Work Ethics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by michael freeman View Post
    Too easy to fall into that habit. Better to vent, throw it away, and try to find the positive.
    Yelling at a wall seldom does much to fix the problem, though. People voted for "change they can count on" but didn't care who was footing the bill for it. This guy needs to go away and, IMO, so does most of Congress. We need to go back to less government and more sense. People who didn't want to work weren't handed everything they could possibly need and then turn around to buy luxury items, cable/satellite TV and big expensive cars, like so many on government assistance do. That's plain WRONG. If someone is out of work and they get handouts, buying a thick, juicy steak isn't what they need when they can't afford a place to live or daily food. Buying steaks, booze and cigarettes when the kids are going hungry should not be allowed.

Comment

Honestly....its the parents. What type of work ethic are the parents instilling in their children? Seems like many parents (maybe most) are interested in their children being the popular child, or the star athlete.......so they have social recognition.

I myself am guilty of this sometimes I ask my son or daughter to do something and usually get an excuse as to why it cannot be done, they have something else to do, they are tired, something on their body hurts.......and I end up doing the task.

I just asked my son to take a plate upstairs from the basement last night........It became a bigger argument than telling him to go to bed!! Tired, can't take it....of course he is 7 so the excuses are still pretty mundane......So....I promised my wife last night that we were going to put an end to it. And his (and his 5 year old sisters) little spasms they throw when they don't get their way are going to stop being rewarded.

I think that most times parents overthink their childrens mental development and treat them as close to being an equal. In the overall scheme of things, my sons place on Maslows Heirarchy of needs is a hell of a lot different than my place on Maslows Heirarchy of needs......

If your title is "parent"......then don't be afraid to "parent".
      16' X-10
      04' X-9.
      91' Maristar 210.
      sigpic

Comment

" uphill both ways in two feet of snow"

somebodies getting old

Comment

a few of my friends don't even know how to use a tape measure.. hold a hammer.. figure out basic stuff.. they look at me all googley eyed when i can guess about how long something is just by looking at it.

personally i think you should be forced to take auto shop class, and wood shop.. those are skills everyone should have.

Comment

Many countries around the world have compulsory military service........
            Not sayin I'm for it......not sayin I'm against it........
            Just a point to ponder.....
            16' X-10
            04' X-9.
            91' Maristar 210.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Granite_33 View Post
              Many countries around the world have compulsory military service........
              Not sayin I'm for it......not sayin I'm against it........
              Just a point to ponder.....

I like the sh!t out of it, most boys could use a few more years to mature and the girls could too. I could have benefited from such a program. I do not mean the thing clinton did either, with pay. Could offer lower interest student loans along with the mandatory service, just to take the edge off.

Originally posted by bturner2
              Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.

Comment

Ok, throwing in my two cents...

Being young myself I can definitally see what your talking about, kids at school try to get "help" from other students. When they ask me I tell them (especially the ones that thought it was funny that I like McCain) no free lunches, of course then I'm the biggest jerk in their world. From what my friends tell me (most of them), they do very little around the house and such. Now that I broke my leg, my parents, myself, and especially my sister are learning how much I do around the house: take out the trash, clean, mow the lawn, rake the beach, clean the cars/boats, mow my grandpa's lawn, trim his bushes, and rake his beach. I had to laugh when my sister helped my dad put my grandpa's dock in for the very first time last week at how much she complained, and sat down (17 yrs old), whereas I've been doing it with my dad or cousins since I was 10, and it was killing me watching them work wishing I could help and that my leg wasn't broken ....but she does good in school (full ride to Univ of Miami to be a neurologist), which I struggle but usually end up with A's and A-'s, which I get not because I'm smart but because thats what my parents tell me to get .

All that being said (quite randomly) ^^ "defending myself", I would be willing to bet that 50% of the guys that posted on this thread (or in any other) posted from an office at WORK.

If you don't fall, you're not trying hard enough.

Comment

I have some friends in Austria, where military service is mandatory. They tell me all they do is drink for 6 months. I suspect that would happen with mandatory military service in North America too.

Comment

My physician's assistant weighs in at over 400 pounds and she smokes. I do what she says when I visit my physician because I am afraid she might try to eat me. My doctor tells me I need to lose 20 pounds and on the way out the 400 pound version of a female is stuffing her face with Skittles and heads out for a smoke. Nice society we have. As usual Jorski, you're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by zberger View Post
                      a few of my friends don't even know how to use a tape measure.. hold a hammer.. figure out basic stuff.. they look at me all googley eyed when i can guess about how long something is just by looking at it.

personally i think you should be forced to take auto shop class, and wood shop.. those are skills everyone should have.

I hear yeah on this one. I'm a shop teacher, and I may be young but I still believe the "old School" ways need to come back, computers are not the end all to cure all. They have there place don't get my wrong but, come on. Stop paying someone $50 for a oil change in your car when it costs you $15 in parts and a little work. Maybe this could be a reason for the recession as well? Its almost gotten to the point where I tell people that I cant do things with my hands because everyone "needs" something fixed.

DO WORK

Comment

Working...
                      X