Carbureted vs. Fuel Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbureted vs. Fuel Injection

Ok, if you were looking at identical boats but one was carbureted and one was fuel injection which boat would you buy? Are modern carbureted engines any more sophisticated than my 86 or am I in the same "boat"? Tell me the pro's and con's of each
    Carbureted Boat
    7.83%
    Fuel Injection Model
    92.17%
    Living like no one else so later we can live like no one else

MC's owned:
    1986 Skier 19
    1995 ProStar 190
    2003 X-7
    1994 ProStar 205 (current)

Well Jeff,let me put it this way.
    Would you buy a carburated car or truck ?
    EFI is the ONLY way to go!
    Keep skiing!!!

Comment

I'd still buy a new carbureted car/truck if I could find one!
      1996 FlightCraft Barefooter—Merc 200 EFI
      1991 ProStar 190—Acme 475, GT40-P heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Mallory YLM Ignition
      (SOLD!)
      The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!

Comment

Originally posted by Laurel_Lake_Skier
        I'd still buy a new carbureted car/truck if I could find one!

Why?? Please explain

MC's owned:
        1986 Skier 19
        1995 ProStar 190
        2003 X-7

Comment

EFI all the way. I have seen the difference it makes on the snowmobiles, and it can only benefit on a boat.
          sigpicwww.boathouseh2o.com

Comment

Keep it coming everyone!!

MC's owned:
            1986 Skier 19
            1995 ProStar 190
            2003 X-7

Comment

Originally posted by André
              Well Jeff,let me put it this way.
              Would you buy a carburated car or truck ?
              EFI is the ONLY way to go!
              andre, how eloquent . could not have said it better myself. would only add that carb guys spend a lot of time tinkering trying to get it right.

Comment

Starting has been the biggest difference compared to my carb vs tbi boat... No pumping and no warmup period required to get it off the trailer... At least what seemed like forever to warm up the carb boat.

IF you trailered to different elevations I would think a EFI boat would have its benefits..

MAYBE a little better fuel mileage..

Some tinkering with the carbs, but I don't even want to think about having problems with the EFI....

My opinions.....

Comment

I would probobly go EFI.
                  But, what I do like about my carborated boat though is the fact that I can actually work on it myself, it takes a bit more than a backyard mechanic to work on the newer EFI engines.
                  STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER

Comment

I wouldn't not buy a boat because it has a carb, but given the choice, EFI is a no-brainer.

No maintenance (think carb rebuilds)
                    Starts very easy
                    handles Elevation differences easier
                    2x better gas mileage (I'm not kidding).
                    If one day you're asked:
                    " How did you spend your time here on Earth?"
                    Will you say:
                    "I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
                    It's time to SKI.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmer2880
                      I wouldn't not buy a boat because it has a carb, but given the choice, EFI is a no-brainer.

No maintenance (think carb rebuilds)
                      Starts very easy
                      handles Elevation differences easier
                      2x better gas mileage (I'm not kidding).

I didn’t not buy my boat because it had a carb but I agree, NO brainer..

The wife calls me abrasive
                      The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
                      But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo

Comment

I would prefer EFI, but I'm currently carbureted, and really don't mind it. When I start looking for a newer boat in a few years, I will probably be indifferent to the two. I searched long and hard for a good strong drivetrain, and ended up getting bitten by the gel coat, so if I find two boats, one carb one EFI, the one in better shape overall will win me over. There is definitely something to be said about the simplicity of a carbureted engine though, especially for someone like me who doesn't use the boat more than twice a month on average and who, for that reason, wants to spend less on a boat. For the same money I think that you will get a nicer carureted boat than EFI boat.
                        1991 Prostar 190 - Ambush 4 blade prop

Comment

Andre and I have disucussed this previously. All things being equal, even as an owner of a carb boat, you've got to go fuel injected. To do otherwise would be like enjoying water skiing, but living in a climate that only allows you to water ski a few months out of the year.

Once I got a decent carb, I haven't had to tinker, but it's always a possibility. In Texas, starts and warmup are not an issue. Fuel injected boats should be warmed up, too, before you run them hard. Nobody waits for me on the ramp. My boat starts first time every time with one pump of the throttle. But it doesn't lay up for 8 months at a time. Priming is not something that I would call a deal breaker. You're going to have to push the throttle forward eventually.

By the way, I voted fuel injection. But I'd take my boat over a lot of fuel injected boats out there. Rarely, is all else really equal.

What's a snow mobile?
                          Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jrandol
                            Why?? Please explain
                            As everyone has said...injection has advantages, quick starts, less adjusments.....when it is working correctly. The problem as I see it comes in if and when something goes wrong. With the carb, I can most likely handle the problem on my own. FI is going to be a different story. That is going to end up at the marina and at that point I am at their mercy on getting it back with a quick turn-around.
                            1996 FlightCraft Barefooter—Merc 200 EFI
                            1991 ProStar 190—Acme 475, GT40-P heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Mallory YLM Ignition
                            (SOLD!)
                            The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!

Comment

Feedback from High-Altitude

I had an 1985 Stars and Stripes. I had issues with the carb until I upgraded the can-style water separator to a spin on gas filter (from the 89 model as I recall), and added a gas in-line shut off valve for when I stored the boat in the winter to drain the gas from the carb. This was in NH for 20 years. I now live in Colorado. The altitude decreased my speed from almost 46 to almost 41, and the boat did not perform well for barefooting. Now there are things you can do (advance timing, change carb jet sizes, change props, etc) to get back some of the speed and not burn out the motor. However, my choice -upgrade to a 2004 MC 197 with fuel injection! This boy will not go back to carb -even if I come back out of the altitude :-) My experience has been that EFI is smooth, easy starting, efficient, no adjustments, and easier to find someone to work on that knows what they are doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X