Installing amps/sub in closed bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing amps/sub in closed bow

I am getting ready to install 3 amps and a 12 inch sub in the bow of my 89 prostar 190(closed bow). Has anyone put amps in their closed bow? It looks like I should be able to mount to the floor on the upslope in front of the drivers seat. I would like to leave the passenger side alone so I can continue to use it for storage. I have read that some people have use gorilla glue and plywood to mount the amps to the floor..I am thinking of making a thin box for the amps/cross over and mounting that to the floor.
    I am running one amp to the tower speakers/one to the sub/and the last one to the 4 speakers in the boat.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

i work in a stero store and would do custom stuff. i believe i should use wood but cover it with a water proof vinal. and also in close them in a plexe glass. so make a flat start like slant them or something for the start the see how high you amp would sit and then make walls a rould the amp and that high. then make a border that the glass can set in. and put a hing on it. that way if they blow you can replace them if they blow. for the sub u can do the same thing even if u want to see it you can build a box behind where u want it then cut the hole and u can put plexe in front it so it cant get water, but if u do that u can pick any sub u want even if its not water proof. the box would also have to be ported because the front is closed of. and also u could add neons and stuff. you could also fiber glass every thing so it look like it was there when u bought it. its hard to explain. i have other ideas if you dont like that one but just ask and tell me what u like and what u are thinking of and i could come up with something elts. if you lived by me i would do it for u cheap. never do it at a shop they over charge u. also if u have a shop that is cheap be careful because they **** **** u alot ask to look a pictures of there work. i got in to this stuff because i had someone do my car and they ****ed it up so i learned how to do and made it perfect.

Comment

hhmmmm????

Comment

Originally posted by MarcRaiderfan View Post
        I am getting ready to install 3 amps and a 12 inch sub in the bow of my 89 prostar 190(closed bow). Has anyone put amps in their closed bow? It looks like I should be able to mount to the floor on the upslope in front of the drivers seat. I would like to leave the passenger side alone so I can continue to use it for storage. I have read that some people have use gorilla glue and plywood to mount the amps to the floor..I am thinking of making a thin box for the amps/cross over and mounting that to the floor.
        I am running one amp to the tower speakers/one to the sub/and the last one to the 4 speakers in the boat.
        Any suggestions would be appreciated.
        I'm not sure what purpose Gorilla Glue will serve- you can mount them to the back of the area where the footrest is. You'll want to mount them away from the vent(s) and keep them off of the floor in order to keep them dry and to keep things from laying on top of them. Putting them in a box, especially a thin one that isn't much larger than the equipment, will cause them to overheat unless you use fans for cooling. If you mount them vertically, they'll take up less floor space, cool better and you'll have less problems. Keep the wires at the bottom- if water gets on the wires, it can drip into the amp if they're on top. Water doesn't go uphill very well.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyg View Post
          hhmmmm????
          Stay in skool, kidz.

Comment

Originally posted by JimN View Post
            I'm not sure what purpose Gorilla Glue will serve- you can mount them to the back of the area where the footrest is. You'll want to mount them away from the vent(s) and keep them off of the floor in order to keep them dry and to keep things from laying on top of them. Putting them in a box, especially a thin one that isn't much larger than the equipment, will cause them to overheat unless you use fans for cooling. If you mount them vertically, they'll take up less floor space, cool better and you'll have less problems. Keep the wires at the bottom- if water gets on the wires, it can drip into the amp if they're on top. Water doesn't go uphill very well.
            i agree with Jim..

Comment

I have a 400Watt Amp mounted in my closed bow. I built a sub box, carpeted to match and mounted my amp on the backside of the box. Once the amp is tuned you'll never need to touch it again. Mine has been up in the bow going on 9 years now and its never been a problem.
              KStateSkier
              "Le ore del mattino hanno l'oro in bocca"
              The morning hours are the most precious of the day!

Comment

On my 87 PS190 I have one big amp mounted vertically along the passenger side wall it doesn't really affect storage space and it's easy to get to. The amp is mounted to a piece of plywood and then the plywood cleated and wedged in place. I haven't had any issues so far.

Comment

I am sorry..I just re-read my post and it looks like I want to put my amps in a box. I meant a amp rack or mount them on the outside of the sub box. My sub is already in a box, but it isn't ported, so I thought I couldn't put holes in it. It is definatley big enought to be home to one of the amps.
                  Hey LYNRDSKYNRD.. that is a good idea, there is some space to the left right inside. I am trying to picture how you mounted the plywood..is it wedged between the dash and the floor?

Comment

u have to put everything in a box so it doesnt get wet and like one of the guys said u will have to put fans in it to that leads to a playes with a lot of air. you can use computer fans so they can be mounted any wear with out looking ugly even hiden behind a black or white mesh. i dont know what kind of boat u have for the where to put everything. what kind of boat do you have. and pictures i tryed to look it up to see the set up but i cant find it.
                    Last edited by csessions; 06-03-2009, 12:48 PM.

Comment

MarkRaiderfan,

Just a couple of concerns and thoughts.

When mounting anything to the sole, especially in the bow where the angle of the hull is considerable in both planes, don't use any screws within 3 or 4-inches of the perimeter. Its possible that the hull is directly beneath the decking.

Avoid moisture traps and keep everything off the sole, sub box, amp rack, etc. Aluminum 'L' brackets and aluminum channel plus HDPE or other polymer blocks and spacers useful for mounting and elevating your components.

A cabinet grade plywood constructed with solvent-based adhesives, versus water-based and then resin-coated (poly resin is good, epoxy resin is better) to seal it, provides for a good amp rack. Marine grade carpet with a rubber backing also creates a protective barrier.

MDO is readily available and is a good material for constructing a sub box. Its an exterior grade plywood used for external signage and such. And its absent of voids. You can also use MDF if its well sealed. Again, poly resin is acceptable, epoxy resin or bedliner is better. Any of these options are good as long as the enclosure is elevated off all carpeted surfaces. Moisture will be eventually wicked up through any sealer if the box is resting on a wet surface. A sealed enclosure will withstand exposure to water if you've provided for drainage.

Hope this helps.

David
                      Earmark Marine

Comment

Originally posted by MarcRaiderfan View Post
                        I am sorry..I just re-read my post and it looks like I want to put my amps in a box. I meant a amp rack or mount them on the outside of the sub box. My sub is already in a box, but it isn't ported, so I thought I couldn't put holes in it. It is definatley big enought to be home to one of the amps.
                        Hey LYNRDSKYNRD.. that is a good idea, there is some space to the left right inside. I am trying to picture how you mounted the plywood..is it wedged between the dash and the floor?
                        If you screw and glue a layer of whatever the box will be made of on one side, you'll have an amp mounting surface that you can screw into without having to worry about holed and it only adds 3/4" to the size. Also, if you will be carpeting it, you can just wrap the whole box and mount the amp board to that side, even if it's larger than the speaker enclosure.

HDPE and Star Board are good, but pricey. MDF, sealed with polyester resin works great and unless it stays in water, it's not usually a problem. If you don't want to worry about water wicking up from the floor via the carpet, use plastic blocks to elevate the whole thing.

Comment

What about the vibration of the sub on the amp mounted to its box?? No biggie??

Originally posted by bturner2
                          Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.

Comment

Wow I can't believe how fast I received so many great ideas... The more I research this the more I think I might just have a pro do it. I talked to Rio a Boss Tower Fabricator and audio installer today and he showed me an example of his amp racks. He uses these racks and mounts them with stainless steel brackets to but extra space under the amps and rack. I will attach a picture example...but it turns out looking pretty sweet..and lets the amps breath. I haven't decided weather or not I am going to do this myself. I will post the completion either way when I am done. Thanks for all the advice.

Here are the pictures;

http://webmail.aol.com/42952/aol/en-...veAs=photo.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
                              What about the vibration of the sub on the amp mounted to its box?? No biggie??
                              The box should be rigid and inert enough that the amp really won't feel much. If the box walls move enough that the amp is effected, the sound will suffer because any box vibrations are dissipating energy that should be vibrating air. Energy lost is sound lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X