Rudder Upgrade - 2003 X2 (205V)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudder Upgrade - 2003 X2 (205V)

I'm going to be replacing my steering cable this off-season and am thinking about upgrading my stock rudder as well, assuming there's still a viable replacement available. I've read a handful of threads, but after reaching out to OJ, it doesn't look like they still make/offer the OJ 162, which back in the day was the recommended replacement for the smaller stock rudder.

Any 205V owners out there who've done this and if so, do you know which rudder would be an acceptable replacement? Eric at OJ pointed me to waterskis.com and they have a few available for MC. Is it the 178 I'm looking for? Besides new seals in the rudder port, are there any other parts/pieces I need to complete the upgrade? Probably going to change out the cutlass bearing(s) as well while I'm at it and have the alignment checked--been a while.

https://waterskis.com/mastercraft-in...-for-maristar/

Any anecdotal first hand experience, tips, advice here?
    ¡Viva 205V!
    2003 X2 MCX

What are you trying to accomplish changing the rudder ? Just curious.
    2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Originally posted by dpb185 View Post
      What are you trying to accomplish changing the rudder ? Just curious.
      Better handling and turning response at low speeds as well as underway and weighted. Lot of first hand accounts of folks who've done it with great results. Plan on keeping the boat for a while, so considering doing the work this winter.
      ¡Viva 205V!
      2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Have fun with the steering cable.....been there done that, lots "O" fun!

Comment

I just did the steering cable on my '01 X30. It wasn't enjoyable, but it also wasn't terrible. Steering feels fantastic now.

Comment

I've always been disappointed in our 205v's slow speed manners around a dock with the stock rudder. Very interested in what you find and any testimonials from those who have changed their rudder. Thanks.

Comment

Make sure you upgrade to the four bolt clamp for your support tube. You can make it as tight as you want unlike the original three bolt clamp. Gives you pinky steering

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
                Make sure you upgrade to the four bolt clamp for your support tube. You can make it as tight as you want unlike the original three bolt clamp. Gives you pinky steering
                Thanks. I think I’m going to post up on the FB Team MC group page. I believe after reading several posts that the newer 178 rudder requires a rudder port replacement due to shaft size. The older discontinued OJ 162 was a drop-in swap. Wish I could find one of those. Need to get the facts from someone who knows.
                ¡Viva 205V!
                2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Originally posted by brucemac View Post

Thanks. I think I’m going to post up on the FB Team MC group page. I believe after reading several posts that the newer 178 rudder requires a rudder port replacement due to shaft size. The older discontinued OJ 162 was a drop-in swap. Wish I could find one of those. Need to get the facts from someone who knows.
                  Please share when you do get the facts.

Thanks

Comment

There was a relatively famous rudder upgrade on all the boats in 2006. My 2005 already had the upgrade when I bought it in '07, so I can't comment first hand, but I understand it is a significant improvement.
                    Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Did my rubber cable with the help of a friend. Took an hour or so. As others have said, not terrible and not great.

Comment

Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
                        Did my rubber cable with the help of a friend. Took an hour or so. As others have said, not terrible and not great.
                        I've done a number and I'd say the biggest issue is if the factory got happy with zip ties or not. One boat had zip ties like every 2 feet on the cable and in places that I had to stick a long screwdriver down the cable to break them off as you'd never be able to reach them. Crazy.

Comment

I did the rudder replacement / upgrade on my 2022 X30 back in 2006. It's well worth the money and time if you can find one.
                          2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

Comment

I did the swap on a 03 X2. All I did was change the rudder, no port change needed for mine. Night and day difference. I would probably put it above adding perfect pass to the boat as my boat handled poorly without it.

Comment

Originally posted by prostar205 View Post
                              I did the rudder replacement / upgrade on my 2022 X30 back in 2006. It's well worth the money and time if you can find one.
                              What rudder did you upgrade to. OJ 162? MC 178? or ?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X