• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ORX-1
    MC Fanatic
    • Mar 2008

Sub Box

Anyone know how to make a sub box under the driver’s dash? I have always had my sub in the storage area behind the observers seat, but this year it would be nice to that space for gear. I have the cut out already there behind the carpet for a 10 inch sub but then it would be open air, I know that most people build them out, which I would be okay with but then you have to move the heater vent out and everything. Seems like a big project. Any thoughts.
    Old Boat:: 2006 X-1 New Boat:: 2008 X2 MCX
  • Loffgren
    TT Enthusiast
    • Mar 2006

ORX -I had a downfiring 12" sub in my X1, I installed it behind the drivers dash.I installed it behind the factory fake wall so it wasnt visible. It was nice because it was out of the way, but it rattled the living heck out of the dash so I put it back under observers seat. Not to big of a project but it was a pain, had to make funky box, remove seat etc... to squeeze it in...

Comment

• sand2snow22
      MC Maniac
      • Aug 2005

I would check with Dave at Stereo King in Clackamas or the KingPin guys before you do it yourself. You might be surprised at how cheap it is. I've dealt with Dave, but I know B-rad-y has had good luck with Kingpin.

I have the JL sub in that spot, it's designed for open air and is good enough for me. Having said that, a closed sub will sound better IMO. Up to you. Let me know how it goes!
      www.nwboatsports.com
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/NW-Bo...27792007306783

Comment

• brucemac
        MC Maniac
        • Feb 2008

you may be able to do a sealed box and keep your kick panel with a 10in by attaching the kick panel to the box. there's quite a bit of room back there. have you pulled out the kick panel to see what's back there?

i had mine installed by a mobile audio shop last year, but reamped it this year. i went ported and it sticks out about 4in or so from where the old kick panel was, but my box is kind of big. i'm very happy with mine though, but i wish i could find matching carpet somewhere for the false wall. it would look way better if it matched.

i think my next upgrade will be to a single 12 with 1000W. right now just 10 with 600W.

you could probably pay a shop to do a custom box for you and then intall it yourself, but it would require you taking the boat to them or knowing exactly what you wanted. most won't even discuss pricing unless they can see it and rightfully so. i think i paid $300 for the box including labor (excluding the sub).

Last edited by brucemac; 03-17-2009, 05:21 PM.
        ¡Viva 205V!
        2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• ORX-1
          MC Fanatic
          • Mar 2008

Thanks guys for the quick feedback. It does sound great where it is with no rattles but it would be so nice to have that storage space. with that said I may price it out. Thanks again, and Brucemac that looks great!

Comment

• prostar205
            MC Maniac
            • Aug 2004

ORX-1

I have a 2002 X30 and built my own box under the dash. It does not rattle any part of the dash and sound very good. The box has 1.0 cu. ft. of volume and holds a 12" Kicker L5 feed by a Kicker 600.1 that puts out 700W. Look at response #3 in this thread link.

My box does come out any farther than the stock kick panel that once housed the Clarion 10" free-air sub. I had to move my 3-vent heater core and re-route some dash wires and ballast vent hose, but other than that, it went pretty well.
            2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

Comment

• 06' X-2 R8R H8R
              TT Enthusiast
              • Oct 2006

I have mine mounted behind the firewall and a cutout in the walk through. Sounds and looks good. Try to get you a photo.

Comment

• ORX-1
                MC Fanatic
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by 06' X-2 R8R H8R View Post
                I have mine mounted behind the firewall and a cutout in the walk through. Sounds and looks good. Try to get you a photo.
                That would be great, sounds like an easy solution. thanks!

Comment

• 06' X-2 R8R H8R
                  TT Enthusiast
                  • Oct 2006

Here you go....
                  Attached Files

Comment

• ORX-1
                    MC Fanatic
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by prostar205 View Post
                    ORX-1

I have a 2002 X30 and built my own box under the dash. It does not rattle any part of the dash and sound very good. The box has 1.0 cu. ft. of volume and holds a 12" Kicker L5 feed by a Kicker 600.1 that puts out 700W. Look at response #3 in this thread link.

My box does come out any farther than the stock kick panel that once housed the Clarion 10" free-air sub. I had to move my 3-vent heater core and re-route some dash wires and ballast vent hose, but other than that, it went pretty well.
                    That looks so good! seriously that is great because the heat vent can stay where it currently is right? Looks great!

Comment

• ORX-1
                      MC Fanatic
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by 06' X-2 R8R H8R View Post
                      Here you go....
                      Looks good, is the sub just behind there?

Comment

• 06' X-2 R8R H8R
                        TT Enthusiast
                        • Oct 2006

Works well....Heat vent is still there. A stereo shop did it for me when I bought the boat, so as to tell you how......Dig in there it is possible.

Comment

• 06' X-2 R8R H8R
                          TT Enthusiast
                          • Oct 2006

yep.......

Comment

• 06' X-2 R8R H8R
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Oct 2006

The opposite wall gives it something to bounce off and give you more thump.

Comment

• brucemac
                              MC Maniac
                              • Feb 2008

love the looks of prostar205's, but i think you've got a bit more room back there in your X-30 than us 205V'ers.
                              ¡Viva 205V!
                              2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Working...
                              X