No announcement yet.

Did the new forum kill TeamTalk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAH I had forgot about the tag editing shenanigans.
    2020 Table Rock Mastercraft Reunion Poker Run Champion

I lead the fight to ban the swimsuit thread, help me bring it back: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...58#post1494758

"LDA never saw a thread he couldn't run off the rails"

Comment

Originally posted by 86Skier View Post

Incorrect. I described a crowd that can't afford a NEW boat. Many of them could, however, afford a very capable older used boat... if truly being on the water was their real goal... but its not and they won't, because of their mindset.
      Your attitude is very poor. For example, my wife and I are they that you're commenting about, and we do, along with several other friends with old boats, the exact opposite of what your boomer comments are indicating. Partially faded 94 prostar and believe me, no ones got issues with it. Also no granite countertops in sight...

Comment

Originally posted by Huckelfin View Post
        Your attitude is very poor. For example, my wife and I are they that you're commenting about, and we do, along with several other friends with old boats, the exact opposite of what your boomer comments are indicating. Partially faded 94 prostar and believe me, no ones got issues with it. Also no granite countertops in sight...

My attitude is exactly the opposite of "poor"... but, perhaps I'm not explaining myself well. I agree 100% that there isn't anything wrong with an older boat, in-fact, I'm advocating for the idea that one doesn't need the brand new $250k model to enjoy the water. My primary point was, that I'm tired of people saying they (or others) can’t afford to ski, wakeboard, etc., anymore, because boats have gotten so expensive…. Because, while I do agree that the cost of the newest models are excessive, that doesn’t mean there aren’t tons of great older boats out there that still perform incredibly, and are well capable of putting the same smiles on people’s faces behind them.

Comment

The new format has slowed my visits. I don't think there is anything wrong with it but it just isn't as quick and simple from my smartphone as the last format. If I am on my PC, it isn't so bad but it turns out I spent most of my time reading and contributing via my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by 86Skier View Post

I'm not buying this argument anymore than the young generation saying they can't afford a house, because none they can find have 6 bedrooms and the right color granite.

Not saying its not part of the equation, but truly its more of a mindset than a fixed reality actually keeping the next generation off the water.

90's era prostars, etc, are available for $7500-15,000 all over. Easily maintained and even better... repaired cheap and easily. They ski great, foil fine, and wakeboard ok. BUT, lets be honest, they lack the BLING factor the modern era "kids" just "have to have".... immediately. Finding a reliable tug isn't the issue, nor is cost if thats your actual priority, its the fact that they don't make as catchy of vids on instagram and facepage.... and they don't want to be caught in a chalky 1991 just in case someone they know shows up in a 2023 and happens to see them.
            I'm in the age demographic you're talking about. Yes, I have a newer boat and I realize I'm super fortunate that I am able to afford a newer boat, but I generally disagree with the point you're trying to make. I have plenty of buddies who enjoy the water just as much as I do with less. I think your overall understanding of my generation is flawed. Yes, your points can be applied to maybe 15% of us, but it's unfair to assume that every Gen Y/Z member acts in such a way.
            -Tolman
            '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
            '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

Originally posted by TolCarMan View Post

I'm in the age demographic you're talking about. Yes, I have a newer boat and I realize I'm super fortunate that I am able to afford a newer boat, but I generally disagree with the point you're trying to make. I have plenty of buddies who enjoy the water just as much as I do with less. I think your overall understanding of my generation is flawed. Yes, your points can be applied to maybe 15% of us, but it's unfair to assume that every Gen Y/Z member acts in such a way.
              And the same could be said about boomer statements.

However, I embrace my boomerism! Which is odd because when the baby boomer age group was first talked about I wasn't part of it; born in 63. Some how, over the years the year groups expanded and I'm on the very tail end of boomers now and it's awesome!! I fully retired at 47 and have been living the boomer dream!!

All this bull**** talk about generational mind gaps is just that, bull****. Time marches on and guess what, It'll happen to Gen Y/Z members too. I do hope that when that time comes you embrace it and live a happy life!!

Booming!! Make Boomers Great Again!!
              Last edited by CantRepeat; 12-21-2022, 07:05 AM.
              -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Yes. This thread is headed places.

Poor people everywhere, boomers booming
                Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                For Sale:
                2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post

All this bull**** talk about generational mind gaps is just that, bull****. Time marches on and guess what. It'll have to Gen Y/Z members too. I do hope that when time comes you embrace it live a happy life!!
                  Indeed!
                  -Tolman
                  '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
                  '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

Originally posted by LDA6339 View Post
                    HAH I had forgot about the tag editing shenanigans.
                    Yup! I'd stop by on Sunday morning just to see what tags had changed in the college football thread!!
                    -Tim

Comment

• Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                      Yes. This thread is headed places.

Poor people everywhere, boomers booming
                      Finally getting some god damn traction!!
                      -Tim

Comment

• Originally posted by tmothy07 View Post

You sorta missed and got what I was describing at the same time. When my dad was in college, multiple guys on their ski team had their own 80s ski boats (< 5 year old boats at that time). College kids aren't capable of buying 5 year old ski tugs anymore. Heck, 15-20 year old boats are pulling pretty crazy prices. I was agreeing with Swat that the industry has passed people like that by, and I'm willing to bet a lot of people like me wouldn't have gotten into watersports at all if it had happened earlier, because the interest in it was passed down to me at a young age. The attitude you're describing certainly exists, but I'd say it's an overrepresented minority. Give millenials and zoomers a little credit, it's not just instagram influencing to blame lol.
                        I'll have to agree with you on this one as I was in the same position as your father boating wise. Back then a 5 YO boat was something most early 20's guys (and I suppose girls) could afford but that's when rent was $400/month, a 2 YO car or truck that could pull a boat was <$4K, new car loans were typically for 3 years and student debt, if you had it, was typically a couple grand. And don't even get me started on car insurance. Now we talk about young adults getting out of college making $50K - $60K (or waiting tables if they have a women's studies degree or something along those lines) and having $60K - $100K in debt and that's along with the money they put into it as well. Rent around here for something decent starts around $1000, 4 or 5 YO cars/trucks that can pull a boat in decent shape are going for >$25K and if all that wasn't bad enough for kids starting out now inflation is going nuts. Sure you can pick up a 25 - 30 YO boat for under $20K but it's still a 25 YO boat no matter how well someone took care of it. If something big does go south (and it will on a 25+ YO boat) like say an engine or trans where do you come up with the 3 or 4 grand to fix it?

Let's face it, the life the "great generation" lived after the war and the boomers that came after them probably are/were the best living standards we'll see in some time. They were the generations where things kept getting better as they grew older and probably the last generations to live the dream retirement life. For those generations if you had a mid to upper middle class job you could own a nice home and a cottage on a lake while your wife could stay home to raise the kids. I knew skilled trades guys that worked at the Chrysler Trenton Engine Plant that did just that. All this and they could retire comfortably in their 50s and 60s.

Sorry but I just don't see that dynamic playing out for this generation coming out of high school or college today. To be truthful I also don't see many early/mid 20s young adults with boats on the lake either, mostly older people like myself. It's too bad.
                        Last edited by bturner2; 12-21-2022, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bturner2 View Post

I'll have to agree with you on this one as I was in the same position as your father boating wise. Back then a 5 YO boat was something most early 20's guys (and I suppose girls) could afford but that's when rent was $400/month, a 2 YO car or truck that could pull a boat was <$4K, new car loans were typically for 3 years and student debt, if you had it, was typically a couple grand. And don't even get me started on car insurance. Now we talk about young adults getting out of college making $50K - $60K (or waiting tables if they have a women's studies degree or something along those lines) and having $60K - $100K in debt and that's along with the money they put into it as well. Rent around here for something decent starts around $1000, 4 or 5 YO cars/trucks that can pull a boat in decent shape are going for >$25K and if all that wasn't bad enough for kids starting out now inflation is going nuts. Sure you can pick up a 25 - 30 YO boat for under $20K but it's still a 25 YO boat no matter how well someone took care of it. If something big does go south (and it will on a 25+ YO boat) like say an engine or trans where do you come up with the 3 or 4 grand to fix it?

Let's face it, the life the "great generation" lived after the war and the boomers that came after them probably are/were the best living standards we'll see in some time. They were the generations where things kept getting better as they grew older and probably the last generations to live the dream retirement life. For those generations if you had a mid to upper middle class job you could own a nice home and a cottage on a lake while your wife could stay home to raise the kids. I knew skilled trades guys that worked at the Chrysler Trenton Engine Plant that did just that. All this and they could retire comfortably in their 50s and 60s.

Sorry but I just don't see that dynamic playing out for this generation coming out of high school or college today. To be truthful I also don't see many early/mid 20s young adults with boats on the lake either, mostly older people like myself. It's too bad.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	400
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	2717506
                          lots of truth here

Comment

• After reading these posts I will add to this with my thoughts. We are more than 10 years after the introduction of 'smart phones' which, unfortunately, has changed the way the next generation does things....or doesn't, depending on your perspective. These younger people (20-35 year olds), and a good portion of those 35 and up, do way more things on their phones (and computers) than they do outdoors anymore. This is across many activities including boating and skiing. If you look at the number of younger people buying fishing licenses, hunting licenses, etc. those numbers are way down. The next generation just don't go outdoors for their entertainment like we did when we were kids (speaking to 48+ year olds). It may seem counterintuitive, but I blame the slow down on this social platform on smart phones. Those things turn people into plump zombies who don't know how to interact with one another unless it is on a 3x5 piece of glass. Pretty sad.
                            2003 ProStar 197, MCX and Powerslot.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson
                            Oh no, watch out for the Racoon-Dogs? You might get sick.

Comment

• Originally posted by captain planet View Post
                              After reading these posts I will add to this with my thoughts. We are more than 10 years after the introduction of 'smart phones' which, unfortunately, has changed the way the next generation does things....or doesn't, depending on your perspective. These younger people (20-35 year olds), and a good portion of those 35 and up, do way more things on their phones (and computers) than they do outdoors anymore. This is across many activities including boating and skiing. If you look at the number of younger people buying fishing licenses, hunting licenses, etc. those numbers are way down. The next generation just don't go outdoors for their entertainment like we did when we were kids (speaking to 48+ year olds). It may seem counterintuitive, but I blame the slow down on this social platform on smart phones. Those things turn people into plump zombies who don't know how to interact with one another unless it is on a 3x5 piece of glass. Pretty sad.
                              I apologize that my thoughts immediately went to, 'here we go, another boomer posting about kids these days and their phones' (only partially true) just joking with you.. but yes I would actually take your outdoor recreation comment another step further and say it has to do with lack of interest in 'extreme' sports. Back in their heydays, wakeboarding, skiing, racing of all sorts, etc on TV and many people participating. How many wakeboard boats do you really see doing something other than lounging, driving around, or surfing? No one wants to do it anymore for a variety of reasons. I remember a thread this past summer with someone arguing that surfing was a high impact sport, the softest of all activities zero impact, probably not even something I would consider to be a sport at all. That same person probably considers wakeboarding to be an absolute suicide mission by comparison to surfing. So now, we have $250k+ boats that barely can get themselves on plane in the name of getting people out surfing because its not an action sport. Then full circle, younger people have no chance of ever affording such a boat (forum goes down hill), I mean its not even about priorities, realistically, you need to be absolutely loaded to even consider the mortgage it requires to finance one let alone pay cash.

Comment

• Originally posted by 86Skier View Post
                                I'm not content with blaming the fact that there's a lack of posters on here on the idea that the new tugs can easily run $250,000+, or that the current buyer doesn't ask questions.... the dealer just fixes it for them...

Because, the vast majority of MC owners are out of warranty. Most WAY out of warranty.

So where did all the do-it-yourselfers with questions go? I'm guessing FB for the few that do ask, but for the majority: laziness and the fact that in general far less people fix anything themselves... I've heard of people waiting 4+ weeks to get their boat back in the heat of the season from a dealer to install an actuator or ballast pump, which is mind blowing to me.

That, and probably more importantly, those that do show up now in need of help, post and might hear from one or two people over a course of days. Not hours, and certainly not minutes like it once was.

A few have stuck around like waterlogged, who's input has proven helpful as hell to me more than once, but when struggling with an issue, the days of 15 people tossing 25 potential ideas at you quickly around here to get you back on the water are gone. And once you're in a pinch, try here but get no feedback, or very little, I'm guessing those folks move on... even though they very likely could have been the guys that later passed their same experience or fix on to the next guy.

warranty we don't need no stinkin' warranty! this site has been VERY useful to me over the years... and I have tried to give back where I can...

Comment

Working...
                                X