No announcement yet.

Rudder Upgrade - 2003 X2 (205V)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got it direct from MC back in 2006 so it must be the 178. I did not have to change out my rudder port. I think (it's been a long time since I did this) my rudder port has 4 bolts attaching it to the hull. I could check next time I'm at the boat.
    2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

Comment

Originally posted by prostar205 View Post
      I got it direct from MC back in 2006 so it must be the 178. I did not have to change out my rudder port. I think (it's been a long time since I did this) my rudder port has 4 bolts attaching it to the hull. I could check next time I'm at the boat.
      I suspect if you did it back in 06 it was the OJ-made 162. Were you able to remove the rudder without interference from the trailer's prop guard?
      ¡Viva 205V!
      2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Originally posted by brucemac View Post

I suspect if you did it back in 06 it was the OJ-made 162. Were you able to remove the rudder without interference from the trailer's prop guard?
        Yes, my rudder was able to drop out the bottom of the boat without hitting the prop guard or my driveway. I know my rudder has the word "MASTERCRAFT" cast into the rudder.

Comment

Originally posted by prostar205 View Post
          The MC 178 and the OJ 162 look identical. Is this the correct style for the upgrade and is there any number stamped on these rudders?

Click image for larger version  Name:	200178_394x.jpeg.webp Views:	0 Size:	2.9 KB ID:	2714445 Click image for larger version  Name:	rudder oj 162.jpg.webp Views:	0 Size:	17.5 KB ID:	2714446

Comment

A bit more clarifying information from the MC FB group. Take it for what it's worth, but this came from a MC dealer parts manager with 23 years experience:

200178 is the original 2003 X2 rudder (see my pic below).

TPH's picture above of "200178" is actually a redesigned rudder compatible with 2003 X2/205V, but it's actually part# 200178a.

Furthermore and again from the same parts manager, OJ's 162 was never actually "designed" or "designated" for the 205V hull, but as other members have noted, it was a successful upgrade that did not require a rudder port swap.

He also added that part# 200176 is a larger rudder (larger than 200178) that was used on 2010-2011 X1's (same hull).

Also important to note that I was also told by waterskis.com that there is a 90% chance of having to change the rudder port when moving to the 200178 rudder. Not due to shaft diameter, but due to shaft length and the position of the cotter pin hole. The new rudder shaft is longer. Still waiting on confirmation if this is the case with part# 200176, but I suspect it is.

Hopefully more to come.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2597.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	2714452
            ¡Viva 205V!
            2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Would this make my wife better at putting the boat on the trailer ? I may be interested if so.
              2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Bruce - just an idea. If the shaft is longer than you could cut it down and machine the key way longer. You could find a machinist friend or cut the key way in with a chisel and file. One may take longer than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by tph View Post

The MC 178 and the OJ 162 look identical. Is this the correct style for the upgrade and is there any number stamped on these rudders?

Click image for larger version Name:	200178_394x.jpeg.webp Views:	0 Size:	2.9 KB ID:	2714445 Click image for larger version Name:	rudder oj 162.jpg.webp Views:	0 Size:	17.5 KB ID:	2714446
                  That's what mine looks like. I don't recall there being a number stamped on the rudder itself.

Comment

Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
                    Bruce - just an idea. If the shaft is longer than you could cut it down and machine the key way longer. You could find a machinist friend or cut the key way in with a chisel and file. One may take longer than the other.
                    Yeah, thought about that. Was just hoping not to have to mess with all that. May have a line on an OJ 162, but waiting for confirmation on availability and whether it's actually new or not. Also still waiting on an answer back on the 176 shaft length and port swap requirement question. Something I definitely want to pursue, but not sure I'm comfortable messing with the port swap myself.

¡Viva 205V!
                    2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Point of clarification: the shaft length on the 178 is shorter than the stock rudder shaft. Thus the potential need to swap the rudder port.
                      ¡Viva 205V!
                      2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Point of clarification: the shaft length on the 178 is shorter than the stock rudder shaft. Thus the potential need to swap the rudder port.
                        Thanks for the clarification. I would rather not swap out the port as well. Here is a picture of the 200176. The shape looks like the original on my 2000 205V, though it may be bigger (more square inches)

Click image for larger version  Name:	200176_394x.jpg.webp Views:	0 Size:	3.0 KB ID:	2714470 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3645.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2714472

Last edited by tph; 09-19-2022, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Well the saga continues. Shot a couple pics of my rudder port over to Eric at OJ and he didn't think the rudder port was theirs. That means the bushing that is available isn't an option.

I then emailed skidim and they don't offer any rudder port seal kits for 2003. So I'm at a bit of a loss here. Where do I go to get a seal kit for this rudder port? Really don't want to have to swap ports.

Name:	IMG_2608.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	2714515
                          ¡Viva 205V!
                          2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Well the saga continues. Shot a couple pics of my rudder port over to Eric at OJ and he didn't think the rudder port was theirs. That means the bushing that is available isn't an option.

I then emailed skidim and they don't offer any rudder port seal kits for 2003. So I'm at a bit of a loss here. Where do I go to get a seal kit for this rudder port? Really don't want to have to swap ports.

Name:	IMG_2608.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	2714515
                            This is the seal used for your rudder port. Its held in by a snap ring.

https://skidim.com/shaft-seal-only-1-1-8in.html

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post

This is the seal used for your rudder port. Its held in by a snap ring.

https://skidim.com/shaft-seal-only-1-1-8in.html
                              Thanks for the reply gwozhog, but are you sure? I got upside down and snapped a few pics and I don't see any of that gray/silver portion at the top near the tiller arm. Or am I misunderstanding and I only use the "guts" of the item shown on skidim?
                              ¡Viva 205V!
                              2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Here's a better shot of my existing rudder port.

Name:	IMG_2609.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	2714524
                                ¡Viva 205V!
                                2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Working...
                                X