• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avorob
    TT Enthusiast
    • Jun 2012

Ignition (starter) wiring diagram for Indmar X2 06

Any heads up on how to test the starter with direct wiring or a voltage meter? The starter is not responding at all when turning the key. The power turns on with the right turn of the key. It happened while winterizing the boat. I remember I had the similar issue issue a while back after the winter storage. I don't recall how I hot wired to jolt the starter. It worked for a few seasons till now.

Thx for the heads up.
  • prostar205
    MC Maniac
    • Aug 2004

You should be able to measure 12V from the red wire (coming directly from the alternator) and ground. When the key is turned on (to the right), there should be 12V from the yellow/red stripped wire and ground. If you aren't getting 12V between the yellow/red stripped wire, your starter relay may be bad. The relay is easy to replace. It's located on the back of the engine behind the rear bench seat. There should be a cluster of three (Starter, Ignition and Fuel Pump).
    2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

Comment

• avorob
      TT Enthusiast
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by prostar205 View Post
      You should be able to measure 12V from the red wire (coming directly from the alternator) and ground. When the key is turned on (to the right), there should be 12V from the yellow/red stripped wire and ground. If you aren't getting 12V between the yellow/red stripped wire, your starter relay may be bad. The relay is easy to replace. It's located on the back of the engine behind the rear bench seat. There should be a cluster of three (Starter, Ignition and Fuel Pump).
      Tested the voltage as instructed.

The alternator (thick red cable) is showing 12V to the ground.
      The longitudinally stripped wire is showing zero volts. this is in the ignition key position.
      It's showing zero when he key is in the starter initiation position as well. I think the alternator cable is showing only 7v in this position of the key. I had to use weight to keep the key in the starter position.

Any other testing to be done?

I'm attaching the panel with relay clusters. Which one is the starter. If it needs to ne replaced; what model is it and how to I get to the panel (remove the back seat)

Thx

Click image for larger version

Name:	starter-relay.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	2716380

Comment

• prostar205
        MC Maniac
        • Aug 2004

All 3 on my relays are the same part number. However, the only way to tell which one is the starter is to have your wiring diagram and know which color wires go to each relay. I can tell for you for a 2002 X-30 with the 8.1L engine, the starter relay has 4 wires - Yellow/Orange strip, Yellow/Black strip, Red/Black stripe, another Yellow/Orange stripe.

Comment

• avorob
          TT Enthusiast
          • Jun 2012

So you think it's the bad relay?

Originally posted by prostar205 View Post
          All 3 on my relays are the same part number.
          Are those relays 1-3 or 4-6 cluster (as per the image). Also, how do you replace those? The relay board is somewhat tight against the seat back

Comment

• prostar205
            MC Maniac
            • Aug 2004

The relays should be the ones labeled 4, 5 and 6 (Starter, Ignition, Fuel Pump - not in that order). The labels 1, 2 & 3 are the connectors going to the ECU (looks to be a MEFI2).

Comment

• avorob
              TT Enthusiast
              • Jun 2012

Any trick to replacing them? It's very tight space.

Comment

• prostar205
                MC Maniac
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by avorob View Post
                Any trick to replacing them? It's very tight space.
                You will need to poke a flat bladed screwdriver between the relay and that grey piece that is holding it to the board. With the screw driver inserted, slide the entire relay and connected harness down and off the gray retaining clip. Then release the clip shown in your picture that holds the relay to wiring harness/connector plate. See photo below.
                Attached Files

Comment

• avorob
                  TT Enthusiast
                  • Jun 2012

Cool. Should be easy to do. Any other tests can I do while the relay is out?

Back to the original test - there's voltage on the alternator but no voltage on the stipped wire.

One more thing - can the issue be due to the removing the safety lanyard? Tat when the starter stopped working. However, I get the instruments on when I put the lanyard back and turn the key to the right

Comment

• prostar205
                    MC Maniac
                    • Aug 2004

The safety lanyard pulls power from the fuel pump. That's it's main function.

You can jump two of the pins on the connector that the relay plugs into to see if you can get 12V on the stripped wire. Not sure which two pins to jump.

Comment

• neil.anderson63
                      MC Maniac
                      • Dec 2011

I had the same boat (07 X2) and I had a no crank issue with similar symptoms. My safety lanyard was bypassed to get me off the water after the clip broke and I didn't repair until I prepared to sell. I pulled each relay and connection, checked for corrosion and applied dielectric / tune up grease to every connection. Problem never came back. Your pic looks like there could be some connection corrosion.
                      Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

• mtajpa
                        MC Devotee
                        • Feb 2009

Might check the neutral safety switch. If throttle is not in neutral then it blocks the circuit to engage starter.
                        99 MariStar 230 Sport LTR 330

Comment

• proey
                          TT Enthusiast
                          • Sep 2022

Originally posted by mtajpa View Post
                          Might check the neutral safety switch. If throttle is not in neutral then it blocks the circuit to engage starter.
                          Learnt that the hard way! Stopped to pickup a skier, couldn’t get the boat to start. Got a tow back to the dock, poked around the engine, volt meter on the batteries. About an hour later sat down in the drivers seat shook the throttle in frustration, heard the click and realized my stupidity!!

Comment

• avorob
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Jun 2012

What type of relay (or part number) is for starter relay? Is it same as for ballast pumps? I replaced a couple of those with HELLA 007794301 Cover with Weatherproof Mini ISO Relay

Also, where do I find the neutral safety switch?

Want to be prepared when I go to implement the suggestions. Trying to minimize diagnostic / repair time. It's cold outside. LOL

AV

Comment

• ahhudgins
                              MC Maniac
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by avorob View Post
                              What type of relay (or part number) is for starter relay? Is it same as for ballast pumps? I replaced a couple of those with HELLA 007794301 Cover with Weatherproof Mini ISO Relay

Also, where do I find the neutral safety switch?

Want to be prepared when I go to implement the suggestions. Trying to minimize diagnostic / repair time. It's cold outside. LOL

AV
                              It’s normally on top of the transmission, in line with the shifting mechanism. Could also be on the side of the transmission, but still in line with the shifter. It’s just a mechanical switch that is closed when the transmission linkage is in neutral and open when it’s in gear. It won’t allow the starter to crank if it’s in gear. Usually 2 white wires connected to the switch with a rubber boot on top of the terminals. I Googled it and found a picture that was posted by Waterlogged.
                              You can test it with an ohm meter (not while trying to start it) or remove the 2 wires and short them together and then try to start it.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	neutral safety01.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	2716517

“You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X