'02 x-star (205/x1) wake washy/finicky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '02 x-star (205/x1) wake washy/finicky

I just recently started fully filling my upgraded ballast. Until now, had been running it just slightly heavier than stock. Here is my setup:

Rear, two V-Drive sacks, no hard tanks, bulging full (~1000 lbs I believe)
    Stock center (~300)
    Front two side sacks (probably around 300 lbs total since they can't fully fill when under the seats).

Now, last week, with three passengers the wake was absolutely perfect at 22 mph.

However, this past weekend it was very finicky and I just couldn't get it right. There were 6 people in the boat, two up front (300#), four in back (660#). It was washy and a bit curled at the top. Once two people got out (who were sitting in the front) it was perfect again. While I was having problems, I gradually emptied the rears, which did not help. So, my question is: was there simply too much weight in the boat for that speed? Or, was this a sign that it was not weighted front to back properly? I did have the two up front move to the back, which didn't help, but I didn't try additional weight up front. Thanks.
    2002 X-Star
    http://www.nopowerturns.com

I have the same boat with fly high sacs in the bow mid and rear. I find that I get the cleanest wake with the bow and center full, the rear (750lbs max each) filled 3/4 full. clean wake 20 mph and up. I do some times need to adjust weight left to right to clean it up an the correct side (which ever side needs cleaning).

Comment

The wake curling over is usually a sign that you have too much weight in the rear. I've read that hull requires a lot of weight in the front to be really good. Increasing speed will also clean the wake up.

http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip029.asp
      1996 Prostar 190, 350 TBI and Powerslot

Comment

My buddy had an X-1 and he weighted it like this:

(No hard tanks)

(2) 400# sacs in rear lockers
        fat sac in ski locker
        750# sac in walkway

and for even more wake he would add another 400# sac across the walkway sac, but that was rare. Either way the wake was great! I think this hull like alot of weight up front.
        I was njskier on here.

Comment

Originally posted by nmcjr View Post
          I just recently started fully filling my upgraded ballast. Until now, had been running it just slightly heavier than stock. Here is my setup:

Rear, two V-Drive sacks, no hard tanks, bulging full (~1000 lbs I believe)
          Stock center (~300)
          Front two side sacks (probably around 300 lbs total since they can't fully fill when under the seats).

Now, last week, with three passengers the wake was absolutely perfect at 22 mph.

However, this past weekend it was very finicky and I just couldn't get it right. There were 6 people in the boat, two up front (300#), four in back (660#). It was washy and a bit curled at the top. Once two people got out (who were sitting in the front) it was perfect again. While I was having problems, I gradually emptied the rears, which did not help. So, my question is: was there simply too much weight in the boat for that speed? Or, was this a sign that it was not weighted front to back properly? I did have the two up front move to the back, which didn't help, but I didn't try additional weight up front. Thanks.
          You hit the answer on the head...too slow for the amount of weight. Next time try increasing speed (gradually) and see what happens.

Always remember:
          #1: Amount of weight
          #2: Placement of weight
          #3: Speed
          #4: Rope length
          "You do realize that a nutless monkey could do your job"

Les Grossman

Comment

With same boat and running more weight than you have, can always get a clean wake at 22 pretty easily. Might have to adjust left to right a bit so both sides are clean. Maybe your speedo is off and you are really running slower than you think?

Comment

Originally posted by treptowr View Post
              With same boat and running more weight than you have, can always get a clean wake at 22 pretty easily. Might have to adjust left to right a bit so both sides are clean. Maybe your speedo is off and you are really running slower than you think?
              How much do you run in the front? I GPS calibrated it earlier this year but I suppose I can try that again-although I have ridden a couple other boats this year and their 22 feels about the same. It's weird because I too thought I shouldn't have had any trouble getting it clean at 22, but will also try a little more speed next time.
              Last edited by nmcjr; 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling
              2002 X-Star

Comment

To clarify, the wash is not the type that washes just at or behind the rider, rather it was a line of wash down the entire length of the wake, right at the top. So, I guess this is a curl more so than a wash? And, it was on both sides.
                2002 X-Star

Comment

More weight in the bow. We run

800lbs - either side of the engine
                  300lb - ski locker ballast
                  750lbs - right above ski locker ballast

200-500lbs in front of back seat depending on amount of people in the boat.
                  www.waterskis.com
                  http://www.facebook.com/waterskis

Comment

To clarify, the wash is not the type that washes just at or behind the rider, rather it was a line of wash down the entire length of the wake, right at the top. So, I guess this is a curl more so than a wash? And, it was on both sides.
                    My guess is too slow for the weight. We run 750 trunk, 350 ski locker and 500 up front in a 1999 205 DD. When we start dropping below 21 it will wash from the boat all the way out. We normally ride between 23-26.
                    Searching for an XT22/23
                    08 X2
                    99 PS 205 Blue/White, LTR
                    91 PS 190 Red, 351w & Powerslot

Comment

SPEED, SPEED, SPEED...oh it might be SPEED related as well.
                      "You do realize that a nutless monkey could do your job"

Les Grossman

Comment

thanks all, will re-check speed calibration, then kick up the speed a bit. if that doesn't work , will move more weight forward.
                        2002 X-Star

Comment

I have the integrated bow sac up front plus usually 2 people in the bow. KGB and 400's in each rear locker. Driver plus 3 others spread evenly behind the windshield. I ride at 22, sometimes 22.5 with a clean wake.

Comment

I think you have too much weight in the rear compartments, I tried filling mine all the way to full 750lbs each and I would have to ride at a higher speed (higher than 22) to get a clean wake. Very hard to get the boat to plane out (even with the MCX) with the rear full. Try only filling the rear sacs 3/4 full.

Comment

Re-visiting the thread. So, I have added additional weight to the bow and brought speed up to 23.5 and I am ALMOST there.

If I fill the vdrive sacs until they are basicaly full, but not bulging and tight and add about 500 lbs to the bow the wake is great. I think this is about 400-450 on each side in the rear. I am getting the 500 lbs by filling two side sacs, one on the floor in the walkway and the other across the front seats, and on top of the other, like a cross.

My goal is to be able to fill the v-drive sacs all the way till they are flowing out the over flows, this way I don't have to time it and it will always be consistant, thinking simplification here. I also want to go to only one sac in the bow. To do this, I think I need about 700-800 in the bow, since with only the 500 there is just a little too much vert/lip for me.

So, I guess my question is two-part:

1. Does this weight ratio, 1100 rear, 300 locker, 750 bow seem like a good plan? (Assuming sacs fill to advertised weights, according to fly high website)

2. You guys that state that you put a 750 over the locker, how are you doing that, I can't picture it, since that area is only 12" wide and the 750 is 20x20x50? Are you putting it all the way forward in the walkway and letting it "squish" up higher than 20" to accomodate the narrower width or what? I am interested in whether that will work because it would mean I only have one to fill, but that walkway area seems WAY to narrow to accomodate the sac, and since I don't have the additional playpen cushion I don't know how else to only have one sac up there.

Any other thoughts on bow weighting appreciated, including can I add the playpen cushion and is that the way to go.

Sorry for the long rambling post and thanks!
                              2002 X-Star

Comment

Working...
                              X