Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mi DNR eyeing new Wakesurf Regulations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mi DNR eyeing new Wakesurf Regulations

    Just saw this article and thought I'd share for other members from Michigan that may have missed it... and elsewhere for that matter:

    https://mlive.com/news/2022/09/michi...ing-boats.html



  • #2
    I mean good...

    Its not that I dislike surfers I just dislike how useless so many lakes are now. Growing up around Michigan and boating on all sorts of bodies of water big and small and working at a marina that sold big boats like double and triple engined Bajas and Fountains (Torch River) I understand that of course big boats make big wakes. But the thing is there never were that many big boats, and the owners of big boats would just open their throttles open the captains call cut off on their exhausts and rip up the lake a few times they didn't circle they didn't stop and start.

    But now we're at the point where so many of the multi-sport lakes that make a state like Michigan cool are just so busy during the day that it sucks to do anything on them. Sailing sucks, SUP sucks, Kayaking sucks, Skiing sucks, Fishing sucks.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
      I mean good...

      Its not that I dislike surfers I just dislike how useless so many lakes are now. Growing up around Michigan and boating on all sorts of bodies of water big and small and working at a marina that sold big boats like double and triple engined Bajas and Fountains (Torch River) I understand that of course big boats make big wakes. But the thing is there never were that many big boats, and the owners of big boats would just open their throttles open the captains call cut off on their exhausts and rip up the lake a few times they didn't circle they didn't stop and start.

      But now we're at the point where so many of the multi-sport lakes that make a state like Michigan cool are just so busy during the day that it sucks to do anything on them. Sailing sucks, SUP sucks, Kayaking sucks, Skiing sucks, Fishing sucks.
      It's gonna sound very "get off my lawn"-ish but I agree. Everybody and their mother gets out and surfs during the season (even in the early mornings) to the point where it's hard to get out before someone is completely ballasted and churning up the lake and makes me excited for the post-Labor Day season here. It doesn't help that people seem to not take any time to learn how to pick up a downed rider, or bother to look over their pitched up bow. People used to get mad at/make fun of the tubers who drop in at 8am, but surfing might be worse.
      Tim
      Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
      1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
      1995 MC ProStar 205

      Comment


      • #4
        It does but... if you have a nice lawn flat level drained people can enjoy it together. Bag toss soccer croquet picnics running around. Generally speaking a lot of activities can coexist in this space.

        wake sports are relatively unique. Of course big boats displace water that displacement makes wave energy, but 100% of boat operators out side of wake sports would trade smaller wakes for better fuel economy. That being if you own a 42 foot twin screw cabin cruiser and I said hey I'll give you a part that reduces your fuel consumption or drag by 1% but hy the way your boat will not have a wake anymore. 100% of boat owners other than wake sports would take it. 100% of sail boats barge operators ski boat owners canoists kayakers stand up paddleboards. Literally everyone who has to pay or work to move a boat down the water would trade their wake for even a measily 1% improvement in efficiency.

        but wake sports are the opposite, people will literally pay 10s of thousands of bucks to be less efficient and make more wakes. Marginal improvements in wake theyll pay and burn fuel.

        Everyone agrees storms make waves.

        Everyone agrees big boats make wake.

        But most people dont boat in storms or bad wind. And owners of big boats would gladly trade their fuel consumption for less wakes. But only wake sports people gladly spend more to make the water trash.

        Comment


        • #5
          I posted this only to show what's being discussed by "The Man", not to take sides.

          I grew up with a slalom ski under me, and would have absolutely despised surfing.

          Fastforward, and now, while my daughter skis, and hates tubers and surfers when she's doing it, she also loves to surf.

          We do it carefully, and try to be respectful, but at the end of the day, its all about perspective and sharing the water. If we see others trying to ski, I make her wait it out... small gestures.


          Ps) The quiet 300 acre lake I grew up skiing on in northern Michigan banned watersports after 5 pm because of us... about 25 years ago. We skied almost every night after my dad would get home from work. Wakeboarding and surfing weren't even a thing... Quiet boat, small wake.... BUT, the cottage owners from Chicago decided it wasn't quiet enough. Point being, the line is very blurry, and everyone places it in a different position.

          Comment


          • #6
            One thing I see mentioned in almost every article about this subject is the annoyance with loud music on top of the big waves. This is something surf boat operators can control, and is not required to surf. Turning down the music seems like a small enough thing to avoid getting on peoples' radars, but I guess the urge to share music with the rest of the lake is just too much to overcome.
            Chris
            2001 Prostar 209

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm on a busy 1,350 acre lake in SE Michigan.

              I don't think surf boats are a problem on our lake. Maybe we are just lucky. I can't remember the last time (if ever?) I was bothered by one. Usually see 3-5 or so out on the weekends. They're usually in the middle of the lake, I tend to stay away from them.

              Comment


              • #8
                I think 500 feet from shore is a pretty fare rule.
                -Tim

                Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cm02WS6 View Post
                  One thing I see mentioned in almost every article about this subject is the annoyance with loud music on top of the big waves. This is something surf boat operators can control, and is not required to surf. Turning down the music seems like a small enough thing to avoid getting on peoples' radars, but I guess the urge to share music with the rest of the lake is just too much to overcome.
                  Honestly I don't care about the music. Before wake surfers there were always people with boats with overdone stereos.

                  But to make a fair comparison to get a permit in Michigan to install a slalom course requires you to get 2000' worth of home owners to sign off. What would you think if they required "wake boat course zones" in order to operate a wake enhanced boat? 4 corner markers 2000x200 feet with 20 property owners signing off.

                  Get that done and you can ballast your boat and enjoy your sport inside of those 4 points. Otherwise you can buy a lot and build a private wakeboard lake.

                  That's where slalom skiing is at.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It always starts with the lakes that has docks. Maybe its time to re think approving docks attached to the lake. That's also a nuisance.

                    Does anyone think a wake boat in Michigan is going to erode the shoreline? Cmon season cant be over 4 months there and you know it.

                    The longer you live the more rules they're going to try to get you to follow...... Get the Karen's off the lake.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      People should give wake surf foiling a try. I have literally seen people behind zodiac boats on my lake. Go to Youtube and search "Foilfest on Lake Jane" for a video of one of the parties I hosted this summer. Lots of people behind small boats and riding very small waves. One person literally was wake foiling behind a jet ski. My boat got very little use this summer because most of us are getting into efoiling. No wake at all, no noise, VERY challenging and best of all no drivers needed.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jgraham37128 View Post
                        It always starts with the lakes that has docks. Maybe its time to re think approving docks attached to the lake. That's also a nuisance.

                        Does anyone think a wake boat in Michigan is going to erode the shoreline? Cmon season cant be over 4 months there and you know it.

                        The longer you live the more rules they're going to try to get you to follow...... Get the Karen's off the lake.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jgraham37128 View Post
                          Does anyone think a wake boat in Michigan is going to erode the shoreline? Cmon season cant be over 4 months there and you know it.
                          I'm not big into the erosion argument.

                          I'm more into the if we all have to share a limited amount of public water, on a limited number of days, in a limited number of months like you pointed out maybe 4-5 months of season. And then of it only so many weekends, and some of them are cold/rainy/dreary.

                          So when its useful water for _________________- (insert activity) then its pretty presumptuous to think that wake sports should be prioritized over literally all other water enjoyment.

                          And of course the least invasive most inclusive/public things are say fishing, paddleboarding, kayaking, swimming. No wakes no noise no disturbance. And them more invasive would be waterskiing, then jet skis, then tubing, and then on the far end of what will churn it up are wake sports with wakeboarding and then wake surfing being about the most disruptive.

                          And frankly its just that most wake surfers suck, if they could stay up for a few thousand yards at a time... Less annoying.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Not against wake surfing/foiling at all. However, some regulation might be needed. We spend most of our time on Lake Michigan and Gun Lake so we are used to bigger waves. My in-laws lake however is a different story. Horseshoe Lake in Six Lakes is deep but pretty small and when the wake boats come through the narrow point of the shoe they throw huge waves way up onto shore over the dock and rocks the boat like crazy. Small lakes are hard to have a 100' or 500' from shore rule, so maybe a min lake size/depth would be good?

                            Those driving the wake surfing boats really may not be 100% aware of what is happening on shore as they go by either.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by H2ORidr View Post
                              People should give wake surf foiling a try. I have literally seen people behind zodiac boats on my lake. Go to Youtube and search "Foilfest on Lake Jane" for a video of one of the parties I hosted this summer. Lots of people behind small boats and riding very small waves. One person literally was wake foiling behind a jet ski. My boat got very little use this summer because most of us are getting into efoiling. No wake at all, no noise, VERY challenging and best of all no drivers needed.
                              That last sentence is a deal breaker for a lot wakesurfers
                              Tim
                              Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
                              1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
                              1995 MC ProStar 205

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X