'05 PS 197 TT died at idle and won't restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '05 PS 197 TT died at idle and won't restart

Ref 2005 PS 197 TT, 360 hrs: After 6 sets of skiing today, I was idling at the dock waiting for the trailer to be backed in and the engine quit running. I had just turned on my hot/cold shower to flush out the lines; not sure if that is relevant. Tried to restart, it turns over, tries to idle but dies. Brought it home and hooked up the fake lake, same systems...tries to idle, but dies.

Gas gage shows almost a half of tank; visually checked the tank and the gas is 4" high from the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump sits and 2" high in the rest of the tank. The fuel filter was replace 50 hrs ago.

Before I start chasing the famous fuel pump issues, is there anything else to check first?

Does anyone know what year MC changed/upgraded the fuel pumps?

Is there a separate circuit breaker for the fuel pump; I didn't see anything marked on the CB panel forward of the driver's seat?

tks, mac
    Last edited by macattack; 09-02-2009, 07:29 PM. Reason: remove CB pic, not relevant
    2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012

I had an similar issue with my 04' 197 MCX. Turned out to be the electrical connection to the fuel pump came loose at the pump. I unplugged the wire and pinched the metal connectors closer together and plugged it back in. It has worked like a charm ever since. When you turn the key to the on position you should hear the fuel pump start to prime if its working.

Comment

My first thought was the safety kill switch, but it sounds like you are saying that it is actually firing, but not idling, which would rule out the kill switch. If that is the case, then I would start looking at the fuel pump.
      2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
      www.sipnskicabin.com

Comment

fuel filter?
        Lots of power is good, more is better, too much is just right.

'91 prostar 190

Comment

Be willing to bet on a fuel pump. Throw a gauge on the fuel rail and see what the pressure is.
          -Cameron
          2007 ProStar 197
          1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Originally posted by Sodar View Post
            Be willing to bet on a fuel pump. Throw a gauge on the fuel rail and see what the pressure is.
            I would have to agree................
            sigpic

The Only Thing That You Can Give and Still Keep Is Your Word

Comment

Originally posted by macattack View Post
              Ref 2005 PS 197 TT, 360 hrs: After 6 sets of skiing today, I was idling at the dock waiting for the trailer to be backed in and the engine quit running. I had just turned on my hot/cold shower to flush out the lines; not sure if that is relevant. Tried to restart, it turns over, tries to idle but dies. Brought it home and hooked up the fake lake, same systems...tries to idle, but dies.

Gas gage shows almost a half of tank; visually checked the tank and the gas is 4" high from the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump sits and 2" high in the rest of the tank. The fuel filter was replace 50 hrs ago.

Before I start chasing the famous fuel pump issues, is there anything else to check first?

Does anyone know what year MC changed/upgraded the fuel pumps?

Is there a separate circuit breaker for the fuel pump; I didn't see anything marked on the CB panel forward of the driver's seat?
              tks, mac

FUEL PUMP FUEL PUMP FUEL PUMP

Call if you need one

[email protected]
              James (Jim) Kranendonk Pres-BAWS
              Tampa Bay's Exclusive MasterCraft Dealer

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
              (813) 996-BAWS (2297)

Comment

Thus far, I checked the kill switch which is OK, and as we assumed, the engine is firing/sputtering so that shouldn't be the issue.

The fuel filter was replaced 50hrs ago.

Turning the key to on, I can hear the fuel pump turn on so I assume the pump is OK???

Currently, I do not have access to a fuel guage; will track one down tomorrow and check the pressure at the rail.

Any other thoughts? tks, mac

Comment

You can get a fuel gauge at your local auto parts store for a reasonable price. I think I paid $30 or so for mine.

www.sipnskicabin.com

Comment

ncsone: tks, will check out the local auto parts stores; just saw this one on-line:

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7818-.../dp/B0006V2BI2

Comment

That looks like it. I think I got mine at Autozone. Last time I checked mine (same boat as yours) it was 59psi at the rail. Good luck!

www.sipnskicabin.com

Comment

Just because you hear the pump trying to prime it is NOT an indication that it is working......trust me i know. Mine had the same symptoms.
                        Fuel pressure gauge is what you need to be sure.
                        sigpic
                        04 197 TT LQ9 stargazer w/Z-Box
                        Tournament PB 1/4 buoy @ 35 off
                        Previous...
                        96 Prostar 205 Lt1
                        93 Prostar 205 HO
                        81 Leaves and stripes(Can. edition)

Comment

Yeh, the electrical connector has been known to be problematic, but if the pump spins up and doesn't generate enough fuel pressure because the pump's impeller is fried from overheating, then you'll get exactly the symptoms you describe.
                          '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

Originally posted by macattack View Post
                            Thus far, I checked the kill switch which is OK, and as we assumed, the engine is firing/sputtering so that shouldn't be the issue.

The fuel filter was replaced 50hrs ago.

Turning the key to on, I can hear the fuel pump turn on so I assume the pump is OK???

Currently, I do not have access to a fuel guage; will track one down tomorrow and check the pressure at the rail.

Any other thoughts? tks, mac
                            When my fuel pump went out I could hear it turn on too. I am 99.9% sure it's your fuel pump.
                            sigpic

The Only Thing That You Can Give and Still Keep Is Your Word

Comment

mac...., you shouldn't have to buy a guage. On your fuel rail, there should be a small black cap that twist on (just like on a car tire) remove that cap. Turn your keys on, you should hear the fuel pump prime, then depress the stem. If fuel comes out, its not pump! If no fuel, pump! Just had same exact thing happen to my 06 xstar. This is how mastercraft told me to check. My boat died while running in idle as well. Put in new pump, presto! It worked. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X