Did the new forum kill TeamTalk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the new forum kill TeamTalk?

I’m curious. Place seems to be picking back up, but still seems dead. Would the old format bring it back? Is the new one that hard for folks to get used to? Or just uncomfortable with change?

I know Facebook groups attributes to the death of forums, but I also realize some don’t like Facebook and the overlords.

picture of warm water to lighten the mood -
    Click image for larger version

Name:	D1D2A344-A606-464F-9DAF-65D055037E9D.jpg
Views:	1494
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	2717080
    Attached Files
    Nah this place is lit
    27.27%
    Dead
    72.73%
    Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
    Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
    2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
    For Sale:
    2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Name:	TRL 22.jpg
Views:	1692
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2717083
    I'm not a Facebooker, Agree it is dead in here lately. More from the warm water, happy faces files.

Name:	TRLshelf.jpg
Views:	1702
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	2717082
    Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

Yep... dead. Though I have no idea if it's Facebook causing it, because I don't do the face page thing.

I generally keep Teamtalk open in a browser while in the office, clicking over to it occasionally to see what's new... but lately it's pointless, as even the "New Topics" button only brings up a post or two that's been replied to today.

Comment

Don't know if it's the change of the forum interface but the feel in general is definitely different. I don't think it's dead but it's no longer something that I'll log into and post nearly as much anymore. As if the past couple elections were not enough to divide people, I think covid and the crazy posts during that period really sent people into camps and scared a lot of people off. I'm sure many of the posts from either side of the covid conversation hasn't aged well (excuse me while I adjust my triple masks as I write this while washing the boxes Amazon delivered yesterday with hand sanitizer which I left on the porch over night to kill off the covid).

I still try to help out where I can but I'm not nearly as active and am more selective about where and when to jump in. There's still some really talented guys posting on here that I respect but many have indeed left or are not posting anymore and that's a shame.

As far a s FB goes..... I'm pretty much anti FB not because of my age or that I don't understand how to use it. I'm in IT and understand the interface and backend technology very well. It's mostly because let's face it, most SM and in particular FB is crap from beginning to end. I deleted my FB account along with my other non essential SM accounts years ago, TT is one of the few that I kept. As far as I'm concerned the smaller my SM profile is, the better. That said I did create a shadow FB account so I can still get to market place as that seems to be where things are being sold these days. I do love seeing the "friend" suggestions I get from the FB AI.

Comment

Aric ran me off

Comment

86 makes a real good point on how to find or follow posts. It's really bad. Head over to Planet Nautique, sign in and hit "Today's Topics". This will show you everything recent. I just logged in here and couldn't see this topic when I hit "Today's Posts". This has nothing to do with being non tech competent, it's about having a poor interface. You shouldn't have to search to see what has been posted in the past 24 - 48 hours.

Comment

I don't want it to be the new forum style because honestly I don't see what the big deal is between the new and the old. I'm on enough forums to know that this is not the clunkiest of the bunch but some are better. ...But I have noticed way less posting fairly abruptly around the time of the switch, maybe I am wrong.

Facebook definitely screws over the majority of forums which is a shame because there are a lot of reasons that are better to post here than there.

Also to be fair, its definitely the off- season.

Comment

I've owned two older MCs, and TeamTalk has always been a great resource in terms of general maintenance and repairs. Usually TT answers are provided by members with actual hands-on experience or knowledge and rarely does a problem, even on newer models go unsolved. FaceBook knowledge and technical help, for the most part is a joke. Someone posts with...let's say an engine misfire and several answers might suggest an oil change LOL. At least that's my perspective, seems like a lot of posts from people that have no real idea but they stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before. There are exceptions but overally it's comical to me. I try to offer answers here if I feel I have something legitimate to contribute and still do. I've given up on all the MC Facebook MC pages. Speaking of which they seem to be multipling like rabbits....MC FB pages are now popping up for every model year, style, color...I don't look at those either.

I still prefer TeamTalk but I think a little reorganization would help here, especially on the technical side. I have an older 205...w/ 351/carb. I think it would be helpful to reorganize the forums into more "boat or year or build specific" sections. Posts within those sections could then all be "general" posts. So let's say it's "Pre-fuel Injection (carb) Boats" for example...just have every post in that single general section visible w/o the sub-sections of "electrical, appearance, etc." Whether you're trying to tune a carb or find a recommended uphosltery shop, or considering changing from carpet to gatorstep, the audience is the same and likely dealing at some point with a similar situation. Boats from the early 80s til the end of the Indmar 351 era have a lot of commonality. By the same token, guys with an MCX or a newer Ilmore boat trying to solve a problem or askinga question probably don't need or want to see a post from someone like me working on a Pertronix distributor upgrade.

A reorganiztion to provide easier/quicker access to we are seeking would be a big benefit on TeamTalk I think. There are some benefits to the new forum format, like picture uploads are easier, but I don't think it's the forum interface so much as it's time for a total reorganization of the forums. My two cents plus a lot more.....

Comment

Originally posted by d2jp View Post
                  I've owned two older MCs, and TeamTalk has always been a great resource in terms of general maintenance and repairs. Usually TT answers are provided by members with actual hands-on experience or knowledge and rarely does a problem, even on newer models go unsolved. FaceBook knowledge and technical help, for the most part is a joke. Someone posts with...let's say an engine misfire and several answers might suggest an oil change LOL. At least that's my perspective, seems like a lot of posts from people that have no real idea but they stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before. There are exceptions but overally it's comical to me. I try to offer answers here if I feel I have something legitimate to contribute and still do. I've given up on all the MC Facebook MC pages. Speaking of which they seem to be multipling like rabbits....MC FB pages are now popping up for every model year, style, color...I don't look at those either.

I still prefer TeamTalk but I think a little reorganization would help here, especially on the technical side. I have an older 205...w/ 351/carb. I think it would be helpful to reorganize the forums into more "boat or year or build specific" sections. Posts within those sections could then all be "general" posts. So let's say it's "Pre-fuel Injection (carb) Boats" for example...just have every post in that single general section visible w/o the sub-sections of "electrical, appearance, etc." Whether you're trying to tune a carb or find a recommended uphosltery shop, or considering changing from carpet to gatorstep, the audience is the same and likely dealing at some point with a similar situation. Boats from the early 80s til the end of the Indmar 351 era have a lot of commonality. By the same token, guys with an MCX or a newer Ilmore boat trying to solve a problem or askinga question probably don't need or want to see a post from someone like me working on a Pertronix distributor upgrade.

A reorganiztion to provide easier/quicker access to we are seeking would be a big benefit on TeamTalk I think. There are some benefits to the new forum format, like picture uploads are easier, but I don't think it's the forum interface so much as it's time for a total reorganization of the forums. My two cents plus a lot more.....
                  It's almost like it needs to be separated in the way that there is Planet Nautique for the rich & Correctcraft Fan for vintage. CCF was a HUGE wealth of knowledge when I was dealing with carb issues on my old '85 SS, especially when seeking information beyond "you should just buy a new carb" like youre likely to get on Facebook or on here.

Comment

Agreed, every since the new layout. This place has been dead.

Comment

I agree FB and the new format as affected the activity on this page. I can't comment on the FB portion since I am part of that equation with "Team MasterCraft", but I think the people that don't come here because of the format are just lame. I used to use the old one on Tapatalk but the new one is formatted to work without tapatalk, so I was able to stop using that app. Its just a matter of getting used to it. Suck it up boys!! LOL

One Edit: I do think MC Admins could make an effort to adjust some buttons on here to do what the old one did. New Topics works almost as good but I don't like how the ones I read are removed from the list.
                      If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
                      1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

I'd prefer to see a button with 'new posts' instead of 'today's' posts. I liked seeing what I missed because it gave me a better chance to interact. Now I have to click through the forums topics to see posts older than a day, which is a pain in my a$$.
                        Hello, my name Ryan!

Comment

Wait, did they just fix what I asked for? This is the best place ever!
                          Hello, my name Ryan!

Comment

barefoot nope, read posts still disappear off the list

Comment

this newer forum is flat out horrible. I hardly ever even look at it anymore....

Comment

Working...
                              X