the neighbor is the right way to go. If you believe they are violating any HOA or building regulations, you should quietly discuss those with a building official and not communicate these unless you get confirmation. Most likely their positioning of the dock is within building regulations. Asking them if they would kindly shift another 5 feet could be well received. Perhaps they plan to dock on the opposite side and there is no issue?

If you are just asking if it can be done with this space, look at most marinas that have side by side slips. Total width is usually in the neighborhood of 20-25 feet for 2 spots. In the marina, there is often a break wall limiting the amount of waves / wind.

Comment

Originally posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
          How about you take the old fashioned track before you do a deep dive into codes, covenants, regulations and all that other mumbo jumbo that involves math? Contact them and talk it over before it gets dropped in. Hidey ho neighbor! I'm levine5 and want to make sure we aren't banging into each other's toys all summer long.... Call me crazy, but a face to face conversation is the best starting spot between neighbors.
          Agree with this. Technically, if pulling straight in along side the dock, 10' is enough (with racks swiveled in and/or boards down), but it is tight. If your neighbor is doing the same on the other side, with a standard width (8'6" or less) boat, that gives you another foot or so when pulling in, but you are both going to want to keep fenders on the outside to help each other and protect your boats.

I'd definitely talk to him and let him know your concerns, make sure he can safely operate his boat in a tight spot, etc. But it would be hard to raise any issues with the permitting authority, since apparently you also located your dock as close as legally possible to his property line

Comment

Originally posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
            He's for sure that neighbor that is a huge PITA to be neighbors with, impossible to please and upset over everything. Would rather research this guys scaffolding permit and come at him with legal technical jargon than talk to him.

Comment

I guess if you are 10 feet and they are 10 feet you both screwed each other. Can't you be 10 feet with your boat on the near side not their edge?

Comment

I can offer some real-world experience on this. In our lake, the docks are fixed at 20 feet apart and two MC boats can live side by side, but we often wish there was more room. If you are coming in straight in good conditions, its usually ok. However, if you have to make a turn to dock or there’s a strong cross-wind or wave currents, then docking can be difficult without hitting either the dock or your neighbor’s boat because there’s just not a lot of room for error. If the board racks are out, you will hit something so you always need to make sure they are pulled in before docking (I forget this all the time).

The other complicating factor is that while some boat lifts are 10’ wide, many lifts are wider than this. It is not uncommon to see lifts with a 11’ or 12’ width. This means that either two lifts will not fit side by side between the docks with 20-foot spacing, or you and your neighbor are both limited to using only the 10’ wide lift manufacturers. I don’t know what boat you have, but a 10’ width might even be a non-starter depending on requirements.

Just some food for thought. Even if you think the guy will be difficult to talk to, maybe you can use the boat lift sizing as a neutral reason to start the conversation. Perhaps your neighbor isn’t aware of this problem - I certainly wasn’t until I wanted a lift and realized that was an annoying limitation. Even if you don’t have a lift, tell him you are shopping for one and want to make sure he has enough space to safely dock his boat.

Comment

I still think you have to emphasize why are people putting their docks at the edge?

If you want a wide space then just shift yours inwards such that you have the space on your side.

Comment

Working...
                  X